Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM

358 posts, read 472,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
How about some more taxes on alcohol? Everyone else has to pay for the health repercussions on booze also.
No matter how much cigarettes cost it is not enough. Smoking is a learned, unnatural habit.

Ingestion of alcohol is a natural behaviour. Animals get drunk on naturally fermented fruit, but I have never heard of an animal smoking w/o being taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
No matter how much cigarettes cost it is not enough. Smoking is a learned, unnatural habit.

Ingestion of alcohol is a natural behaviour. Animals get drunk on naturally fermented fruit, but I have never heard of an animal smoking w/o being taught.
I'm sorry but this argument is just not good enough. Hey, I'm a smoker, however I really am not going to justify my smoking. It's a bad habit that is bad for me, I know this. Drinking is a bad habit that is bad for me & others as well. They're both bad habits that are expensive & cause harm to not only yourself but others as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 AM

182 posts, read 103,307 times
who cares, maybe they will go up to $100 a carton and people will stop buying them

Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionwhy View Post
who cares, maybe they will go up to $100 a carton and people will stop buying them
Yeah, and then the tax burden can shift back to non smokers in the form of some new tax to make up for the loss.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM

182 posts, read 103,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Yeah, and then the tax burden can shift back to non smokers in the form of some new tax to make up for the loss.

I am sure the damage smokers create, such as higher health care bills outweighs the tax dollars smoking brings in

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
How about some more taxes on alcohol? Everyone else has to pay for the health repercussions on booze also.
Dont even suggest that this Goverment get more into our lives when are people going to learn about (BIG BROTHER) THAT IS GOING TO BE OUR GOVERMENT..

Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionwhy View Post
I am sure the damage smokers create, such as higher health care bills outweighs the tax dollars smoking brings in
Im not so sure this is the case, most smokers have insurance and many pay about 15% more for their premium because they are a smoker. The insurance companies have already figured out for us how much extra it costs for a smokers healthcare, about 15%.

So what about the smokers that are poor and get their care from the state government, many of which might be on welfare. If they die 10 years sooner, the state saves a wad of money in welfare payments, right ? And when people live to be a ripe old age, smoker or not, they will still need expensive healthcare at the end of their life anyway. In fact, sometimes a smoker might just keel over from a surprise heart attack and not use any medical services at all.

And rich smokers that die at age 65 will have their wealth transfered to the next generation faster without consuming it for their retirement. More inheritance taxes are generated that way.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM

358 posts, read 472,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm sorry but this argument is just not good enough. Hey, I'm a smoker, however I really am not going to justify my smoking. It's a bad habit that is bad for me, I know this. Drinking is a bad habit that is bad for me & others as well. They're both bad habits that are expensive & cause harm to not only yourself but others as well.
Fact is I believe in free will, no drug laws and so forth. If some fool wants to kill himself in with a needle in his arm, what is it to me? Nothing. However if he puts a gun in my face to get my wallet in order to finance his habit that is different altogether.

With smokers, I really do not give a damn, I do resent it when it impacts my life. When I go into a public place (read bar) and come out smelling like an ashtray filled with cigarette buts it is similiar to being held up for my wallet, both impact the quality of my life. So as far as I am concerned smoke yourself into a coffin, just do it away from other people other than other smokers.

79% of Americans do not smoke, so the free market is not working, if it were 79% of bars would be smoke free. Therefore legislation is in order, and it is on the way. Goodie, goodie

Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
Fact is I believe in free will, no drug laws and so forth. If some fool wants to kill himself in with a needle in his arm, what is it to me? Nothing. However if he puts a gun in my face to get my wallet in order to finance his habit that is different altogether.

With smokers, I really do not give a damn, I do resent it when it impacts my life. When I go into a public place (read bar) and come out smelling like an ashtray filled with cigarette buts it is similiar to being held up for my wallet, both impact the quality of my life. So as far as I am concerned smoke yourself into a coffin, just do it away from other people other than other smokers.

79% of Americans do not smoke, so the free market is not working, if it were 79% of bars would be smoke free. Therefore legislation is in order, and it is on the way. Goodie, goodie
So do you feel you should be able to tell the bar owner what he can and can't allow in his business IE smoking?

You have a choice not to enter that bar

Who do we tell next how to run their business. Oh the banks and Ceos of the Auto Industry , Who do we control next?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:14 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Im not so sure this is the case, most smokers have insurance and many pay about 15% more for their premium because they are a smoker. The insurance companies have already figured out for us how much extra it costs for a smokers healthcare, about 15%.

So what about the smokers that are poor and get their care from the state government, many of which might be on welfare. If they die 10 years sooner, the state saves a wad of money in welfare payments, right ? And when people live to be a ripe old age, smoker or not, they will still need expensive healthcare at the end of their life anyway. In fact, sometimes a smoker might just keel over from a surprise heart attack and not use any medical services at all.

And rich smokers that die at age 65 will have their wealth transfered to the next generation faster without consuming it for their retirement. More inheritance taxes are generated that way.
My health insurance company does not ask if I am a smoker. I pay the same amount for my premium that the non-smokers here do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies