Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,376,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The prom is a secular public event held on public property. There is no reason any particular religious group should be allowed to impose their "morality" on a public event. Therefore the school should have held the prom and welcomed the couple just as they would welcome any other students and guests.

We must preserve our individual freedom to be different in public affairs and events. Anything else is imposing an arbitrary morality on people that do not consider it binding on them. This was a public dance not a church event. I would never suggest that the government tell a church who or what they could allow or not at one of their closed private events. That is their business and the school prom is the government’s business.

TI – Your, or the church’s, disgust with the assumed “activities” of these two people in their privacy of their own bedroom, is completely irrelevant to the discussion of having a public prom dance.
This is a very good point but it also shows you how vastly different this country functions depending on your area or state. You would think something as basic as the separation of church and state would occur even in states with large Evangelical populations but apparently Evangelical dogma ie Christian Taliban won over and essentially said screw the Constitution. This is exactly why I and most people can't live in the South. It's an entirely different world. The Evangelical population in these states run the place like the Taliban
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,315,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't get it either. Apparently if you are a conservative and you are introduced to your neighbors Mike and Sue, the first thing that comes to mind is them having sex. Must be, otherwise why would they bring it up EVERY time anything "gay" is discussed. How does discussing 2 girls attending a prom automatically lead a poster to think of fisting? I would say the problem lies in the posters warped thoughts, it's the only explanation.
I wonder if they also think about how Mike and Sue are shoving their lifestyle down society's throat simply by existing openly as a couple.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 PM

In all seriousness, how do people distinguish between the Taliban and Evangelicals like the ones in this incident? I'm not talking about Al Qaeda but the Taliban that ruled Afghanistan and imposed their sense of law based on their religious beliefs. This is the same thing. I know people think we are just being mean spirited but we are not. There is a lot of credibility to the idea that Evangelicals are a Christian Taliban. This story is evidence of that

Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 PM

22,262 posts, read 19,580,375 times
Truly disgusting, right wing hate takes over again.. And they say its the gays with the agenda??

I graduated high school 10 years ago, several people (guys and girls) had same-sex dates at the Senior Prom, no one cared, no one batted an eye

Old 03-11-2010, 12:53 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,255,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The American Taliban strikes again! Just like the Taliban, they impose their sense of morality on the public.

And where is this taking place...that's right the SOUTH but heaven forbid, we don't want to stereotype the South. This happens everywhere right, this is just another coincidence
So you think you have the right to impose your morality on the people if Mississippi. Imposing morality is a two way street
I think the parents can host their own prom separate from the school.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM

968 posts, read 2,632,981 times
cancelling a prom because two girls wanted to go together is the same as cancelling a prom where a white person and a black person wanted to go together back in the 40's...

they shouldn't have asked permission. they should have just done it and no one would have noticed.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,161,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
It is a school function therefore they have the right to cancel it if they want. No point in it being national news just another example of homosexuals trying to jam their disgusting lifestyle down everyones throat.
You like it down the throat huh?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you think you have the right to impose your morality on the people if Mississippi. Imposing morality is a two way street
I think the parents can host their own prom separate from the school.
That's kind of like arguing that by allowing Jewish kids to attend a school, you are imposing your morality on the Evangelical students who don't believe in Judaism.

This is a public school system. There is a separation of church and state. No one has a right to exclude people based on religous grounds. Also, it's not a coincidence, this same school district was sued for having student led Bible teachings over the intercom.

Like I said, this is nothing more than a Christian variant of the Taliban

Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,829,300 times
Quote:
In all seriousness, how do people distinguish between the Taliban and Evangelicals like the ones in this incident? I'm not talking about Al Qaeda but the Taliban that ruled Afghanistan and imposed their sense of law based on their religious beliefs. This is the same thing. I know people think we are just being mean spirited but we are not. There is a lot of credibility to the idea that Evangelicals are a Christian Taliban. This story is evidence of that

They distinguish it on the basis of Christianity vs Islam.
Christianity seems to be something that isn't supposed to be questioned in this country but it seems socially acceptable to bad mouth Muslims and Islam.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,255,487 times
Quote:
That's kind of like arguing that by allowing Jewish kids to attend a school, you are imposing your morality on the Evangelical students who don't believe in Judaism.

This is a public school system. There is a separation of church and state. No one has a right to exclude people based on religous grounds. Also, it's not a coincidence, this same school district was sued for having student led Bible teachings over the intercom.

Like I said, this is nothing more than a Christian variant of the Taliban
Your morality says its OK for all. Like it or not that is a morality. For those that oppose that morality you are imposing your morality on them,.
So before you get to far into this American taliban thing, realize you are also imposing morality. The difference is you agree with your morality so you call the other side the American taliban, something they could call you.
Mo one excluded then they canccled the prom for all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies