Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM

146 posts, read 300,159 times

Advertisements

I very much like the whole idea of living in/near Portland, but my question is actually about West Linn (as there may be a job there).

To what extent does West Linn have any of Portland's independent/alternative feel, and to what extent is it sort of AnySuburb USA? While I am certainly not a multi-pierced skateboarding vegan, I do like the idea of living in a place where I feel like I am within reach of interesting and unusual people. I do not want to offend anyone, but the little digging I have done on West Linn (here and elsewhere) makes it seem a little...dull? Is that accurate? If not, fill me in! If so, where might a person live that is within an easy commute of WL but that might have a more cosmopolitan flavour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
West Linn is one of the most beautiful (and expensive) parts of town. It may indeed be a little dull, but the pros overwhelm the cons.
You can always travel a short distance on the weekend to more 'entertaining' parts of town, and retreat to your tranquil, tree-surrounded castle the rest of the time. BTW, that's how I decided on my current house in Garden Home.

I also found that some kinds of 'interesting people' are best enjoyed in small doses

If you can get a job within a reasonable distance (commute to downtown PDX is nasty), and can afford the prices there, as a family place West Linn is as good as it gets, not just in Portland, but anywhere in the US.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
West Linn is a very nice suburban community, family oriented. The closest area with a 'vibe' would be down town Lake Oswego (around State Street and A Ave) which has several nice dining places and grocery stores.

Interesting, unusual people ... there must be some but there are few places to mingle.

West Linn isn't a bad commute from Portland and you would usually be going against traffic. You have a choice of Macadam or I-5. The intersection of I-5 and I-205 can get dicey. The Sellwood Bridge is undergoing replacement but the Sellwood neighborhood would be a good fit. Take 99W to I-205 until the bridge is fixed.

Grab the job, if you like it, and rent something close to your employment until you find the neighborhood that suits you.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
West Linn is a nice area. But, because of its geographical situation, perched on the side of the hill (it was originally called "Robin's Nest"), and it's proximity to Oregon City ... which was the "big city" of Oregon in its early years, it never had much of a "city" grow.

I wouldn't class it as "AnySuburb" but it's definitely not a Portland vibe. I agree with Nell, though. Sellwood's probably the closest "funky" neighborhood. On the westside of the river (if you don't want to cross over) I'd say John's Landing.

But as far as interesting and unusual people ... to quote Grimm ... "This is Portland, Jake. Nobody's normal."

Old 11-27-2013, 08:21 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Ah yes, I overlooked John's Landing. There are lots of options there, even as far north as the base of the tram (the end of the NS streetcar line). That neighborhood is called the South Waterfront. While it is still a work in progress there is plenty of action at River Place, or just take the streetcar to the Pearl/NW districts. Cycling from John's Landing to South Waterfront is easy.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:44 AM

192 posts, read 454,329 times
I live in West Linn and agree with all of the above posts. It's a place to raise a family, in my opinion. An average young adult would find it too dull. Most activities put on by the city or other local orgs are family oriented, i.e. Music in the Park, Movies in the park, holiday activities for children. Few restaurants, 2 "bars" that I can think of. You can do your grocery shopping here but will have to go elsewhere for most other shopping. In most parts of the city, shops and access to public transportation are not within comfortable walking distance. The people are mostly suburbanites; with an income that supports the housing prices you are looking at mostly white collar professionals. There are interesting people, but they will tend to look unremarkable.

This all works for my family. We moved from an urban desert, so we are still impressed by the beauty and quiet here. I like walking outside in the morning and seeing deer and waking up to birds in the spring. I like being able to walk to several parks.

That said, when the kids are done with school, I would love to live somewhere like Sellwood.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the info, all, and for understanding the spirit of my question.

I am very torn: part of me likes the sound of a tree-surrounded castle, but then another part of me prefers the idea of a more neighbourly area where you might be a little closer to those around you. I am in the UK right now, where being squished together is very much a fact of life, and although it has its fair share of issues, I do think I might go a bit stir crazy in full-on suburban seclusion. (I do take skiffrace's point about some people being best enjoyed in small doses...)

Old 11-28-2013, 09:50 AM

(Oh, and I'm not a 'young adult' in that I am married with two kids, aged 6 and 9 so I do like the idea of a 'good place to raise a family.' The comments I have read about the high schools in West Linn are very positive, although it sounds like there may be a bit of wealth-based snobbery. Is that something that anyone can talk about? I am guess the advantage of these schools is that they are well resourced and have a lot of activities on offer for students....)

Old 11-29-2013, 06:26 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Quote:
...it sounds like there may be a bit of wealth-based snobbery...
I wouldn't worry about that. Any (real or perceived) wealth shortcomings will be more than made-up for by your British accent.
They love it here!

Old 11-30-2013, 12:16 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
I wouldn't worry about wealth based snobbery in the suburbs. There is quite a bit of wealth in Portland city limits. Some people are snobs but most not, IMO. I guess I will borrow a British term and say anybody in West Linn who thinks they are posh are probably "twee". I would worry about being bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland