Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 09:01 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,751,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I know. Actually, a German living in Portugal who wants to move to the U.S.

I'm confident the anti-second amendment tyrants will fail but there will be legal battles for years to come.
Well the Tyrannus Erectus that still walks amongst us humans will never give up. Their defect is that they truly believe that they are born to rule over others and that they are superior to everyone else.

I am starting to feel sorry for them in a way. What a strange and frightening world it must be to live in when you fear humans and freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 AM

1,984 posts, read 3,886,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Personally, I hate guns. I choose not to own them. I think you are much more likely to have one of your kids shoot his friend accidently than to shoot an intruder. I think people who carry a gun all the time are paranoid. In 36 years I have never been in a situation where a gun would have been helpful or useful. Neither has my father, mother, brother, sister-in-law, uncle or anyone else in my family...

However, if you want to carry one, and follow the law, that's your right.
Are people who have life and health insurance, fire extinguishers, alarms on their houses and cars, etc. paranoid? Owning and carrying a gun are the same thing. You hope you never have to use it but great to have if you need it. You hate guns, which is a form of phobia called hoplophobia. Your comments about kids shooting friends is a line that has no basis in fact that has been spewed by the anti-gunners for decades. Yes it does happen and it's terrible but it happens so infrequently that it's an aberration not a common place occurrence. As you say, those of us who do want to own and carry have the right to. No one is trying to force you to do the same. That's what freedom is all about.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,824,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Well the Tyrannus Erectus that still walks amongst us humans will never give up. Their defect is that they truly believe that they are born to rule over others and that they are superior to everyone else.

I am starting to feel sorry for them in a way. What a strange and frightening world it must be to live in when you fear humans and freedom.
Funny little people

Anyway, guns to me are an anachronism, just like death penalty. There might have been a place and time for them centuries ago, when there was all kind of fighting going on and there was no established system to settle disputes, but time has moved on...

The defense against tyranny is an illusion. The way to get rid of politicians today is by voting, publishing, and suing in case they did something illegal. Since the US population is more or less split in two big blocks all the killing of a politician deemed a tyrant by one half would achieve is a kind of civil war.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Funny little people

Anyway, guns to me are an anachronism, just like death penalty. There might have been a place and time for them centuries ago, when there was all kind of fighting going on and there was no established system to settle disputes, but time has moved on...
Problem is, the system, or "laws" are only followed by the obedient. Court systems, "law enforcement" thugs, are completely useless in a self-defense situtation. And guns are no more "sinister" than the bottom of my foot. If I am a thug willing to kill you, it does not matter if I shoot you or crush your skull under my foot. What matters is that people have the ability to defend themselves as best they can.

Quote:
The defense against tyranny is an illusion. The way to get rid of politicians today is by voting, publishing, and suing in case they did something illegal. Since the US population is more or less split in two big blocks all the killing of a politician deemed a tyrant by one half would achieve is a kind of civil war.
"Voting" is a fraud. Government, regardless of who is in power, has a monopoly on "sanctioned" violence. It writes its own rules, it has its own judges, it has its own armed gangs. "Democracy" in the best case scenario is as enlightened as simple mob-rule. Some Americans actually believe in individual freedom, I know, that is funny but true. As long as "government", whatever the form, has armed thugs on the payroll, people must have arms at their disposal for there to be any chance of keeping the mental defects from abusing their power.

Live and let live.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,173,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Are people who have life and health insurance, fire extinguishers, alarms on their houses and cars, etc. paranoid? Owning and carrying a gun are the same thing. You hope you never have to use it but great to have if you need it. You hate guns, which is a form of phobia called hoplophobia. Your comments about kids shooting friends is a line that has no basis in fact that has been spewed by the anti-gunners for decades. Yes it does happen and it's terrible but it happens so infrequently that it's an aberration not a common place occurrence. As you say, those of us who do want to own and carry have the right to. No one is trying to force you to do the same. That's what freedom is all about.
Life, health insurance, fire extinguishers, alarms on houses and cars are not the same thing as guns. Only a complete dipwad would make that argument. Who was the last person to be killed accidental by a car alarm. How does life insurance give you, a stranger, power to kill me any time you choose to if we're proximate...

As far as "no basis in fact" From the CDC:

The 2002 edition of Injury Facts from the National Safety Council reports the following statistics:

In 1999, 3,385 children and youth ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries.
This is equivalent to about 9 deaths per day, a figure commonly used by journalists.
The 3,385 firearms-related deaths for age group 0-19 years breaks down to:
214 unintentional
1,078 suicides
1,990 homicides
83 for which the intent could not be determined
20 due to legal intervention
Of the total firearms-related deaths:
73 were of children under five years old
416 were children 5-14 years old
2,896 were 15-19 years old

Regarding the bogus term "hoplophobia." This was coined by a member of the gun-toters lobby... as a way of marginalizing opponents. It is not from any mental health professional, or recognized in the DSIV. Nice try. It seems to be defined by the "irrational fear of weapons." I think its completely rational to fear jingoistic morons toting weapons when I am a member of a minority group that has been subject to hate crime violence in the past...

Again, I believe it is still your right to carry if in accordance with local law... I just don't see the need to carry. I guess I am just not as scared of everything as you are.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Are you an anarchist? To you everyone with more power than you is a thug...

Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Are you an anarchist? To you everyone with more power than you is a thug...
I don't believe that anarchism can exist. It is simply a transitional stage. I am a pure libertarian, objectivist, voluntaryist.

The amount of power has nothing to do with it. It is when one uses that power to initiate force, use aggression, that they are a thug. Hope that helps.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
In 1999, 3,385 children and youth ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries.
Wow that many?

And to think that everyone is fine with automobiles.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,035,418 times
Quote:
Life, health insurance, fire extinguishers, alarms on houses and cars are not the same thing as guns. Only a complete dipwad would make that argument. Who was the last person to be killed accidental by a car alarm. How does life insurance give you, a stranger, power to kill me any time you choose to if we're proximate...

As far as "no basis in fact" From the CDC:

The 2002 edition of Injury Facts from the National Safety Council reports the following statistics:

This is equivalent to about 9 deaths per day, a figure commonly used by journalists.
The 3,385 firearms-related deaths for age group 0-19 years breaks down to:
214 unintentional
1,078 suicides
1,990 homicides
83 for which the intent could not be determined
20 due to legal intervention
Of the total firearms-related deaths:
73 were of children under five years old
416 were children 5-14 years old
2,896 were 15-19 years old

Regarding the bogus term "hoplophobia." This was coined by a member of the gun-toters lobby... as a way of marginalizing opponents. It is not from any mental health professional, or recognized in the DSIV. Nice try. It seems to be defined by the "irrational fear of weapons." I think its completely rational to fear jingoistic morons toting weapons when I am a member of a minority group that has been subject to hate crime violence in the past...

Again, I believe it is still your right to carry if in accordance with local law... I just don't see the need to carry. I guess I am just not as scared of everything as you are.
Bold emphasis mine: Gang related killings boost the number of "child related fireams deaths" that gun control advocates love to tout.

So you object to the term hoplophob but not to "jingoistic morons"?

Actually the term "holophobe" was coined by Col. Jeff Cooper, a worl renowned firearms instructor and not a member of the "gun toters lobby" as you call it. Get your facts straight. If you are capable of learning and having a open mind you might actually learn something from Col. Coopers lecture on mindset.

Repeatedly in your posts you project your own "fear" onto those who choose to take personal responsibility to defend themselves and their families through proactive preparation and training. Why is that? Are you so closed minded that you can only name call and project? No law-abiding firearms owner wants to force you tocarry a firearm to take personal responsibility to protect yourself or your family. Why then do you choose to denigrate those who choose personal responsibility? I think that disorder from which you suffer can be identified by the DVIS. Maybe you should seek mental health counseling yourself?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I don't believe that anarchism can exist. It is simply a transitional stage. I am a pure libertarian, objectivist, voluntaryist.

The amount of power has nothing to do with it. It is when one uses that power to initiate force, use aggression, that they are a thug. Hope that helps.
So, who are those armed thugs on the payroll of government? Police? The Army? Do you know what your country would look like without them, if it still existed, that is...

How about a shooter's license (based on lessens, exams, psychological evaluation etc.) everyone has to get before being allowed to have a gun? I mean, people are not even allowed to drive cars without a license, and cars take lives, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies