Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 01:49 PM

5,106 posts, read 2,343,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Says you.
The second schools opened for in-person learning in my state, cases shot back up again.
One of the largest districts lasted one week before going remote again.
Just saying ”open everything up” does nothing to help the issue.
And being dismissive of the very real costs that suburban parents are paying due to Trump’s own negligence is exactly why he’s losing their votes.

All the virtue-signaling in the world about lost academic progress is not going to change the fact that school systems cannot afford to have the virus run rampant throughout their staff, a large proportion of whom are older and/or belong to more at-risk populations.

So because the virus didn’t just magically go away, here we are.
If people lay what they are experiencing now at the feet of Trump, it’s because he deserves it.

Two articles that detail reality for many suburban parents:

“ Clara-Cantillo, a patient educator with a pharmaceutical company in New York who’s always worked from home, said her usual routine has been upended by skyrocketing utility bills, dozens more meals to cook for her three children, and exorbitant child care costs.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...inues-n1242676

“As virtual schooling ramps up in some areas, women are being forced to make the choice between caring for their children or prioritizing their own career. This sets up a huge and largely overlooked threat that hangs over women’s participation in the workforce and their recovery from the job losses in the recession.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...icing-n1242153
You can do everything you can to limit the spread of coronavirus or you can send your kids to school. You can't do both, but you seem to think that that's what you're entitled to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 01:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,780,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You're all for having "affordable housing" units dropped into the middle of your neighborhood; until those units are actually built, that is. We'll see what you have to say about it then.
I don't care, there is a low rent complex right next door to our complex with higher rents, and they don't bother us and we don't bother them. That fear mongering won't work on me. Plus, I'm not the one who believes the poors shouldn't have a place to live that isn't segregated out to no end

Old 10-25-2020, 01:57 PM

10,175 posts, read 4,882,789 times
City transplants doing most of the damage to conservative numbers. They frequently bring their politics with them like a piece of luggage.

One would figure if they want to move out of a particular environment bringing the same politics that contributed to conditions that incentivized many to move wouldn't be a good idea but many enough don't think so.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:55 PM

25,891 posts, read 20,839,746 times
Quote:
You're all for having "affordable housing" units dropped into the middle of your neighborhood; until those units are actually built, that is. We'll see what you have to say about it then.
They are already here and I am perfectly fine with it.
Why would it bother you, if, for example, they built income restricted housing for seniors in your neighborhood?
Should they not live in the suburbs?

Honestly, the paranoia of some is just astounding.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You can do everything you can to limit the spread of coronavirus or you can send your kids to school. You can't do both, but you seem to think that that's what you're entitled to.
Your empathy for those having to make that decision is duly noted.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Why would it bother you, if, for example, they built income restricted housing for seniors in your neighborhood?

Uh-huh, where? Name the town that you live in. The AFFH isn't about housing for seniors, so we're talking about two different things.

I've lived in a neighborhood that was full on Section 8 housing, and it wasn't enjoyable. I don't plan to do it again.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't care, there is a low rent complex right next door to our complex with higher rents, and they don't bother us and we don't bother them. That fear mongering won't work on me. Plus, I'm not the one who believes the poors shouldn't have a place to live that isn't segregated out to no end
You live in downtown Phoenix, and you're probably a single/childless person. We're talking about suburban moms.

I believe that people should live where they can afford to live. I want a condo in Miami Beach below 5th Street. Where's mine? Hopefully Joe Biden will hook me up.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 AM

20,148 posts, read 16,304,010 times
Quote:

AFFH has NOTHING to do with senior housing.

By the way, no one cares if restricted senior housing is built next to them. They are very good neighbors - low crime, low noise, no vandalism, no shooting, no hot rodding, everyone in their own home shortly after dark, no tax increase to pay for higher educational costs, no parties, no drug dealing on the corner, no midnight basketball games - the worst thing you can say about senior housing is you get an upswing in yappy little dogs and little poop piles. Introduce me to the person who objects to restricted senior housing in their neighborhood and I’ll introduce you to a pompous idiot. General Section 8 housing, whether a complex, multiple housing building, or single homes, and its whole different story.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Uh-huh, where? Name the town that you live in. The AFFH isn't about housing for seniors, so we're talking about two different things.

I've lived in a neighborhood that was full on Section 8 housing, and it wasn't enjoyable. I don't plan to do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
AFFH has NOTHING to do with senior housing.

By the way, no one cares if restricted senior housing is built next to them. They are very good neighbors - low crime, low noise, no vandalism, no shooting, no hot rodding, everyone in their own home shortly after dark, no tax increase to pay for higher educational costs, no parties, no drug dealing on the corner, no midnight basketball games - the worst thing you can say about senior housing is you get an upswing in yappy little dogs and little poop piles. Introduce me to the person who objects to restricted senior housing in their neighborhood and I’ll introduce you to a pompous idiot. General Section 8 housing, whether a complex, multiple housing building, or single homes, and its whole different story.

Interesting that the perception is that the AFFH didn’t also cover senior housing as it certainly was designed to include age discrimination.
People just hear what they want to hear, I guess, and a lot of people sure want to hear “all lower income people are criminals.”

“ A senior living association said it is “disappointed and concerned” with the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s announcement that it will terminate an Obama-era rule, reversing 2015 regulations designed to reduce housing discrimination and segregation.
“Requiring local governments to take proactive steps to protect and further fair housing access is critically important for older adults of all walks of life,” LeadingAge President and CEO Katie Smith Sloan told McKnight’s Senior Living. “Our membership of affordable senior housing providers help older adults find a safe and dignified place to age, and we rely on our partners in government to pave the way. During a pandemic that has hurt older adult and racial minority communities the most, we need to make sure fair housing protections are strong.”“

https://www.mcknightsseniorliving.co...living-leader/

Old 10-26-2020, 12:20 PM

20,148 posts, read 16,304,010 times
Quote:
Interesting that the perception is that the AFFH didn’t also cover senior housing as it certainly was designed to include age discrimination.
People just hear what they want to hear, I guess, and a lot of people sure want to hear “all lower income people are criminals.”

“ A senior living association said it is “disappointed and concerned” with the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s announcement that it will terminate an Obama-era rule, reversing 2015 regulations designed to reduce housing discrimination and segregation.
“Requiring local governments to take proactive steps to protect and further fair housing access is critically important for older adults of all walks of life,” LeadingAge President and CEO Katie Smith Sloan told McKnight’s Senior Living. “Our membership of affordable senior housing providers help older adults find a safe and dignified place to age, and we rely on our partners in government to pave the way. During a pandemic that has hurt older adult and racial minority communities the most, we need to make sure fair housing protections are strong.”“

https://www.mcknightsseniorliving.co...living-leader/
Good grief. Of course not all lower income people are criminals. Matter of fact, the vast majority of low income people are not criminals. None of that changes the fact that crime rates of an area correlates with poverty rates.

Experts Explain Movement of Crime
American Murder Mystery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies