Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM

299 posts, read 431,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Spin away, gun-nuts. All you people want guns because you're paranoid and you know you can't protect yourselves without weapons (most of you probably got beat up and stuffed in lockers as kids...I'm just sayin').

I carry a firearm.

I am not a "gun nut"

I am not paranoid

I was never stuffed in a locker as a child

I might be able to protect myself without using my firearm.

Your points are mistaken - by a very wide margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,807,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
I (and my husband) carry a firearm because "s hit" happens and we might find ourselves in a situation where the firearm would be quite helpful.
I've never been in that position. I've been in fights, I even had someone break into a home, not realizing that I was indeed home, and try to steal a TV. I did not need a gun to take care of the problem.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've never been in that position. I've been in fights, I even had someone break into a home, not realizing that I was indeed home, and try to steal a TV. I did not need a gun to take care of the problem.
Well, that is very nice.

But then again, not everyone is like you - nor should be.

And every situation is totally and completely different.

So IMO - for YOU to judge others should do as you do, simply based on your personal experiences, is wrong.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,472,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Everyone who is unaware of this really needs to pay attention...

With few or no exceptions:

1) the police are not legally obligated to protect anyone.

2) the police are not legally liable in any case where they fail to protect anyone.

Two of my brothers are cops. I'm not. I have a concealed weapons permit on their advice.

^^^This

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,820,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
I carry a firearm.

I am not a "gun nut"

I am not paranoid

I was never stuffed in a locker as a child

I might be able to protect myself without using my firearm.

Your points are mistaken - by a very wide margin.
You know, try reading all of what I say instead of taking one phrase of mine out of context. I'm inclined to believe you are a gun-nut just because of how you are spinning my words out of context.

If you read my posts you'd see that I said I'd probably buy a gun myself if I lived way out in the desert in Arizona or anywhere isolated. Just owning a gun doesn't make one a gun nut. What makes someone a gun-nut is believing that the police are mostly worthless even when they live in a populated, policed place.

No, my points are not mistaken, you are the one who is wrong.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,093,934 times
Quote:
You know, try reading all of what I say instead of taking one phrase of mine out of context. I'm inclined to believe you are a gun-nut just because of how you are spinning my words out of context.

If you read my posts you'd see that I said I'd probably buy a gun myself if I lived way out in the desert in Arizona or anywhere isolated. Just owning a gun doesn't make one a gun nut. What makes someone a gun-nut is believing that the police are mostly worthless even when they live in a populated, policed place.

I don't own a gun, I don't carry a gun, but I believe that the police where I live are worthless. Am I a gun-nut?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:22 PM

45,837 posts, read 61,256,164 times
Quote:

Just out of curiousity what is the average police response time for an emergency call where you live?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just out of curiousity what is the average police response time for an emergency call where you live?

30 minutes +

Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,968,192 times
Default Alternate Thinking.

My 94 year old Mother in Law lives in overpopulated Long Beach, CA. She lives in an upscale part of that town (Lakewood) and recently saw a man in her fenced, gated back yard at about 10:30pm. She was very afraid, as there had been a string of violent break-ins in the area recently.

She called 911 and told the operator what was going on. The operator told her to go into her bathroom. Wow! good one!

The police arrived about 10 minutes later, and about 5 minutes after that, the ubiquitous police "helo" with spotlight was in the area.

They never found the guy.

Before this event, my MiL had been endlessly berating me for my interest in and ownership of various weapons, particularly handguns. Now she wants to buy one.

I told her: NO, under no conditions should she buy a handgun and have it around, perhaps taking pot shots at some innocent teenaged prankster who might be in her back yard. Now, if that guy tried to enter her house in the 10 minutes before the police arrived, I'd say rinse him down with a good streaming 15% pepper spray, and/or bounce an aluminum baseball bat offa his brainless skull.

Of course, good door locks and sturdy, locked doors and windows help as well.

But unless you want to take full responsibility for training, practice and learning the legal aspects of the use of lethal force, you'd better not start when you're 94, thinking that simple possession will save you.

BTW, TK, she's also a bit old to learn full-on Kyokushin-kai as I did in my late 20s, don'tcha think?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,968,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't imagine living a life where I felt that I needed a gun every time I left my home.

Sorry for you guys and hope you never need to shoot someone.
I'm not sure it's exactly "need", ceece; it's more like a bit of rational life insurance, given the frequency of people going off their kilter more and more often these days. and with the holidays upon us, but with unprecedented financial stresses on many of us, it's just possible that some of those nutballs will "tilt" when you least expect it.

My little "J" frame is unnoticed by me or anyone else when I'm out there. I'm too old and physically limited to take them on directly, so I require a little aide. But then, I"m also well trained and experienced in firearms, and know the legal ramifications of such use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies