Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 10:05 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,083,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That is good and nice in theory, but voting is the ONLY real way of letting people know what the majority of people want, and I think that government should do what is best for the majority.

Of course, I am definitely not saying, "minorities be damned", but I for one am tired of having the wants and needs of the majority of middle class and working people being ignored.
So I’m assuming your a big fan of scrapping the electoral college and replacing it with the popular vote since your so heavily invested in the majority’s will superseding everything in politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 10:30 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,064,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is in the vital national interest of Americans to finish building the Mexican Border Wall and stopping illegal aliens from getting into the United States.

Trump needs to be re-elected for that reason alone.
Oh, please. Like the horde of immigrants streaming for our southern border that Trump tried to set everyone’s hair on fire about before the midterms? The horde that magically disappeared the day after?

This country has a lot graver problems than immigration.

Last edited by reebo; 10-25-2020 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-25-2020, 11:33 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Personally, the people who scare me the most are the people who support tRump the man, and not tRump just because he's a Republican. I can understand though disagree with the second stance. But the first makes me think they have a different view of reality than the rest of us
I won't vote for "the man" or even "the party". I'll be voting for Trump because of his policies. Policies aimed at helping America, that puts the interests of Americans first instead of subjugating them to every 3rd world craphole. That help the American working class, through reduced taxes and bringing jobs, especially manufacturing, back to this country. That promotes a strong military, but greatly reduced interventionism and sacrificing of American lives across the globe. That promotes safety and security for law abiding Americans, instead of domestic terrorists.

Biden's stated policies are a recipe for disaster-which frankly seems to be the goal of the Democratic party. Unlimited immigration. Health care for foreign criminals, paid for by the American taxpayers. Depressing American wages and the American working class. Raising taxes on companies and individuals producing in this country and pushing jobs overseas again. Catering to Iran, a criminal regime that has attacked Americans and promises the genocide of the Jewish people. The destruction of the US oil and gas industry, forcing our dependency on foreign oil (I guess Burisma really did pay his family well). Putting violent criminals on our streets-while defunding the police. Disarming law abiding citizens AS they put violent criminals on the street and gut our law enforcement. Hell the fool's own campaign staff and VP candidate are funding and enabling domestic terrorists! In short-everything Biden has said he wants to do, harms this nation. Only an utter fool would vote for him. Of course, the MSM isn't reporting a word of his actual policies, only OMB.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Their children should already be back in school. For children, COVID-19 is safer than the flu and the losses they have already suffered and life-long lasting negative impact these shutdowns, especially the interruption of their school attendance, will have on them have FAR exceeded any risk Covid presented to THEM. We have sacrificed young lives for old lives and it borders on immoral - and that aspect was not done by Trump.

The problem, though, is it isn’t those suburban mommies’ children that are truly suffering. Sure, the schools being shut down are an inconvenience for them, but their children still eat every day and they have the wherewithal to make sure their kids are still being educated. No, it is those lowly poverty drenched children who currently live nowhere near their protected enclaves, including a high portion of minority children, that are being decimated, because truth be told, they need the safety net function of schools more than the education function. By the time this is done, the academic gap we had prior to Covid will have blown up into an academic canyon. Again, it is not Trump who is responsible for this. He wants them back in school as much as I do, granted probably for different reasons, and he has been blasted for it.

And, psst, I didn’t vote for him. Not last time, not this time.
Says you.
The second schools opened for in-person learning in my state, cases shot back up again.
One of the largest districts lasted one week before going remote again.
Just saying ”open everything up” does nothing to help the issue.
And being dismissive of the very real costs that suburban parents are paying due to Trump’s own negligence is exactly why he’s losing their votes.

All the virtue-signaling in the world about lost academic progress is not going to change the fact that school systems cannot afford to have the virus run rampant throughout their staff, a large proportion of whom are older and/or belong to more at-risk populations.

So because the virus didn’t just magically go away, here we are.
If people lay what they are experiencing now at the feet of Trump, it’s because he deserves it.

Two articles that detail reality for many suburban parents:

“ Clara-Cantillo, a patient educator with a pharmaceutical company in New York who’s always worked from home, said her usual routine has been upended by skyrocketing utility bills, dozens more meals to cook for her three children, and exorbitant child care costs.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...inues-n1242676

“As virtual schooling ramps up in some areas, women are being forced to make the choice between caring for their children or prioritizing their own career. This sets up a huge and largely overlooked threat that hangs over women’s participation in the workforce and their recovery from the job losses in the recession.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...icing-n1242153

Old 10-25-2020, 11:55 AM

19,828 posts, read 9,392,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
So I’m assuming your a big fan of scrapping the electoral college and replacing it with the popular vote since your so heavily invested in the majority’s will superseding everything in politics.
Oh, please -- that is NOT what I am saying -- and in fact, your bringing the electoral college actually supports what I am saying, as many liberals make no secret about wanting to eliminate the EC. As the heavily populated "blue" states have more "minorities", if the EC is eliminated, we will have one liberal POTUS after another, and this will mean that the liberal agenda will dominate, and conservatives in red states will have a government that gives no heed to what conservatives want -- in effect, this will be "taxation without representation."

So thanks for posting.

P.S. On Edit: But I admit that I did not make myself clear when I said, "I think that government should do what is best for the majority", although I did then clarify what I meant when I added "the majority of middle class and working people [are] being ignored." So when I said "majority" in the post your, what I meant was majority meaning the majority of people who are working/middle class . I was not referring to liberals vs. conservatives or whites vs. people of color, but just to the fact that most people WORK for a living vs. those who don't or who are in this country illegally (and who many liberals want the government and working taxpayers to support with fewer and fewer restrictions). I apologize for not being clearer.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-25-2020 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 12:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, please -- that is NOT what I am saying -- and in fact, about the the electoral college actually supports what I am saying, as many liberals make no secret about wanting to eliminate the EC, and the heavily populated "blue" states have more lower income people and "minorities", so if the EC is eliminated, many middle class and working class people living in "red" states will have even less "say" than they do now.

So thanks for posting.
Well no the folks in those red states are the minority, and everyone else is the majority, as everyone else adds up to over 50% of the population. The middle and working class in red states would be the minority if eliminating the electoral college hurt their say in elections.

I make no qualms of wanting Joe Biden to win because I want him to win. But if the majority of people are Joe Biden supporters that doesn't change my vote.

You say you want the will of the majority, but what you really want is middle class and working class people who follow your ideology to prosper. If the majority is the middle class and working class folks who vote for Democrats, who are the actual majority at least poll wise and were in 2016, you wouldn't want them to win. So please don't pretend you support the majority of middle class and working class voters, when you don't.

Your not going to change your vote if the middle and working class vote Joe Biden in, you just want to say you support whoever the middle class and working class candidate is. I don't vote out of trying to appeal to my fellow working men, and neither should you. If only the rich and upper middle class voted for Trump and no one else or they voted for Biden it doesn't matter to me, and it shouldn't matter to you in my honest opinion. But I shouldn't be telling you how to live your life, so you can throw my opinion in the trash.

The needs of the middle class and working class are never ignored, because every election they make up the majority of the voting public... People who say that, only say it because THEIR personal belief in what is good for middle class and working class folks isn't being met.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:25 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know why you keep repeating that, because it's false. I'm nowhere near being in the top 1%, and Trump's policies have benefited me greatly.

Now for someone making minimum wage, then yeah maybe they didn't benefit from his tax policy, but the fact is most low wage earners don't pay income tax anyways, especially if they have kids.
True but it goes further. Lower-income workers saw some of their largest wage-gains in history during the Trump administration. Facts scare liberals.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:00 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,064,987 times
Please cite your source.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,318,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It really is fascinating the way he has taken control of their minds. I have never seen such a large group of people pretend the constant bat schitt crazy things he said and did never happened, or worse yet they perform mental gymnastics to somehow justify them.
I'm going to steal a line from someone else, who put this perfectly: the choice is between the semi-deranged candidate of a pretty weak and ineffectual political party, and the weak and ineffectual candidate of a semi-deranged political party. I choose the former option, and it's not even close.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:44 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,318,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Another one who thinks that what people are living with right now should be overruled by fear-mongering from a septuagenarian racist.
That people believe that this should be the primary issue for suburban mothers - not healthcare for their children or reducing the spread of the virus so that their kids can actually go back to school - is very telling.
And what it’s telling is a very ugly story.
You're all for having "affordable housing" units dropped into the middle of your neighborhood; until those units are actually built, that is. We'll see what you have to say about it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies