Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:42 PM

51 posts, read 122,477 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Portland for 5 years, I think I'd have to agree with stuckinseattle... I moved away recently and am very happy I did so. Portland can be very, oh what's the word, monotonous. Although I agree with the legions of people that espouse the outdoor activity lifestyle, I found it difficult and often times disheartening to attempt these things in 50 degree weather and light rain. Also, much like stuckinseattle stated - Portland is insanely isolated, and traveling to the east coast costs you a day of your time.

I understand why people love it there and if your ideal world includes grey skies, cooler temperatures, a culture that is introverted (for the most part), and often times rude (maybe it's the weather), then give it a shot. They've got killer coffee and the beer in the PNW is hands down the best on earth. For an IPA guy anyway.

I enjoyed my time there, for sure. But after 4 years of "the weather is never this bad", I had to get out and enjoy the sunshine I once knew and loved. And I'm glad I did, even though it's hot as ****. Come the fall and winter, I'll again be reminded of why I left the PNW.

Anyway, one man's opinion. You'll never realize how much you like the sun until you move to the PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM

122 posts, read 318,438 times
The beer is great, definitely.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,940 times
I've blasted the weather here as much as anyone (it's the first reason I'd choose to move); and I've been harsh on the attitudes present on the West Coast in general, but even I have to laugh at stuckinseattle's characterizations. They range from stretches, to over the top, to blatantly inaccurate!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 AM

122 posts, read 318,438 times
"Oregon has nearly 4 million people, abundant outdoor activities, a major metropolitan area, and a forward-looking voting bloc."

God, you're right. That's... that's all you need for sophistication and culture. How have I been so blind?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,681 times
The transportation is goodd for a city it's size. You must go to NYC for the best public transportation in the country or watch a gazillion documentaries on the subject.

OTE=CannedAdvice;20487296]This strikes me as a weak attempt at a troll, but I'll take it at face value anyway.

There is no statistical support whatsoever for your fact-based assertions, i.e. Oregon is disproportionately uneducated and retired. Oregon is ranked 24th in terms of population over the age of 65 (Florida, where the OP is from apparently, is 1st) and it's ranked 18th in terms of persons in the state over the age of 25 with a Bachelor's degree.

The 2011 Statistical Abstract: State Rankings

So the state is neither disproportionately uneducated, or elderly.

Your other remarks are subjective, wholesale slander of a state and it's supposed "narrow" view of the world that is, ironically, based on your own incredibly narrow experience in Oregon. Portland is considered one of the most modern, athletic cities in the nation with a vibrant cultural setting and probably the best public transportation system in the country. The majority of Oregon's voters lean to liberal, environmentally conscious causes, and consistently beat back reactionaries pushing for restrictions on gay rights, abortion, civil rights, etc.

There are certainly pockets in the state where you will find backward people, uneducated "hicks", and an "insular" environment, but that's true in every state. The major metro areas in the state: Eugene, Salem, Portland, and Bend, are not at all insular, and attract people from all over the country and the world. IN fact, it's a big reason that the real-estate boom and bust affected the state disproportionately hard: people like to live here, and flocked here in droves.

Oregon has nearly 4 million people, abundant outdoor activities, a major metropolitan area, and a forward-looking voting bloc. If you're smearing Oregon and brandishing all the people here as "hicks", it probably means you have some personal problems that colored your view of the area.[/quote]

Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
He does the same in the Seattle boards too.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLev555 View Post
Having lived in Portland for 5 years, I think I'd have to agree with stuckinseattle... I moved away recently and am very happy I did so. Portland can be very, oh what's the word, monotonous. Although I agree with the legions of people that espouse the outdoor activity lifestyle, I found it difficult and often times disheartening to attempt these things in 50 degree weather and light rain. Also, much like stuckinseattle stated - Portland is insanely isolated, and traveling to the east coast costs you a day of your time.

This has been said before and it makes absolutely no sense. If you are traveling from say, non-isolated Los Angeles to non-isolated New York, it still takes 5 or more hours flying time. Maybe more actually because it would probably take longer to get to and from the airports and through security in these cities. It takes pretty much a day, door to door, to fly from one coast to the other, no matter where you're going. So how, exactly, is Portland isolated?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,608 times
For an "isolated" city, Portland is certainly having a lot of impact lately.

Even here in NYC we feel it, from the popularity of shows like Portlandia, to Stumptown Coffee everywhere and the Ace Hotel. The cheese guy from the place in Mt. Tabor won a major cheese pairing contest on Long Island over here.

We are looking forward to being in a relatively sophisticated place that has a lot more green space, more affordable daycare and playspace options, and better food trucks.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,681 times
I agree that it is easy to feel that Seattle and Portland are very isolated when you are living in NYC for many years. It took me many years to get out of the "center of the universe" thing that happens when you live in NYC and even other big or biggish East Coast cities. I would go home to S.F. for a vacation and feel that it was very small. The Bay Area has about 6 million people, I guess, but that is pretty small compared to NYC that has 10 million, alone. That is people that are accounted for since it is easy to be illegal in NY. Now that I have moved many, many times and have lived in more remote places than Portland, I don't feel isolated in the PNW and Seattle actually feels like a "big city". Everything is relative, I suppose. I do warn NYers who are coming fresh from the city to prepare themselves for a possible let down or to feel isolated. It is pretty normal to feel that way after living in one of the most exciting places in the world. You need to readjust and the West coast in general is quite different from the East coast, especially the big cities. Just my two cents...

Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 AM

39 posts, read 47,749 times
I don't understand these people who move from Boston or NY or LA to Portland, notice the huge differences, and then complain about them.

What did you expect? The climate in the PNW is well known, and easy to research. Portland has about 2 million in its metro area, max, so obviously it's going to be a big change from LA, NY, Boston, Miami, etc. The opportunities are fewer, the people less diverse? Gasp! You don't say?!

If you move to Portland and complain about the weather there, it's high time you attend a remedial reading/comprehension course and try again with another city, this time researching climate descriptions on wikipedia or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland