Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,055,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you think you have the right to impose your morality on the people if Mississippi. Imposing morality is a two way street
I think the parents can host their own prom separate from the school.
Here's the thing. Penalizing for discrimination=/="imposing morality". Discrimination is wrong, period.

Basically, the school couldn't bar the gays from going to the prom, so they cried to the school board, and got the event cancelled. Techically not discriminating, therefore they can't get into any trouble. But still disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,833,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In all seriousness, how do people distinguish between the Taliban and Evangelicals like the ones in this incident? I'm not talking about Al Qaeda but the Taliban that ruled Afghanistan and imposed their sense of law based on their religious beliefs. This is the same thing. I know people think we are just being mean spirited but we are not. There is a lot of credibility to the idea that Evangelicals are a Christian Taliban. This story is evidence of that
i think it's quite a stretch to label anyone who is pro-ban. one could be against this for a number of reasons -- both good and bad.

I don't really care if two girls go but the whole idea of wearing a tux sounds like a attention grabbing stunt to me. That, and I'll say this half tongue in cheek, the girl's too hot to convince me she's gay and not on some stunt.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v228/334/1/n1060817287_8682.jpg (broken link)

I still think the board's wrong but am certainly open to one feeling that the event is for all the kids -- and not a showcase for one. Would they be wrong to forbid some guy dressing in a prom dress with heels? The girl got her 15 minutes. Let them dress appropriately, dance and act appropriately, and attend the prom.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
i think it's quite a stretch to label anyone who is pro-ban. one could be against this for a number of reasons -- both good and bad.

I don't really care if two girls go but the whole idea of wearing a tux sounds like a attention grabbing stunt to me. That, and I'll say this half tongue in cheek, the girl's too hot to convince me she's gay and not on some stunt.

I still think the board's wrong but am certainly open to one feeling that the event is for all the kids -- and not a showcase for one. Would they be wrong to forbid some guy dressing in a prom dress with heels? The girl got her 15 minutes. Let them dress appropriately, dance and act appropriately, and attend the prom.
One of the hottest chicks I know is a lesbian. She's Sports Illustrated swimsuit addition hot....and has NEVER been into guys.

Maybe the gal's trying to make a point, who cares? My sisters best friend wore pinstripe pant, a wife beater, suspenders and chuck taylors to her prom. Big whoop.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Whether or not she's trying to make a stunt, it's still discrimination and wrong.

However, all a prom really is nowadays is a showcase. If she wanted to wear a tux, then I don't really see any problems with it. Some girls aren't comfortable in dresses.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,803,835 times
Quote:

Too hot to be a lesbian?

I get the whole, "You're too pretty to be a lesbian" and "You're too girly to be a lesbian" as if ALL lesbians are ugly and masculine or something. Sure there are masculine lesbians but I know plenty of lesbians that love skirts, high heels, make-up, etc. I'm not big on make up but I love skirts and some high heels.

I think my girlfriend is very pretty (otherwise she wouldn't be my girlfriend) and she gets the whole, "You're too pretty to be a lesbian" too.

Sexual orientation is not defined to a look. Come on now!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,324,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Your morality says its OK for all. Like it or not that is a morality. For those that oppose that morality you are imposing your morality on them,.
So before you get to far into this American taliban thing, realize you are also imposing morality. The difference is you agree with your morality so you call the other side the American taliban, something they could call you.
Mo one excluded then they canccled the prom for all
No, my morality says to deny wingnut Evangelicals from attending a prom but my personal morality has nothing to do with this. I respect this country and that means I have to respect people of different faiths including Evangelicals hence the reason I wouldn't deny you access to a prom. It's about the law. You can still disapprove of homosexuality on personal grounds but you live in the United States of America not the United States of Evangelicals and thus you have to respect the law and allow a gay couple to attend. But since Evangelicals are a type of Taliban, they don't care about freedom of religion, they want to impose their sense of religion on everyone else. That's not what this country was founded on. In short, that is un-American.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 PM

971 posts, read 1,296,331 times
Quote:
the girl's too hot to convince me she's gay and not on some stunt.
What a disgusting comment. Shame on you.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No, my morality says to deny wingnut Evangelicals from attending a prom but my personal morality has nothing to do with this. I respect this country and that means I have to respect people of different faiths including Evangelicals hence the reason I wouldn't deny you access to a prom. It's about the law. You can still disapprove of homosexuality on personal grounds but you live in the United States of America not the United States of Evangelicals and thus you have to respect the law and allow a gay couple to attend.
Bam. Right there. I have personal beliefs regarding the silliness of Silver Ravenwolf "Wiccans". But I'm not going to bar them from any functions simply because I find them hilarious.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,324,589 times
Quote:

Waitasecond, this wouldn't be a showcase if the Evangelicals didn't make it one. Outside of Jesusland ie the South and rural areas, it's normal to have gay couples at proms and it's not a big deal. This girl is being brave and decided to stand up for her civil rights despite being in a Biblical hot zone. She could have taken the easy way out and pacified the locals.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Too hot to be a lesbian?

I get the whole, "You're too pretty to be a lesbian" and "You're too girly to be a lesbian" as if ALL lesbians are ugly and masculine or something. Sure there are masculine lesbians but I know plenty of lesbians that love skirts, high heels, make-up, etc. I'm not big on make up but I love skirts and some high heels.

I think my girlfriend is very pretty (otherwise she wouldn't be my girlfriend) and she gets the whole, "You're too pretty to be a lesbian" too.

Sexual orientation is not defined to a look. Come on now!
I get that all the time!

I'm a 6' tall woman with tattoos. I also work on cars as a hobby, and airplanes as a job. Apparently, that automatically means I'm a lesbian.

Personally, I take it as a compliment as women are notoriously difficult to please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies