Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,329,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
those same companies will probably raise prices for Americans to make up for their "generosity".
That is very possible since they will be paying through the nose to keep their employees insured if and when we start paying for four years for this mickey mouse health care stuff added onto the money for relief.

Rush and I consider our first donations to have come from our tax payments. I just made my last estimated payment today so they wouldn't have to print up all of that $100 million that Obama proclaimed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,029,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Well then maybe you shouldn't shop at those companies anymore... ever think about that?
that is A LOT of companies to avoid. Rush Limbaugh (as much as I dislike the guy) is right about some things. The gov't should not allow charity to foreign countries, govt's to be deducted from the gross revenues of these companies and decreasing the net income. When these companies donate these funds and then deduct them from their gross, it means that we as American taxpayers are subsidizing these gifts since it is LESS tax that the Federal gov't will collect or more debt.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,323,469 times
Quote:
I honestly don't believe that... show some evidence that Oprah donated a decent chunk of change to this
Why is it your business, first of all.
Secondly, you made the assertion, so it's up to you to prove that she didn't donate.
You know that, yet you throw out unfounded attacks on people.

Quote:
Not going to fall for your political bait...

Im not trying to score points, just proving that many corporations, who always get flak for being greedy, can actually do nice, hospitable things.
If that were remotely true, you wouldn't have made a point of demonizing Oprah and others.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Who takes the opportunity to promote a POV on the backs of 100,000 dead people?
In this case, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with you.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:06 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,135,379 times
Wasn't Wal Mart the first major company on the scene for Katrina with water and donated supplies? Not to mention they let people loot their stores for necessities. Although it soon became very ugly when people "needed" new TVs and electronics, etc.
As I said, let companies stand up and start donating and I knew Wal mart would be first in line to help out. Now if we can only get government officials and Hollywood types to pry open their swiss bank vaults and donate instead of just pleading for us working stiffs to give our cash.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,184,453 times
Quote:
.... Meanwhile, Oprah and Paris Hilton are telling us to donate, while not donating anything themselves!

Oprah, Paris Hilton urge Haiti quake relief

Walmart Donates $600,000 in Response to Haiti Earthquake -- BENTONVILLE, Ark., Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
BFD! 600,000? What they rip off Americans in about 2 minutes.....

Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Wasn't Wal Mart the first major company on the scene for Katrina with water and donated supplies? Not to mention they let people loot their stores for necessities. Although it soon became very ugly when people "needed" new TVs and electronics, etc.
As I said, let companies stand up and start donating and I knew Wal mart would be first in line to help out. Now if we can only get government officials and Hollywood types to pry open their swiss bank vaults and donate instead of just pleading for us working stiffs to give our cash.
NOW you want "Hollywood types" to become involved???

Madonna....$250,000.00 (just for one)

Now how about those CEO's who make more in a week than most people make in a year, CEOs whose wages/bonuses came from taxpayers...let's see how much THEY give OUT OF THEIR OWN FAT POCKETS FROM THEIR OWN SALARIES AND DON'T USE IT AS A TAX WRITE OFF!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 AM

757 posts, read 804,107 times
Walmart is the Country's largest corporation. 600k is a drop in the bucket to Walmart. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie donated $1 million themselves. Americans have donated over $8 million by donating $10 via their mobil phone.

Quote:
What is wrong with you?

Its better than no money at all! In fact its about 60% of what the entire country of China donated (1mil)! Walmart didnt HAVE to pay a dime.. but they did. They even arranged to send pre-arranged meals to victims as well through the red cross.

That is pretty awesome if you ask me.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
George Clooney Recruiting Hollywood Help for Haiti Telethon ...

A-lister rounding up some star friends to man phone lines to benefit earthquake-ravaged nation ... George Clooney Recruiting Hollywood Help for Haiti Telethon ...
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b162075_george_clooney_recruiting_hollywood.html?u tm_source=eonline&
CBC News - Ottawa - Hollywood, Canadian benefits for Haiti in ...

Hollywood, Canadian benefits for Haiti in works. Last Updated: Friday, ... Hope for Haiti will raise money for the poor Caribbean nation devastated by Tuesday's ...
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/01/15/haiti-benefit-.html?ref=rss
Hollywood pledges help for Haiti - Earthquake : news, world ...

Earthquake - Hollywood pledges help for Haiti. euronews : Independent, international news from a European standpoint, including politics, diplomacy and all the ...
http://www.euronews.net/2010/01/15/hollywood-pledges-help-for-haiti/
Hollywood stars thinking of Haiti - Celebrity News & Gossip ...

Maria Bello, Rachel Bilson and a host of stars hit the red carpet in Hollywood for InStyle's glamorous Annual Awards Season Diamond Fashion Show.
http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/hollywood-stars-thinking
Hollywood's Biggest Stars Push For Haiti Relief - wcbstv.com

... need, and now, many Hollywood heavyweights are turning their attention to Haiti. The most visible Haitian celebrity, singer Wyclef Jean, ...
http://wcbstv.com/local/haiti.earthquake.celebrities.2.1426772.html
Hollywood rushes to aid Haiti - CNN.com

Hollywood is sending its thoughts, hopes, tweets, prayers and money to the people of Haiti.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/01/14/celebs.to.aid.haiti/index.html?eref=time_entertainment
Hollywood celebs aiding Haiti quake victims

Hollywood celebrities like Jessica Alba, Tyra Banks and star couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are doing their bit to help victims of the Haiti earthquake, which ...
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle08.asp?xfile=data/entertainment/2010/January/entertainment
George Clooney to host telethon for Haiti aid | Entertainment ...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hollywood actor George Clooney will host a telethon on MTV next week to raise funds for victims of the earthquake in Haiti, the music network ...
http://in.reuters.com/article/hollywood/idINTRE60D69K20100114
Hollywood is helping Haiti - Haiti - MiamiHerald.com

Some of the most popular entertainers in Hollywood are giving back to the people of Haiti. <p/> In a generous move, power couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie ...
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/americas/haiti/story/1426353.html

Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,588,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Hollywood is sending its thoughts, hopes, tweets, prayers and money to the people of Haiti.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/01/14/celebs.to.aid.haiti/index.html?eref=time_entertainment
Hollywood celebs aiding Haiti quake victims

What the heck is a tweet going to do?
;
;
;
;
;
;
;

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-16-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies