Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 12:30 PM

8,973 posts, read 11,856,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I choose not to rejoice in death, even if I think that death is justified.
I understand. Put me on your ignore list and you won't see anything I post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 12:34 PM

29,975 posts, read 25,099,231 times
Quote:
Wish I could rep you again, but yep. It's easy to support something if your side doesn't have any blood in the game. I can't fault Ukraine for wanting additional support and I'd want to fight to the end if the US was the country being invaded (Ukraine's position is entirely understandable, even if this isn't something that they can sustain for years). But that doesn't change the fact that Ukraine is in a weaker position than Russia overall, especially considering that Western support is not going to last forever. Russia has the means and capacity via raw resources and manufacturing capability to continue producing weapons and to use more targeted and powerful weapons against Ukraine (including short of nuclear weapons) as we are seeing now. All the sanctions in the world won't change this reality, especially considering that much of the world is still reliant on Russian oil, a point that won't change anytime soon.

If it were only Russia's manufacturing capacity that we had to worry about... Russia is buying drones from Iran, weapons from North Korea, and the USA has formally accused China's state owned companies of supplying Russia's war machine as well.

By the looks of it, this war is an east vs west affair, and the USA sent vast swaths of it's manufacturing base to the east. Many of the promises we are making will take over a year to fulfill because of these limitations. So now, we are going to be scrambling to ramp up, but that doesn't happen overnight. Meanwhile, Ukraine hangs on by taking what we can give them. They probably don't have much of any manufacturing capacity left. And Europe's situation in that regard is not good either. With the high price of energy, many of the steel mills have been hit hard and some have been shut down. If you can't make steel, you can't provide what your soldiers need to win a war. They are relying very heavily on the USA and it's military industrial complex/manufacturing capacity.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:38 PM

10,069 posts, read 4,802,118 times
The German Leopard tanks due by mid spring. Don't bet the farm on it but there will be a delay in which Putin may try exploit along with his engineers looking for other ways to destroy them.

https://www.dw.com/en/top-stories/s-9097

Ukraine should stay on theoffensive and/or fake any where, don't let Putin en mass undisturbed because over the next month look for an Russian offensive.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:40 PM

182 posts, read 333,027 times
Quote:
Whether people on this forum and elsewhere want to acknowledge or can see it, Ukraine will not win this war.
Not seeing your basis for this. Counter examples would be Vietnam, Soviet-Afghan war, US Afghan occupation. Its hard to conquer people who don't want to be conquered and have wealthy friends.

In any case, Russia will never be able to have normal relations with the rest of the world until they make amends for this aggression.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:41 PM

332 posts, read 245,160 times
With Modern Main battle tanks on the way in a few months.. you would think if Putin was planning a major offensive, he would want to do it before those tanks get on the field.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:09 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,267,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
With Modern Main battle tanks on the way in a few months.. you would think if Putin was planning a major offensive, he would want to do it before those tanks get on the field.
Mother Nature might just decide to provide mud to harass any Russian effort to launch a spoiling attack

Old 01-26-2023, 01:18 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
Here is some very sober analysis from War on the Rocks interview with Michael Kofman on Russia's ability to conduct an offensive right now. They discuss this at the 22:55 mark

https://warontherocks.com/2023/01/ma...se-in-ukraine/

Russia simply has too many constraints.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:57 PM

5,130 posts, read 2,086,525 times
I think it might not be a good idea to post that clip but I couldn't resist. Jimmy Dore vlogged with a touch of humor about Ukraine and Zelensky from around 0:30 to around 2:25 in that vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtEglfF8030

Old 01-26-2023, 02:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,018,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Why would you believe these numbers?

If 8 times as many Ukrainians are dying as Russians, why did the Russian army retreat in the north and south? If only 20k dead, why draft 300k more?

I don’t know what the correct ratio is, but this seems so out of whack with other known facts that I think you are very wrong.

already posted this one time... ill do it one more time

The Russian army suffered heavy losses in the first days of the war, and from the very first days, the Ministry of Defense kept them secret. Sergei Shoigu only mentioned casualties twice, most recently in September. According to him, only 5,937 Russian servicemen died in Ukraine. Mediazona tries to count the deaths that we are able to independently verify. As of December 30, we know the names of more than 10,000 dead military personnel. This data does not reflect the real number of casualties, we only take into account verifiable reports from relatives, local authorities, regional media and volunteers.

Go here....

https://en.zona.media/article/2022/12/31/warnumbers

In a video published on Twitter on Wednesday, von der Leyen said, "More than 100,000 Ukrainian military officers have been killed” since the start of the conflict and that an estimated 20,000 civilians have died due to the fighting.

The tweet was later deleted.....for propaganda reasons.

https://english.almayadeen.net/news/...-ukrainian-cas

Old 01-26-2023, 02:41 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,845,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I stopped reading when the article states, " I have been warning from the outset that the West has been the aggressor".
Well obviously you think this all started last February then don't you? I encourage you to continue to read and post into your deluded echo chamber. War is good and this ain't gonna cost us a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies