Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,346,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Not that anyone should ever have to answer that question. I sit here and wish there was more I could offer than the prayers I've been saying since Tuesday and people are "complaining" about the sums being given? That they "aren't enough" just because they know the person or corporation giving it has more than they do? Holy Cow!
Prayers seem to be right up there on the need list with everything else that can be offered...they are in a terrible situation that sometimes calls for more than man can handle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,655,394 times
Walmart: Total assets... 164 BILLION DOLLARS.
Walmart Donation to Haiti...... 600 THOUSAND DOLLARS
Walmart Donated... 0.0003659% of their Total Assets to the relief effort
Numbers are rounded off!
Archie says case closed!...LOL.
Wal-Mart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 01-17-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,784,040 times
16 deleted off topic posts later, I have this to say: Everybody calm down and stop with the personal trips. No, I don't care who started, I do know that it ends now. Or infractions will follow and the thread will be closed.
Your choice.
Yac.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 AM

3,275 posts, read 5,228,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm no fan of Wallymart but that was mighty nice of them.
They also responded quickly to Katrina and Andrew from what I recall.

Put down the fighting gloves for 5 minutes and be appreciative that even the evil Walmart acts quickly in a crisis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Not going to fall for your political bait...

Im not trying to score points, just proving that many corporations, who always get flak for being greedy, can actually do nice, hospitable things.
Giving $600,000 is a nice, hospitable thing to be sure. But the implication here is that this negates the effects of Walmart's ethically dubious business practices, which, considering the enormous profits they make from these ethically dubious business practices, this doesn't even put a dent in.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:21 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,355,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Giving $600,000 is a nice, hospitable thing to be sure. But the implication here is that this negates the effects of Walmart's ethically dubious business practices, which, considering the enormous profits they make from these ethically dubious business practices, this doesn't even put a dent in.
I agree to a point. However a gift is a gift.
Walmart is like the rich uncle everyone hates. He has all this money and when gives a gift although bigger than the average gift anyone else gave he is slandered behind his back for being a cheapskate. As if because he is rich he should be giving out $100,000 gifts left and right.
I detest Walmart and refuse to shop at a Walmart store but to be fair they didn't have donate anything. $600,000 by any count is a nice gift.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 AM

3,275 posts, read 5,228,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Walmart is like the rich uncle everyone hates. He has all this money and when gives a gift although bigger than the average gift anyone else gave he is slandered behind his back for being a cheapskate. As if because he is rich he should be giving out $100,000 gifts left and right.
I detest Walmart and refuse to shop at a Walmart store but to be fair they didn't have donate anything. $600,000 by any count is a nice gift.
And that's what I'm saying. But if we want to frame this as Walmart repenting for it's business practices, then it'll take a lot more than 600k to do that. It has less to do with what Walmart donated and more to do with the "see they aren't so bad after all!" response. It bears a striking resemblance to how many were fooled into believing that the early 20th century barons were anything but unscrupulous figures because they built libraries and public squares.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,355,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
And that's what I'm saying. But if we want to frame this as Walmart repenting for it's business practices, then it'll take a lot more than 600k to do that. It has less to do with what Walmart donated and more to do with the "see they aren't so bad after all!" response. It bears a striking resemblance to how many were fooled into believing that the early 20th century barons were anything but unscrupulous figures because they built libraries and public squares.
Thats the point I agree with 100%. Well said.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 AM

12,867 posts, read 15,006,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Walmart: Total assets... 164 BILLION DOLLARS.
Walmart Donation to Haiti...... 600 THOUSAND DOLLARS
Walmart Donated... 0.0003659% of their Total Assets to the relief effort
Numbers are rounded off!
Archie says case closed!...LOL.
Wal-Mart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
they didn't HAVE to donate anything.......

i can't believe the lack of gratitude for donations being offered, instead of thanking everyone for every donation, no matter how small or how large.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,843,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What would make your analogy perfect is if the rich uncle that everyone hates is also a child molestor who always gets away with raping children and that is the bigger reason everyone hates him, and then he comes around trying to buy back people's affection by handing out pennies and the occasional nickel, not realizing how wrong and evil he is on so many levels.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,045,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm NOT impressed...that's the same percentage of wealth as me donating one cent...They (WalMart) should be embarassed. However @ least that anti-union anti-American company did donate something...probably defective merchandise they cannot palm off on their regular shopping "zombies"!
It seems like $600,000 is a pittance to Wal-Mart. A friend sent me an e-mail with several pictures of a monstrous ship from China (holds 16,0000
cargo containers) headed here from China, filled with merchandise for
Wal-Mart. When Daddy Sam started the company, the motto was "Everything made in America." Remember? Not that way anymore. Plus, they illegally locked fire exits to keep their employees from going outside to take a break. While I'm glad that they gave at all, it does seem like a paltry amount, particularly considering the posts that showed what some
individuals have given. I'd rather Wal-Mart donated more money than spend it in China buying items tainted with lead or something worse. And yes, I donated: $100 to the William Jefferson Clinton Trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies