Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
<i>I'm not sure how the description of Oregonians as "hicks" has any basis in reality. You can find that if you want (like eastern Linn county...), but generally no.</i>

Look, I am going to answer this seriously. This is the backend of beyond. It's hard to get in and out, and there's an insular culture to begin with so most people don't even want to go anywhere anyway.

There is little employment and little integration of the universities with the surrounding towns. The arts are at a very low standard. People come here away from their families to retire, and those people are old and tired and not up to creating the social connections necessary to bring the wider world with them.

"Hick" is obviously a charged word but it's accurate. It is the norm for people you meet going about your daily activities here to be provincial, narrowminded, untravelled, uneducated, incurious, and have very, very small horizons for their children and their futures.

There are other people here, sure, but this is the tone of the PNW as a whole.
Sounds like you've never lived anywhere but the NW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 PM

609 posts, read 808,642 times
Con: Not being able to pump your own gas.

When I lived in Arizona, I had getting gas down to an art form, especially the late-for-work-need-one-gallon emergency visits during my commute. I could pull up, whip my card through the machine, and have wheels rolling in less than 30 seconds.

In Oregon you have to wait for the person, then (to my shock) they often ask you to go inside to pay? Then you get to walk through the rain and stand in line with people buying cigarettes, lottery tickets, and paying for their own gas. Then your car fills up. Finally, you often have to wait for them to remove the nozzle and close your gas cap.

Time to let us pump our own gas!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 AM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Stop going to Arco and you wouldn't have to go inside. If you're paying by debit card, the money you spend each transaction eats up any pennies you save per gallon.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Either that, or learn to fill up your tank before it reaches the "emergency visit" level.

If it happens often enough that it's a serious irritant ... it's happening way too often.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
its not that bad here and i lived here all my life but im moving to califirnia for college but on good nots its not bad

Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 926 times
Looking to move to Salem, Oregon. I see that it seems to be the pace that our family needs in order to both work and attend school. I have a son with special needs (autism) and I'm getting mixed reviews on the schools there in regard to special ed programs. My husband's job prospects are actually looking better in Salem but would probably be a bit better in Portland. We're leaving California because he would an entry-level engineer and we can't afford to live here on that salary. Silicon Valley is nowhere near attainable for us and I've been wanting to live in Oregon for years. I live in a rural mountain town and it's beautiful but there's not much here, everything is down the mountain. I love Portland but I don't think I want to live in the surrounding areas outside of it, it's expensive in the actual city of Portland. I feel like Salem is a central location between the family members I have in Springfield, Clackamas and Forest Grove. I would love to hear from anyone who has any info to share about Salem. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:49 AM

151 posts, read 233,280 times
Jesser, I would start your own post on this subject. Also, search for "Salem". There might be other posts asking the same question recently.

Sounds like you've thought it through and I can't disagree with your reasoning. Portland is no longer inexpensive for young families, or entry-level workers, especially with kids. You are looking at living further out, which appeals to some people, or considering another community. I went to college in Salem long ago, and think it has some good things to offer, but haven't lived there in a long time.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:51 AM

151 posts, read 233,280 times
Oh, I notice that Salem also has its own forum. That is the place to go.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:21 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Indeed: https://www.city-data.com/forum/salem/

Old 07-13-2016, 05:40 PM

176 posts, read 177,254 times
So people from Oregon tell people from California to go home, everyone laughs and thinks it's funny.

But if Californian's tell Mexicans to go home, they're called racist and other nasty names.

Stay Classy Oregon!

I went to visit a friend in PDX. Nice place to visit, but I feel bad for those who live there and have jobs. They're gonna be sucked dry!

Loved the article in the weekly that was butthurt crying about Oregon's failed strwaberry industry and how the whole thing was the fault of evil california.

frickin' hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland