Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.64%
No 257 50.69%
Unsure 49 9.66%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 09:08 PM

13,857 posts, read 4,481,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
:
So, your claim is that US and NATO are equivalent.

No. Equivalent means equals. U.S. calls the shots. Without the U.S., there is NO NATO.

Quote:
But you also state that the smaller countries want to join in order to gain handouts. The implication is that smaller countries are taking advantage of the USA.
They want something and the U.S. wants something. You really think the U.S. gives funds to countries out of the goodness of their hearts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 10:22 PM

8,217 posts, read 3,771,999 times
Quote:
Funds? Really? NATOs entire budget is 3.27 billion Euro (about $3.5 billion). The US share is about $55million. Trivial. Adding small countries like Hungary only adds $2.5 million or so. Who cares?

Readers should take note that SanJuanStar is deceptively quoting me as saying "U.S./NATO", which I absolutely did not. Looks like SJS cannot actually reply to my post without lying.

The USA is not the equivalent of NATO, and I never stated or implied that it was. When I stated that NATO had never initiated military action, that was and is true. This is not true of the USA, which has initiated military action many times.

I am quite happy for a liar like yourself not to respond to my posts. I engage honestly, it is unfortunate that you choose not to do likewise.
Yes, it has.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:24 PM

11,158 posts, read 29,427,654 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRtJX4LqbsM&t=714s
Again thanks and respect to all the people at FUNKER530 for showing the reality of it all.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:54 AM

17,061 posts, read 12,683,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
New cold war... This time, it will be on steroids, and the USA will have little/no control over the world's factory floor/industrial might.
Which is exactly why I say "The west" needs to figure out how to tie down the supply chain mostly within its borders. At least for things like drugs and computer chips etc.

Japan is ramping up its military. etc.

Ive seen other predictions on Russia growing. Many say a slow decline. Who knows. As long as oil and gas have value, Russia's economy will never be zero. Europeans should be pushing hard for their goal of more renewables but seem to lack effort despite their words.

Cribs will be more and more a thing. (So called BRICS except china is the only real powerhouse there so I call it Cribs. China and its [female dogs])

The so called global south, at least the smart ones, will play the west vs China to their advantage.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:06 AM

17,061 posts, read 12,683,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Zelensky at a press conference:

Americans will be sending their sons and daughters to the war and they will be dying.

https://t.me/intelslava/45248
Doubt it. The last thing the Russia wants is to face the US military in a conventional war. It would be an embarrassing walkover.

Its going to bog down (Pretty much already has) and eventually a Rump Ukrainian state will emerge. Probably EU. Doubtful NATO. They (Uknraine / EU) need to build a reverse Iron curtain for Russians in Eastern Ukraine. You chose Russia. Fine. We shall now enforce that decision and you are now stuck there.

Simple fact. Sometimes bad people win. Russia is bad, but that is how it rolls. Georgia or one of the -stans are the next meal. Russia may well wait 5+ years or so for it. They have to replenish.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:34 AM

25,797 posts, read 17,567,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Doubt it. The last thing the Russia wants is to face the US military in a conventional war. It would be an embarrassing walkover.

Its going to bog down (Pretty much already has) and eventually a Rump Ukrainian state will emerge. Probably EU. Doubtful NATO. They (Uknraine / EU) need to build a reverse Iron curtain for Russians in Eastern Ukraine. You chose Russia. Fine. We shall now enforce that decision and you are now stuck there.

Simple fact. Sometimes bad people win. Russia is bad, but that is how it rolls. Georgia or one of the -stans are the next meal. Russia may well wait 5+ years or so for it. They have to replenish.
Yeah. Russia's not capable of that anymore. They've gotten by on bluster.

Because of population decline and the associated aging population, it's either now or never for Russia. They were showing a net loss of one person every 30 seconds - and that was before Mother Russia sent them off to be killed or chased them out of the country by threatening them with conscription! Average age in Russia is about 40 years, so I think Russia is about "done".

The problem Russia has with Georgia is the friendship Georgia has with The US. FWIW, Georgia has benefited greatly by all the young Russians coming in. They went to work and are helping the Georgian economy, evidently.

Russia's oil may become about as relevant as Venezuela's, Venezuela having even more than Russia. Proximity counts with oil. I would not be surprised to see China end up controlling the oil fields in Siberia, nor would I be surprised to see the wells just closed off. I would be very surprised to see business as usual in Russia oil, since they are already cutting back production.

Support for Ukraine is eroding somewhat. I'm sure the Ukrainians know all that. It's a question, I think, of who can outlast who. The end of the war will not mean the end of the sanctions and boycotts. Russia will be hurting for many years, and maybe forever as a result of this mistake.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:46 AM

5,308 posts, read 3,882,706 times
The last thing the US wants is to face the Russian military. We see how well the US has done in say the last 70 years on the battlefield. But hold on to your cherished delusions.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:50 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,139,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. Russia's not capable of that anymore. They've gotten by on bluster.

Because of population decline and the associated aging population, it's either now or never for Russia. They were showing a net loss of one person every 30 seconds - and that was before Mother Russia sent them off to be killed or chased them out of the country by threatening them with conscription! Average age in Russia is about 40 years, so I think Russia is about "done".

The problem Russia has with Georgia is the friendship Georgia has with The US. FWIW, Georgia has benefited greatly by all the young Russians coming in. They went to work and are helping the Georgian economy, evidently.

Russia's oil may become about as relevant as Venezuela's, Venezuela having even more than Russia. Proximity counts with oil. I would not be surprised to see China end up controlling the oil fields in Siberia, nor would I be surprised to see the wells just closed off. I would be very surprised to see business as usual in Russia oil, since they are already cutting back production.

Support for Ukraine is eroding somewhat. I'm sure the Ukrainians know all that. It's a question, I think, of who can outlast who. The end of the war will not mean the end of the sanctions and boycotts. Russia will be hurting for many years, and maybe forever as a result of this mistake.
I think Russia also loses on the PR front here. Russia's aging, declining population could have been offset with immigration, but they seem to be thriving in the role of a racist dictatorship that is happy to sacrifice its citizens in a brutal war.

Sure, there are lots of people in the world who would see living in that society as a step up, but these same people do not have the educational or financial resources to emigrate to Russia. This leaves Russia facing population implosion, or an expensive campaign to recruit immigrants.

I don't have a crystal ball, and many things could happen. If I were a betting man, I would put money on Russia being completely transformed in 50 years. Probably much smaller, at best a regional power, having ceded territory to rivals.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:52 AM

5,308 posts, read 3,882,706 times
Or you could listen to the likes of Rachel Maddow which by the looks of some of the ridiculous posts here you definitely do.

https://consortiumnews.com/2023/02/2...-of-the-light/

Old 03-02-2023, 07:53 AM

43,840 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Biden just recently said there are no permanent troops in Ukraine. Note the word "permanent".
He said this after the 7th American died...vet of course, not active duty they tell us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies