Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There are no facts, there is no logic, that could ever be persuasive. Or even really considered. We are all supposed to be rugged individualists...sovereign citizen acceptors of Personal Responsibility® who make our own way in the world, asking no quarter and giving none.

The lone wolves. The wild stallions. Maybe it's too much testosterone or not enough of something else, but the rest of us are just going to have to run the world without them. It's only the way they'd want it, after all...
Not really. There are plenty of facts, just many choose to ignore the ones they don't want to acknowledge.

Should we all be "rugged individualists" as you describe? Maybe not in the same way people had to be 100 years ago, but although you mock the concept of "personal responsibility," being more self reliant and making decisons that impact your life positively is something that many could benefit from doing. Too many people EXPECT that others will pay for their mistakes and that the government will provide for them.

In this country, there is a multitude of opportunity for those who make the decision to work hard and establish goals for themselves. No one can do it for you. Contrast that with what I perceive you believe, that success is luck and that failure is a product of your environment. Sure bad things happen to good people, but the successful people are the ones who brush off the adversity and press on.

It has nothing to do with testosterone, more with a desire to control your own destiny and not blame others for your shortcomings. Not everyone can live up to the ideal (I know I can't), but everyone should make the effort. Sitting back and blaming others while you pity your own perceived victimhood is nonsense. Nothing to do with lone wolves either. Helping people who reciprocate is different from being forced to support people who expect it and demand it. A sense of community doesn't imply taking responsibility for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:14 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Ah, of course you're right - Liberals and dastardly Democrats all love paying more in taxes.: )

This is the lamest argument yet.
English taxes are not much worse (if at all) than American taxes when you take property tax and health insurance premiums into account.

Plus care is aimed more at preventative medicine so as a whole health care costs a lot less than here, and people are much healthier.

I say again: the POOREST people of Britain are healthier than the RICHEST Americans.

That is astounding, it really is.
And why is this the case? Because the health care is preventative. That is key. You get your tests done quickly and people are not afraid to go to the doctor.

No-one wants to pay more taxes, but here's another liberal idea; take some of the BILLIONS of dollars being thrown away in Iraq and spend it on the citizens of America.

I wanted to hit ya with some reps again..but I must spread the joy first... LOL. Great post

Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Really? Including those that don't work? And those that get paid "under the table (as many do)?
There already getting free healthcare.. they just walk into an ER when they are having trouble.. only the ER cost us MUCH more than a trip to the Dr. would..

The rest that aren't "working" but are "legal" .. they get medicaid.. so they are already taken care of...

So that argument is useless.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
There already getting free healthcare.. they just walk into an ER when they are having trouble.. only the ER cost us MUCH more than a trip to the Dr. would..

The rest that aren't "working" but are "legal" .. they get medicaid.. so they are already taken care of...

So that argument is useless.
Ok...agreed. So instead of reducing the current cost by stopping the illegal influx, removing the ones that are here already, along with working on making citizens who are unemployed into productive and employed taxpayers, let's just create a mega-bureaucracy and nationalize healthcare.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:25 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,180 times
The extent and severity of this issue is skewed like the so called 'mortgage crisis' good grief.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Just how expensive is it in other countries for middle income wage earners? In the U.S. 12% (no socialized health care systems), Canada is almost doubled at 22%, the UK is more than doubled at 27%, and France is more than tripled at 41%. Having someone else pay for your health care? Priceless... someone is paying and that someone is the middle class...
I don't understand where these numbers come from. I just look at what people pay in taxes - I know a good cross section of people from investment bankers to school teachers in the UK. Their taxes are no higher than they would be here. Often lower if you factor in real estate taxes which are a fraction of the cost in the US.
Just looking at how the average person pays. Don't know how this fits in with your figures.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I don't understand where these numbers come from. I just look at what people pay in taxes - I know a good cross section of people from investment bankers to school teachers in the UK. Their taxes are no higher than they would be here. Often lower if you factor in real estate taxes which are a fraction of the cost in the US.
Just looking at how the average person pays. Don't know how this fits in with your figures.
His numbers are way off.. i've posted links in other threads to the actual number in percentage of taxes paid.. I can't nor don't have the time right now.. but theya re there in other threads.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Ok...agreed. So instead of reducing the current cost by stopping the illegal influx, removing the ones that are here already, along with working on making citizens who are unemployed into productive and employed taxpayers, let's just create a mega-bureaucracy and nationalize healthcare.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Actually I've posted a link showing a study done that shows that the actual cost of emergent care by uninsured were mostly WORKING American citizens that were uninsured.. for one.

Second.. to use your "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" .. I can say teh same back to you... because of the "illegal" population you want to tak away UHI for the rest of us American Citizens.. on the ARGUMENT that they too will get "free healthcare..(although UHI is NOT free.. as it's paid for by taxes!!!).. yet these people are ALREADY geting that "free" care because they either DONT WORK.. and are illegal or a combination of the both!

High cost is a COMBINATION of things.. and we may not be able to eliminate the illegal problem and the unemployed problem.. but there are many areas that UHI would "clean up" so to speak and SAVE money..

And again.. these people are already getting free healthcare ALONG with all the other problems the system has.. we can ATLEAST fix the other umpteen problems thereby lowering cost.. and the effect of the illegals and those not workign will NOT be as felt.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
insurance companies stand to make record profits if democrats are elected...

Really? I assume they will all be supporting Hillary or Obama then.
They're not? Why? Because while they may make more money in premiums (if this is the route taken which I doubt), those health plans would have to be much more affordable than they are now. No point in requiring a minimum wage family to spend $1500/ month on health care. So the profit per plan will go down.

Next I suspect that a priority would be made of ensuring that these companies actually pay up to cover claims.

Oops; more profit out the window.

They may not be allowed to rubber stamp an enormous percentage of claims with 'DENIED' without even bothering to read them.

When you have insurance companies requiring that a certain percentage of claims has to be denied or the reviewer doesn't get their bonus, then you have an unfair system.

It has to change. The system as it stands is an embarassment.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,180 times
in Britian income tax rates are:

0 - £2,230 tax rate is 10%
£2,231- £34,600 tax rate is 22%
Over £34,600 tax rate is 40%

so everyone pays 10% on the first 2230
then 22% on the rest up to 34600
whatever is left is at 40%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies