Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,804,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't own a gun, I don't carry a gun, but I believe that the police where I live are worthless. Am I a gun-nut?
No. If you paid attention to how I described what a gun-nut is you wouldn't have to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just out of curiousity what is the average police response time for an emergency call where you live?
As I said before, a minute or two.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,087,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No. If you paid attention to how I described what a gun-nut is you wouldn't have to ask.
You said
What makes someone a gun-nut is believing that the police are mostly worthless even when they live in a populated, policed place.

and I believe that the police are worthless where I live. So going by what you described as a gun-nut, I would be one.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, well, where I live the average response time is 30-45 minutes. And many of times if they see an incident going on, they stay in their cars until the incident is over.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 PM

45,572 posts, read 60,866,670 times
Quote:
How long do you suppose an armed confrontation on the street or in your home lasts? At a minute the police will just be getting there at the end, at two minutes the bodies will be starting to cool. It's not the ten minute confrontation you see on TV, things happen quite quickly.

A note from the military: most dogfights last less than 90 seconds.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You said
What makes someone a gun-nut is believing that the police are mostly worthless even when they live in a populated, policed place.

and I believe that the police are worthless where I live. So going by what you described as a gun-nut, I would be one.
I said it in response to someone who had a gun. You took what I said out of that context, where I was responding directly to someone who has a gun. I didn't add "...and has a gun" to my statement because the person I responded to has already acknowledged having a gun. So, that person is a gun-nut.

Let me guess what other public services really suck where you live... SCHOOLS. Apparently, nobody there was able to educate you and help you increase your reading comprehension ability to where you can follow what's being said by someone else.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,727,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
Well, that is very nice.

But then again, not everyone is like you - nor should be.

And every situation is totally and completely different.

So IMO - for YOU to judge others should do as you do, simply based on your personal experiences, is wrong.
I'm not trying to force anything on anyone. I'm just saying I don't see a need for it. People have plenty of things that I don't personally see a need for. That doesn't mean I'm keeping anyone from having those things.

It's not like, say, cigarettes, which people are practically attempting to ban. Can't smoke inside, they now want to ban you from smoking outside.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ok, well, where I live the average response time is 30-45 minutes. And many of times if they see an incident going on, they stay in their cars until the incident is over.
Yes, that's why I told you to move to a better neighborhood. That is something else I already said which you apparently failed to read or understand.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,727,537 times
BC Johnny, there's nothing wrong with living in a remote area, far from government influence.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I said it in response to someone who had a gun. You took what I said out of that context, where I was responding directly to someone who has a gun. I didn't add "...and has a gun" to my statement because the person I responded to has already acknowledged having a gun. So, that person is a gun-nut.

Let me guess what other public services really suck where you live... SCHOOLS. Apparently, nobody there was able to educate you and help you increase your reading comprehension ability to where you can follow what's being said by someone else.
I admit, that I didnt go thru and read the whole conversation, you know, what a lot of people are not going to go thru and read thread after thread just to see every single post someone makes in a thread. Still basing it off of what you are saying, the only difference between me and the person you were refering to, is that he owns a gun and I don't. So, the simple fact of the owning a gun is the deciding factor, then I would be a gun-nut just without owning a gun yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies