Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,734,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yeledaf - I'll go along and take notes on how global warming is effecting France. BTW - aren't half the French population Female? There is a great topic for your (our) research project. Now to get someone to fund this adventure. History or Weather Channels maybe?
Can I come, can I come !?!? <<< hand raised really high>>> I feel this endeavour of yours crucially requires an experienced translator and "fixer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,414,971 times
You have to admit, French fromage is magnifique.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 AM

15,909 posts, read 21,617,252 times
I find the stereotypes about the French hilarious. I can always tell who the rude American travelers were based on their impressions of the French.

I don't quite agree with the list but if my French was better and I could find a job there (not that I can find a job here for that matter), I'd be on the first plane over.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM

8,965 posts, read 5,454,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, the US has got the best health care service in the world ....until ya get sick.
Funny, I've been doing OK, they're going to operate on my knee next week.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM

8,965 posts, read 5,454,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I was living in Europe in 2003 when that happened.
There was an unprecedented heat wave in a temperate zone.
You tell me what they could do; Europeans don’t have air conditioning.
Yep, an alleged superior medical system with no air conditioning.

We're having unprecedented snowfall here in some places ..... have we managed to reach 10,000 fatalities yet? Let me know when we do, so I can be re-assured we're on our way to a medical system as good as France's.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,264,338 times
Finding French wine and cheese in the US is no problem. Where I currently reside, the selection is very limited, only about 15 French wines.
In France the variety is overwhelming. When in the French supermarche I marveled at the entire (long) aisle, both sides, filled with wine. I'm sure I could drink a different bottle everyday for about two years without drinking the same type twice. Also, the prices are cheaper than here. I certainly appreciate a nice snifter of cognac every now and then. It's great with a cafe noir on a chilly day! Especially in a cafe while watching the people.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM

20,504 posts, read 12,485,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I find the stereotypes about the French hilarious. I can always tell who the rude American travelers were based on their impressions of the French.

I don't quite agree with the list but if my French was better and I could find a job there (not that I can find a job here for that matter), I'd be on the first plane over.
you get the job, I will buy the one way ticket. provide a contract that you wont come back....

Ive been to france. I was not rude. when in rome and all that.

but on an international political level, the french suck.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM

13,641 posts, read 21,499,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A ridiculous and inaccurate post.
How many Americans really "stock their closets with guns?" .

Well I went and got safes so my closet would be free to stack ammo in it.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Default I'm glad you find humor in the deaths of thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Yep, an alleged superior medical system with no air conditioning.

We're having unprecedented snowfall here in some places ..... have we managed to reach 10,000 fatalities yet? Let me know when we do, so I can be re-assured we're on our way to a medical system as good as France's.
How about the Up to 17,000 Americans killed by swine flu?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-17-000-a.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1223579720100212

Ah, your ignorance is showing.
What does a medical system have to do with air conditioning?

The US cities experiencing winter weather now experience winter weather regularly. They have furnaces and shovels in place. What would those areas do with sustained 100+ degree temperatures with no aircon because the normal weather doesn't warrant it?

2003 European heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2003 European heat wave is one of the hottest summers on record in Europe, especially in France. The heat wave led to health crises in several countries and combined with drought to create a crop shortfall in Southern Europe. More than 37,451 Europeans died as a result of the heat wave.[1]

Funny how you don't mention the other European countries that had heat related deaths.
Why would people own aircon when in known history the weather is not hot; the climate is usually moderate.
The temperatures were sustained at over 104 degrees F.
A great number of medical facilities were short staffed because August is vacation month.

How can you revel in a climate tragedy that resulted in the deaths of over 37k people?

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-12-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Finding French wine and cheese in the US is no problem. Where I currently reside, the selection is very limited, only about 15 French wines.
In France the variety is overwhelming. When in the French supermarche I marveled at the entire (long) aisle, both sides, filled with wine. I'm sure I could drink a different bottle everyday for about two years without drinking the same type twice. Also, the prices are cheaper than here. I certainly appreciate a nice snifter of cognac every now and then. It's great with a cafe noir on a chilly day! Especially in a cafe while watching the people.
Isn't that great! I prefer Cora, but only because they're more prevalent in the areas where I travel.

The aisles of yogurt! different types of cheeses! Oh my!!!
Fresh goats cheese.

As soon as I return from Thailand I'll be on a shopping trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies