Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 PM

795 posts, read 2,300,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
When seconds count, the police are minute away!

The police were either slacking, or the guy is one sneaky mofo!
minutes away - how about way after the shooting stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,878,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I don't understand how anyone can deny someone the right to defend their home, their person or their family.

There is not a month that goes by that there is not a home invasion in Dallas where people are tied up, robbed and many times seriously injured.
Buy a German Shepherd and a baseball bat. I am a former Marine, I know how to handle and store weapons, I can hit what I aim at, I am a very good shot with a number of weapons. If you are not trained in their usage, the firearm is more dangerous to you than to an intruder. Also, if there is a weapon in your house, everyone in your household needs to be trained in it's proper usage. The dog is a lot easier and is a much better listener. And, the baseball bat???? almost anyone knows how to use it. It will not discharge accidentally and kill one of your children. I also have two German Shepherds and one genuine rescue mutt-puppy.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM

300 posts, read 430,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Buy a German Shepherd. I am a former Marine, I know how to handle and store weapons, I can hit what I aim at, I am a very good shot with a number of weapons. If you are not trained in their usage, the firearm is more dangerous to you than to an intruder. Also, if there is a weapon in your house, everyone in your household needs to be trained in it's proper usage. The dog is a lot easier and is a much better listener.
There are only two in our household: My Husband and myself. And we are both well trained on useage - and we are both very good shots - if I do say so myself

And as I mentioned earlier - we both carry concealed weapons and we have firearms available around the house.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
The point is not to have a need ,but a desire...

Wouldn't u feel strong & invincible,if u carried ...?
Why do you have a need to FEEL "strong and invincible"? That, in itself, shows your weakness.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,798,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I wish minutes, In my neighborhood, usually the police take anywhere from 30-70 minutes to arrive.
In my neighborhood they are here in 1-2 minutes easy, every time. If you want good police protection, live in a better neighborhood.

I have never, ever needed a gun in my entire life. The biggest city near me is NY City and it is the safest big city in the nation - NYPD is all over the place and does a great job. Maybe if I lived in the middle of the desert in Arizona I'd get a gun but people who live in populated places don't need guns because we have police.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM

300 posts, read 430,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why do you have a need to FEEL "strong and invincible"? That, in itself, shows your weakness.
I (and my husband) carry a firearm because "s hit" happens and we might find ourselves in a situation where the firearm would be quite helpful.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,590,814 times
Default You don't need to carry a gun personally, police will protect you

Everyone who is unaware of this really needs to pay attention...

With few or no exceptions:

1) the police are not legally obligated to protect anyone.

2) the police are not legally liable in any case where they fail to protect anyone.

Two of my brothers are cops. I'm not. I have a concealed weapons permit on their advice.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,797,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
In my neighborhood they are here in 1-2 minutes easy, every time.
In the article cited in the OP, the cops were even closer - they were literally parked outside her front door.

She's dead anyway.

If she'd had a gun and were trained in its use, maybe she wouldn't be dead.

But I guess that doesn't matter to the gun-rights-haters. Ther agenda comes first, last, and always. Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, after all.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,590,814 times
Lightbulb Not everyone with a firearm is a gun nut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How silly.
I'm neither a victim nor a gun owner.
I don't see the need for it.
Never have. "The sky is falling" approach to being a spoiled brat.
Get better friends, live in a better area.
I'm glad that when I live in the states I hang out with intelligent, educated people who really don't needs guns to go to the theater r foreign flicks, breakfasts or the library/museums.

I'd not want to live where you do.

If you have an automobile, do you carry a spare tire? The odds are great against you having a flat on any given drive.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,798,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In the article cited in the OP, the cops were even closer - they were literally parked outside her front door.

She's dead anyway.

If she'd had a gun and were trained in its use, maybe she wouldn't be dead.

But I guess that doesn't matter to the gun-rights-haters. Ther agenda comes first, last, and always. Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, after all.
If she'd had a gun and were trained, she still may have been killed if her gun malfunctioned or jammed.

If she'd had a gun and were trained, she still may have accidentally shot herself.

If she'd had a gun and were trained, she may have been careless and left it lying around where a kid could have grabbed it and hurt or killed someone accidentally.

If she'd had a gun and were trained, she still may have been snuck up on while she were sleeping and shot and killed in her sleep.

If, if, if, if, if, if, if, if.....

You want to play the "if" game to make a case for guns and against police, but "if" can easily cut the other way to make a case for police and against guns.

Spin away, gun-nuts. All you people want guns because you're paranoid and you know you can't protect yourselves without weapons (most of you probably got beat up and stuffed in lockers as kids...I'm just sayin').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies