Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 06:12 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,710,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post

Yip.
Well I said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
She probably made an issue out of it because it was a policy to only allow opposite sex couples to attend. If that policy wasn't in place nobody would had to say a word. And sometimes when you buy tickets you have to buy them as a pair and NAME the couple going. It would be obvious.

This is an event for the school kids. I don't think policies like this are needed since the social peer group will define what is acceptable and what isn't. And if you aren't you can deal with the reprocussions yourself. That's freedom for you.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,834,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
She's a beautiful girl, leave her be.
no doubt. . . . just that I now am less confident of my initial impression -- a publicity stunt for attention. if her feelings are sincere, it makes the board's actions all the more wrong.

but i also feel the whole pressure and focus of kids going to a school sponsored event as "a couple" is wrong in the first place. these things start in 6th! grade.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM

228 posts, read 507,904 times
First and foremost before I say anything, whether you are conservative or liberal or some other viewpoint, I am not trying to convince you that you have to like what homosexuals do. I don't like what homosexuals do. But what I do like is that we're supposed to live in a country where one can live peacefully without any fear of persecution.

If a girl wants to sleep with another girl or a guy wants to sleep with another guy, that is their right. Unless they do something that would directly affect me, what they do in their own lives public and private, does not affect me whatsoever. What I am saying is while I don't approve of the homosexual lifestyle it is not my place to decide whether another person can or cannot live said lifestyle. If this is a free country and these two girls cannot be free to live the way they want to live that's not freedom.

As for the so-called "gay agenda" being rammed down our throats like one poster put it maybe the reason there is a gay agenda is because a lot of Americans don't know how to mind their own business and they feel they need to stick their noses into other people's lives to the point of persecution. And for the Republicans/Conservatives who say there should be less government in people's lives, it's ironic that they are the same people who would try to pass laws outlawing same-sex marriage. I feel less government should include personal freedoms as well.

As for this school in Mississippi canceling the prom over this, maybe they did this so the rest of the student body can take out their frustration on this lesbian couple? A more feasible solution should've been just ban the lesbian couple but I guess they want to fan up the flames of intolerance, similar to the same-race couples only prom they tried to pull a few years back.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 PM

22,217 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Because people like her want to force their ways onto others is why.

They can have their own freak show prom off school grounds if they wanted to attend their own freak show prom.

Other kids did not want to see two girls or two boys kissing and slobbering all over each other and ruin their own prom with this crap.

Gosh, this has become a sick world when freaks try to push their illness on others like this.
Yes you are right it is a sick world when hate mongering bigots have so much power they can shut down an entire prom because of fear of two people of the same sex dancing together or kissing......

Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,800,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
Well obviously the school saw them as a problem and ended the problem. If the kids want a prom then they can throw one for themselves. The school did the correct thing.
Spoken like a true Republican

Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Just remember, freedom isn't free. The price of freedom is that we each have to tolerate things we may not necessarily be comfortable with.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,800,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
She probably made an issue out of it because it was a policy to only allow opposite sex couples to attend. If that policy wasn't in place nobody would had to say a word. And sometimes when you buy tickets you have to buy them as a pair and NAME the couple going. It would be obvious.

This is an event for the school kids. I don't think policies like this are needed since the social peer group will define what is acceptable and what isn't. And if you aren't you can deal with the reprocussions yourself. That's freedom for you.
Mississippi is useless as a milk bucket under a bull. Proms are pretty useless too. Did not go to mine, had no desire to go. I actually was rooting for "Carrie" when she wrecked the prom!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Mississippi is useless as a milk bucket under a bull. Proms are pretty useless too. Did not go to mine, had no desire to go. I actually was rooting for "Carrie" when she wrecked the prom!
I do agree about proms. It amazes me how individuals pay $500 for one night, that includes a dress or a tux they'll never wear again.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,056,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Other kids did not want to see two girls or two boys kissing and slobbering all over each other and ruin their own prom with this crap.
Proof. Because, from what it seems like, it was only the adults getting their panties in a twist.

Again, public schools. If one allows a hetero couple at a dance, one must allow a homo. Otherwise, it's discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies