Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,149,846 times

Advertisements

...then why is the murder rate 2x the national average and car theft 3x the national average in Phoenix...

Hint: The answer is not illegal aliens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
Let me guess. It must be interstellar aliens.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM

380 posts, read 643,096 times
I'll take a little more freedom in exchange for a little less safety any day.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
I'll take a little more freedom in exchange for a little less safety any day.
No no no... The argument made by the gun lobby is that less stringent gun laws results in more people carrying, which results in safer communities...

Almost all of the concealed carry folks would make the argument that they carry, at least in part, for safety... So why isn't Arizona-- or at least the Phoenix area--- safer?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No no no... The argument made by the gun lobby is that less stringent gun laws results in more people carrying, which results in safer communities...

Almost all of the concealed carry folks would make the argument that they carry, at least in part, for safety... So why isn't Arizona-- or at least the Phoenix area--- safer?
I don't care whether the freedom to carry w/o a permit results in less or more safety, but rather I applaud the freedom to carry w/o a permit.

If the result is less safety so be it.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I don't care whether the freedom to carry w/o a permit results in less or more safety, but rather I applaud the freedom to carry w/o a permit.

If the result is less safety so be it.
So are you saying that the major argument by the pro-gun lobby that guns make us safer may be bogus?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
So are you saying that the major argument by the pro-gun lobby that guns make us safer may be bogus?
I have not read a study on it so I cannot say. I do read the anecdotal evidence of individuals defending themselves all the time. I personally feel safer with home protection.

Most importantly, however, is that the 2nd Amendment is an essential part of American democracy. As the founding fathers knew, a well-armed populace is essential in the defense of a free state:

A tyrant coming to power at the federal level, through a military coup, illegal appointment, or fraud election, for example, is far outnumbered by the unorganized militia of the United States, consisting of every U.S. citizen between 18 and 45, and legally obligated by state laws to fight at the order of the governor in the event of insurrection, invasion, or war.

Like Ben Franklin said, anyone willing to sacrifice freedom for security in the end loses both.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Most importantly, however, is that the 2nd Amendment is an essential part of American democracy. As the founding fathers knew, a well-armed populace is essential in the defense of a free state:

A tyrant coming to power at the federal level, through a military coup, illegal appointment, or fraud election, for example, is far outnumbered by the unorganized militia of the United States, consisting of every U.S. citizen between 18 and 45, and legally obligated by state laws to fight at the order of the governor in the event of insurrection, invasion, or war.
Again, I am not talking about this mythical impending government overthrow that sounds to me a little paranoid...

I am simply asking why, if the NRA et al keep telling us that guns make us safer, why the statistics don't seem to bear this out...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
...then why is the murder rate 2x the national average and car theft 3x the national average in Phoenix...

Sorry, but yes it is. The illegals have swarmed over the area, like a hoard of locusts.

Phoenix is also the kidnapping capital of the nation.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,715,644 times
Quote:

Drug Cartels supplying Americas need for illegal drugs are the reason for the murder rate, as for stolen cars, you can take one and be in another country before it is reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies