Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM

154 posts, read 688,786 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a property in West Linn on Dillow Avenue, south of Mary Young State Park - does anyone know anything about that particular area? We are looking for safe and family-friendly.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
karelise...It's been a few years since I've live in that area (around Dillow Dr./Failing). FYI, check the link for the city of West Linn. You'll find a lot of relevant info on it.

There is Bolton Primary School in that neighborhood, art festivals at Mary S. Young Park (and the upcoming "Woofstock!"), and always happenings at Bolton Park (behind the school). And you'd be just a short walk to the River - have you been down the trails to the River from Mary S. Young? Overall, a nice, convenient little 'pocket' neighborhood - strictly residential.

Bad thing about it? Getting onto Highway 43 during rush hour times...patience is a virtue!

IMO, you shouldn't hesitate if your criteria are safe and family-friendly. As I've said, depending on where you are now, you'd be hard pressed to find a really bad neighborhood in West Linn (or Lake Oswego).

City Home Page | City of West Linn Oregon .

Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM

154 posts, read 688,786 times
thanks Seebee. We're not local yet so trying to figure it out via internet and photos anad google map. My husband will go out and look in a few weeks around Lake Oswego and West Linn (we're just renting whcih is the only reason we can afford those areas!). So nothing undesireable in either Oswego or West Linn?

thanks again! I've seen the city pages for both - they look promising but I have noticed in my research that sometimes the towns don't actually measure up. Do you feel like there is also a lot to do ( I just mean family stuff) in L.Oswego? I'm mildly concerned with maybe feelign isolated in these areas buthopeful there are plenty of parks, kids activities, etc..

Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 AM

472 posts, read 1,710,474 times
West Linn is altogether well-to-do, from middle-class (teacher married to police officer, for example) to high-end (CEO married to lawyer). There is very little crime, but also very little diversity of any kind-- lots of healthy, wealthy, shiny, happy, white people. Your kids would be very safe there, lots of family stuff to do. At the same time, IMO kids could be so cocooned, so socially isolated from real world problems, that they might not be able to adjust easily, once they leave home. There's also the problem of spoiled brats, extreme social and financial competition, and a general sense of entitlement and materialism.

If I had kids, I would put them in a place where they would not grow up thinking they are the Masters of the Universe. Instead, I'd put them in a town with some exposure to people from all walks of life-- different races, religions, political viewpoints, economic backgrounds, etc. That's the way I was raised, and I think it's helped me adapt to the world pretty well.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Well, undersireable? Yes. There's an area of Lake Oswego that's off of McVey, and the other part of the town which is on the western end very near I-5. Much too busy, noisy, transient-type traffic, commercial, etc. The Sunset area of West Linn looking over I205 is very noisy as well (but some spectacular views of Mt. Hood). And I think you'd have a far greater feeling of isolation (socially) in Oswego - it's terribly snooty.

One reason I like the area you mentioned is that its available land to build on is extremely limited. There are no traffic thoroughfares; traffic is mainly limited to people living there. The neighborhood is already established, and the possibility of huge changes is extremely remote. That's what I mean by 'pocket neighborhood.'

It all depends on your perspective and needs. Having moved to this area from a very large city I'd have to say again - there are no bad areas in either town. Bad to me means you can't walk down the street after dark, bars on windows, roaming bands of little wanna be toughs, addicts passed out on your door stoop, etc.

I am very partial to WL, or what it used to be. You have different criteria with small children than I; WL (and PDX in general) has gotten too busy and crowded for me.

Scone had some good points. But there are elitists everywhere, in every walk of life. Neither town is a great place to be if you are middle class [if we have such a thing anymore~] and struggling. I wish I could be of more help to you, but for familiy-oriented things to do, and general lifestyle? West Linn, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland