Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,385,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nor does it usually help.
Try reading some statistics on that.

I refuse to live in a world where everyone is armed.
Try educating yourself and stop believing every anti-gun bit of propaganda you hear. Firearms are successfully used hundreds of thousands of times every year in self defense in the US. Not every defensive use of a firearm involves killing or even shooting someone. 99% of the time the police don't fire a shot when using their firearm to subdue someone, it's not much different for civilians, but that doesn't get on the news. "If it bleeds, it leads" isn't just a saying, it's how the media is run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How many people are killed because of drunk gun owners?
Far fewer than are killed by drunk drivers, and the numbers are dropping almost every year. In spite of the media playing up every shooting and running the story over and over and over, the odds of being shot are very small, especially if you aren't involved in drugs.

Firearms are involved in 0.5% of accidental deaths nationally, compared to motor vehicles (37%), poisoning (22%), falls (17%), suffocation (5%), drowning (2.9%), fires (2.5%), medical mistakes (1.7%), environmental factors (1.3%), and pedal cycles (0.7%). Among children: motor vehicles (41%), suffocation (21%), drowning (15%), fires (8%), pedal cycles (2%), poisoning (2%), falls (1.9%), environmental factors (1.5%), firearms (1.1%) and medical mistakes (1%).

NRA-ILA :: Firearm Safety In America 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 06:54 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,636,384 times
After Healthcare, Attorney General Holder will proably be going after guns next, he is already saying the because of the Fort Hood shooting we need to register all guns.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,224,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I believe in the second amendment.

The problem is that a lot of people who want to own a gun probably shouldn't, and a lot of the people who don't want to own a gun probably should.

alot of cops and feds (like the storm troopers of f-troop) should also be included in that number, you dont see them turning in their firearms like they want the citizens to do.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:53 AM

300 posts, read 430,544 times
I, ME - I'm primarily responsible for my own safety and that of my family. Not society. Not law enforcement. ME

That is one of the reasons I (and my husband) carry a firearm, in the open or concealed, every time we leave our home.

"Eye Glasses, Handkerchief, Wallet, Keys, Gun"

Old 11-28-2009, 09:03 AM

30,120 posts, read 18,730,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
At least, that's what a lot of anti-gun-rights people will tell you while making the argument that "Nobody needs a gun", or "Nobody need such-and-such kind of gun", etc.

I'd like to see them explain that to the woman in this story.

Oops, too late. Well, maybe next time, eh?

------------------------

Guarded by police, woman slain - UPI.com

Guarded by police, woman slain

Published: Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 12 (UPI) -- Investigators were trying to determine Thursday how a man got into a woman's apartment and killed her while police stood watch outside, Los Angeles police said.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL if you want a laugh)

The cops are always late to any emergency situation and are left many times just to document the crime. I will keep all my guns and my concealed carry permit, thank you.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:45 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,493,721 times
Non gun people need to overcome their fear about guns & join...the revolution...

Old 11-28-2009, 02:21 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
I can't imagine living a life where I felt that I needed a gun every time I left my home.

Sorry for you guys and hope you never need to shoot someone.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:28 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,586,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Great job with the "serve and protect" BS!

Another good example of WHY EVERYONE SHOULD be heavily armed and ready to protect themselves.

Cops are usually far too busy with more pressing issues to be there when you might really need them.
Many of 'em can't shoot very straight, either.

YOUR life.......YOU protect and DEFEND IT and don't expect anyone else to do it for you, and you'll generally, be a-OK.
It's called.......REALITY.
Something that can't really be controlled.

Proud supporter of the Second Amendment and the NRA!
I have always said " Don't ask your government to do what Our Constitution says you should be doing yourself".

Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,086,558 times
the wifey goes to pick up her new .40Cal on wed. she is very excited.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,493,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't imagine living a life where I felt that I needed a gun every time I left my home.

Sorry for you guys and hope you never need to shoot someone.

The point is not to have a need ,but a desire...

Wouldn't u feel strong & invincible,if u carried ...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies