Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.64%
No 257 50.69%
Unsure 49 9.66%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 07:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,139,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
The last thing the US wants is to face the Russian military. We see how well the US has done in say the last 70 years on the battlefield. But hold on to your cherished delusions.
You keep repeating this and showing a lack of understanding.

The US performs admirably on the battlefield. They destroyed the Iraqi military in days, both in 1991 and 2002. They sent the Afghan militants running for the hills in short order as well. There was no military contest in any of these cases.

Where the US has utterly failed is the occupation, peace, reconstruction and transfer of power afterwards.

I have no doubt that US forces could destroy Russian forces if it came to that. It won't for a number of reasons, but they could. One reason is that the US would be unable to decide what to do once they owned Moscow, and even if they decided, would probably not have the political willpower to follow through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 07:57 AM

43,841 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

The US performs admirably on the battlefield. They destroyed the Iraqi military in days, both in 1991 and 2002. They sent the Afghan militants running for the hills in short order as well. There was no military contest in any of these cases.

Where the US has utterly failed is the occupation, peace, reconstruction and transfer of power afterwards.

I have no doubt that US forces could destroy Russian forces if it came to that. It won't for a number of reasons, but they could. One reason is that the US would be unable to decide what to do once they owned Moscow, and even if they decided, would probably not have the political willpower to follow through.
Well 1991 and 2002 .... we're in 2023 now and society is vastly different.

We have a military that gets frightened over hobby balloons.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:59 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,059,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Biden just recently said there are no permanent troops in Ukraine. Note the word "permanent".
He said this after the 7th American died...vet of course, not active duty they tell us.
It wouldnt surprise me. When Russia first invaded I knew several guys who were former military who talked about going over and fighting. None did but I am sure that plenty of others have.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:04 AM

7,711 posts, read 5,599,325 times
Deripaska, once Russia’s richest person:
Quote:
The oligarch Oleg Deripaska has said Russia could run out of money by next year unless the country secures investment from “friendly†countries as western sanctions bite.
Quote:
He said that Russia was suffering from “serious†pressure from western sanctions, and that the country and its businesses would have to look to other countries with “serious resources†to invest.
European rating agency Scope:
Quote:
The ratings agency said Russia’s huge spending on the war would harm its economy in the long term, because it was at the expense of investments in infrastructure, digitalisation, housing and environmental protection.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oleg-deripaska

Old 03-02-2023, 08:05 AM

43,841 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It wouldnt surprise me. When Russia first invaded I knew several guys who were former military who talked about going over and fighting. None did but I am sure that plenty of others have.
Biden didn't say there were "no American troops"; he said there were "no permanent American troops" over there.

Reminds me of when Fauci said that NIH did not "directly" fund Wuhan lab. He was right. The NIH gave the money to EcoHealth who gave it to Wuhan lab.

So if US troops are on the ground in Ukraine...Biden hasn't lied if they aren't permanently stationed there..right ?

The subtlety is in the words used....

Old 03-02-2023, 08:40 AM

1,200 posts, read 427,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
The last thing the US wants is to face the Russian military. We see how well the US has done in say the last 70 years on the battlefield. But hold on to your cherished delusions.

Considering how badly Russian troops are performing against Ukrainians, US would have no problem against Russian military.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:42 AM

15,082 posts, read 9,964,815 times
Quote:
Well 1991 and 2002 .... we're in 2023 now and society is vastly different.

We have a military that gets frightened over hobby balloons.
Watch from the 14:40 mark.
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/spe...sinduction.htm

Old 03-02-2023, 08:47 AM

13,857 posts, read 4,481,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Some people are clueless about war. NO Army is going to make it to Moscow. They are going to get nuked. The last Army that penetrated Russia was the Nazis (pre-nuke era ) and they made it half way before they got their a$$es kicked just like Napoleon. Not a good idea to invade Russia especially in the winter.

You say the U.S. performs admirably on the battlefield. Against who? Poor peasants in Vietnam, Poor desert people and cave people from 3rd world countries in Iraq and Afghanistan that have NO nukes for defense.

When was the last time the U.S. invaded a nuclear power? NEVER and for a reason. No country would send their army to get nuked.

People should stop playing XBOX too much and stop spreading propaganda. Nobody is invading Russia. They are part of the nuclear club.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:54 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,761,970 times
Quote:
Biden didn't say there were "no American troops"; he said there were "no permanent American troops" over there.

Reminds me of when Fauci said that NIH did not "directly" fund Wuhan lab. He was right. The NIH gave the money to EcoHealth who gave it to Wuhan lab.

So if US troops are on the ground in Ukraine...Biden hasn't lied if they aren't permanently stationed there..right ?

The subtlety is in the words used....
How long a volunteer stays is their business...they are not doing so at the behest of the US Govt. I mean he won't even give them F16's for crying out loud.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:04 AM

13,857 posts, read 4,481,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Support for Ukraine is eroding somewhat. I'm sure the Ukrainians know all that. It's a question, I think, of who can outlast who. The end of the war will not mean the end of the sanctions and boycotts. Russia will be hurting for many years, and maybe forever as a result of this mistake.

This is not a "mistake", just like all the American invasions. All by the design especially the side that pushed for conflict. Not while China supports Russia. You think China gives a damn what the West does or say?

The last thing the West wants is China and Russia together. Deadly combination of economy and nukes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies