Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,437,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm NOT impressed...that's the same percentage of wealth as me donating one cent...They should be embarassed. However @ least that anti-union anti-American company did donate something...probably defective merchandise they cannot palm off on their regular shopping "zombies"!
Who cares if you're impressed?
They gave what they wanted. It's really none of your business now, is it?
Obviously they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,843,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who cares if you're impressed?
They gave what they wanted. It's really none of your business now, is it?
Obviously they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
It's his business and my business, and the business of every prospective business partner (customer) of Walmart.

They're damned if they don't, and they didn't. If they DID, they wouldn't be damned.

Walmart is evil incarnate and just because some people worship their money and don't want to admit it why should the rest of us not speak up against Walmart's evil?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
It's his business and my business, and the business of every prospective business partner (customer) of Walmart.

They're damned if they don't, and they didn't. If they DID, they wouldn't be damned.

Walmart is evil incarnate and just because some people worship their money and don't want to admit it why should the rest of us not speak up against Walmart's evil?
No, it isn't. What someone does or does not do with their personal wealth is none of your business.

Your comment, and the one I was responding to was:

Post 77:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm NOT impressed...that's the same percentage of wealth as me donating one cent...They should be embarassed. However @ least that anti-union anti-American company did donate something...probably defective merchandise they cannot palm off on their regular shopping "zombies"!
Your post 78:
Quote:
I was going to say the exact same thing, so I'll just quote you, rep you, and give you a
All based on Ryan's post:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530
.... Meanwhile, Oprah and Paris Hilton are telling us to donate, while not donating anything themselves!

Oprah, Paris Hilton urge Haiti quake relief

Walmart Donates $600,000 in Response to Haiti Earthquake -- BENTONVILLE, Ark., Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What Walmart does as a corporation is definitely ALL of my business because it's up to me to support them or refrain from doing busines with them. It's also up to me to use word of mouth to encourage or discourage others from doing business with them.

It's not "personal wealth" that they have, by the way - they are not a "person", they are a corporation. It's corporate wealth. And, since it's publicly traded it is owned by their shareholders, and those of us who are prospective shareholders are also entitled to make judgments about them. End of story.
This has nothing to do with the comments that were referred to.
You were complaining about Oprah Winfrey, etc. and her personal wealth.

Nice backtracking, though.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,843,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This has nothing to do with the comments that were referred to.
You were complaining about Oprah Winfrey, etc. and her personal wealth.

Nice backtracking, though.
No. Pittston was complaining about Oprah but the way his post was (poorly) worded it looked like he was criticizing WALMART, and that's what I agreed with.

Now I see he was criticizing individuals like Oprah and making excuses for Walmart.

Pittston is wrong, and has a money-worshiping viewpoint, by virtue of supporting Walmart which is evil incarnate.

What Paris and Oprah do is their own business, and for all anyone knows they donated millions. Unlike Walmart who will not donate money, not even a DIME, without trumpeting it and boasting about it, Oprah has been known to give money without making press releases about it.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,658,656 times
Quote:

The poster must be a Walmart manager......ripping off more employees out of their overtime wages!!! Walmart is ruining this country and simply making the Chinese a global powerhouse...GREEDY! AND CHEAP!!!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,658,656 times
Quote:
No. Pittston was complaining about Oprah but the way his post was (poorly) worded it looked like he was criticizing WALMART, and that's what I agreed with.

Now I see he was criticizing individuals like Oprah and making excuses for Walmart.

Pittston is wrong, and has a money-worshiping viewpoint, by virtue of supporting Walmart which is evil incarnate.

What Paris and Oprah do is their own business, and for all anyone knows they donated millions. Unlike Walmart who will not donate money, not even a DIME, without trumpeting it and boasting about it, Oprah has been known to give money without making press releases about it.
You're outta line too...I made no mention of anyone...I MEAN WALMART!!! I do NOT support WALMART..Can't posters read???? HOW do you get Winfrey etc. out of my post. Your comprehension skills are marginal(at best)...my post was clear...you gave me rep....than twisted my post to some warped image in your mindset. I withdrew my friend request! This is why I seldom post in this forum...the posters are too bizarre for my tastes.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 01-17-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,391,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
.... Meanwhile, Oprah and Paris Hilton are telling us to donate, while not donating anything themselves!

Oprah, Paris Hilton urge Haiti quake relief

Walmart Donates $600,000 in Response to Haiti Earthquake -- BENTONVILLE, Ark., Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Walmart has 8,159 retail units
2009 sales of $401 billion

Each store donated $73.54 WOW Smaller companies have given more than these jokers.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,487,840 times
Quote:

Could I throw in some words about how Ted Kennedy's widow begged Dems for money to try to win the seat for Coakley and came up with that same $600,000 in almost a week. I wonder if that money could have been used for Haitian relief instead of an attempt to "keep" the Kennedy Senate sear. Of course we know why Dems want to keep that seat so badly.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,391,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Did Walmart actually give it, or did they get their employees to donate? Did they put out canisters for shoppers to donate?
How is the "Walmart Foundation Funded"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies