Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times

Advertisements

Based on Internet research, my family identified West Linn as a nice place to live and we made some decisions prior to moving here. For instance, we enrolled our children in preschool in West Linn even though we had never visited the place. They started school today and I was extremely pleased with how it went...the teachers seem terrific and my children settled in quite happily.

So now we are house hunting and I'm confused. Some areas of West Linn seem really run down...is West Linn in decline or was it once less nice and some neighborhoods are still catching up? We drove around many neighborhoods off 43 and there were entire blocks where the houses looked deteriorated and the yards were not maintained. Considering the high prices of West Linn, I wasn't expecting to see this...I'm not just talking about middle class homes vs. upscale ones, I'm talking about homes that look neglected. Can someone more familiar with the area advise me about what's up with West Linn? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 PM

My question must have been lame as no one answered. I'm just really fearful of making a bad house purchase as I already did that last year in another state!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
I imagine it's the catching up thing. Most of that area was pretty rural until not long ago.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:21 AM

59 posts, read 92,598 times
I dont have an answer, but I saw something similar and found it so odd.

High prices yet neglected neighborhoods... odd.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,543 times
Default West Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
So now we are house hunting and I'm confused. Some areas of West Linn seem really run down...is West Linn in decline or was it once less nice and some neighborhoods are still catching up? We drove around many neighborhoods off 43 and there were entire blocks where the houses looked deteriorated and the yards were not maintained. Considering the high prices of West Linn, I wasn't expecting to see this...I'm not just talking about middle class homes vs. upscale ones, I'm talking about homes that look neglected. Can someone more familiar with the area advise me about what's up with West Linn? Thanks!
Topaz,
I live and West Linn (5 years now) and I am also a real estate broker. West Linn does tend to be more pricey, but there are older areas of the city where the homes may not be as well-kept. Some of these homes get purchased and then fixed up, but it takes time for the whole neighborhood to turn over. Some of the older areas are Bolton, Cedaroak, Robinwood and Sunset. There are many fancy areas also: Barrington, Hidden Springs, Parts of Tanner, Pete's Mountain. We have homes that range from $300,000 up to $1,500,000 - from cottage and turn-of-the-century homes to farmslands and mansions.

I'm not sure if you schools are a factor in choosing West Linn, but we have a great school system that is very highly rated. In fact, my family moved from NE Portland to West Linn because of the schools and I haven't been disappointed. If you want to find out a little more about our town I co-author a real estate website about West Linn: [ur}moderator cut[/url]. Or, if you would rather, feel free to email me with any questions: moderator cut

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-04-2007 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: no realtor ads or emails

Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 AM

Thanks, everyone...I'm feeling better about West Linn because the school system is a major factor in why we chose it and the schools seem excellent. We've driven around the different areas more and it does seem that the extremely run down areas are being fixed up, just slowly and in patches. I'm having a bit of sticker shock since we moved from a less expensive state but so far we love Oregon so we think the high cost is worth it.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 PM

mojody - please send me your Web site URL via PM - I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Topaz

Old 05-26-2016, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,908 times
Wow, surprising! That is not what I have seen online or heard from locals. It is far away from Portland. The high school was superb. I am going to visit there ASAP. I do not plan to move. I want to do research and find the old family home. Nobody please email me your web site as well. Could you include contact information
Thank you!

Old 05-26-2016, 02:32 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
This thread is 9 years old, FWIW (mid-recession at that).

If you have questions I'd suggest making a new thread or looking for more recent threads that mention WL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland