Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 12:09 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,791 times

Advertisements

I love reading these posts from people who have absolutely no idea about Universal Health Care. The common theme from the Anti UHC people seems to be --- It will be too expensive or why should i pay for other people who don't contribute or i'm perfectly happy with what i have. As i have said before, UHC will dramatically bring down the premiums of private health insurance. No one has to give up their private health insurance but it will cost them less for both UHC and private combined than what they are paying now. The UHC Hospitals are top quality health care Hospitals. No one can predict a catastrophy or illness, i will love seeing these "i'm ok jack" people when they fall from grace and need health care. The people who say that they are not going to pay for people who don't pay --- They didn't mind the Govt stepping in when the rich houses were burned down in L.A. or when everyone screams for help when they live in a area prone to natural disasters and need help. This is paid for people who didn't contribute. There is a fear in some people in the USA that their elitist private health care cover will not give them the one upmanship that they crave. Health care should be a right to every single person in the USA not a privelige of the ones who can afford it. Unfortunately the Health care System in the USA is broken and it will take trillions to put it right. Well it costs that to put men into space. Which one is more important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,208,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I love reading these posts from people who have absolutely no idea about Universal Health Care. The common theme from the Anti UHC people seems to be --- It will be too expensive or why should i pay for other people who don't contribute or i'm perfectly happy with what i have. As i have said before, UHC will dramatically bring down the premiums of private health insurance. No one has to give up their private health insurance but it will cost them less for both UHC and private combined than what they are paying now. The UHC Hospitals are top quality health care Hospitals. No one can predict a catastrophy or illness, will love seeing these "i'm ok jack" people when they fall from grace and need health care. The people who say that they are not going to pay for people who don't --- They didn't mind the Govt stepping in when the rich houses were burned down in L.A. or when everyone screams for help when they live in a area prone to natural disasters and need help. There is a fear in some people in the USA that their elitist private health care cover will not give them the one upmanship that they crave. Health care should be a right to every single person in the USA not a privelige of the ones who can afford it. Unfortunately the Health care System in the USA is broken and it will take trillions to put it right. Well it costs that to put men into space. Which one is more important?
Here is another person, who instead of listing facts or discussing the specifics, instead engages in character assasination and disparages the motives of the people who disagree. All we hear is how people who disagree are selfish and have an "I'm OK...the hell with you attitude", and how those in favor are altruistic in their motives. Yeah, we're all just selfish bastards who want to see little children starve and old ladies dying in the streets.

What a load of BS.

P.S. - As for houses that get destroyed from fire/flood/natural disaster... if you bought a house in that type of environment and didn't protect yourself with adequate insurance, then tough. No gov't bailout. You made your choice and you gambled and lost. As for storms like Katrina, the first layer of protection should be the city and state, with the feds being the last resort. That is where gov't is supposed to intervene. Gov't should do what it's not feasible for individuals to do themselves, like roads, police, fire, schools, military, disaster relief.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:21 PM

I have on many posts put facts about this issue. I have even put links to National Health Hospitals in the UK so that you can see exactly what you get. This is a subject that stirs a lot of debate from all sides. The Health care system in the USA is going to change, of that there is no doubt. I just hope that it changes for the better. If anyone believes that the Health System in the USA is ok as it is, then there is a huge problem. Fortunately many people now realise that it needs fixing and i am sure that the politicians realise that it is a top issue for them to resolve. Whatever side you take, change is on the way. The USA is a amazing country. Why do you let your health care system, let you down?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,911,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I love reading these posts from people who have absolutely no idea about Universal Health Care.
Not as much as I love people posting about the problems of the existing health care system and have absolutely no idea about how it works either.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 PM

418 posts, read 565,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Here is another person, who instead of listing facts or discussing the specifics, instead engages in character assasination and disparages the motives of the people who disagree. All we here is how people who disagree are selfish and have an "I'm OK...the hell with you attitude", and how those in favor are some altruistic in their motives. Yeah, we're all just selfish bastards who want to see little children starve and old ladies dying in the streets.

What a load of BS.

P.S. - As for houses that get destroyed from fire/flood/natural disaster... if you bought a house in that type of environment and didn't protect yourself with adequate insurance, then tough. No gov't bailout. You made your choice and you gambled and lost. As for storms like Katrina, the first layer of protection should be the city and state, with the feds being the last resort. That is where gov't is supposed to intervene. Gov't should do what it's not feasible for individuals to do themselves, like roads, police, fire, schools, military, disaster relief.

You want NUMBERS? OK... to fill you up on your ignorance, CHECK hospital beds per capita, doctors per capita, infant mortality rates and lifespan.

ALSO, tell me which other country, western, other than US doesn't cover 100% of nation.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
You want NUMBERS? OK... to fill you up on your ignorance, CHECK hospital beds per capita, doctors per capita, infant mortality rates and lifespan.

ALSO, tell me which other country, western, other than US doesn't cover 100% of nation.
Sounds like somebody wants to move... I wonder what is taking holding them back.... oh right, its the money and wanting more entitlements...

Old 03-09-2008, 12:32 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,019,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Not as much as I love people posting about the problems of the existing health care system and have absolutely no idea about how it works either.
On the contrary .. Geero knows well how the system works.. and how it DOESN'T work.. his wife is American.. and he's had the ADVANTAGE of seeing both OUR sytem AND the UHI system first hand.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,883,864 times
Maybe he should move back to the UHS system. Whats that? He wants the entitlement and also the ability to make more money? Not on the skin on my back...

Old 03-09-2008, 12:37 PM

I have lived in countries without a UHC. My wife is American and she also now knows the difference between UHC and private health care. I spend a lot of time in the USA now and i am buying properties there. To see a system that has problems and to be told of it, can offend some people. That is not a reason to stop the fixing of the American health service. If you feel that there isn't a problem with the health system as it stands in the USA, then that is your perogative,but it doesn't make it true. Big business dictates in America. If you like your life being dictated to by big corporations then leave everything as it is.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,019,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well, now that you've twisted half my words and put your words in my mouth, I guess you're right. We're all just greedy, selfish swine, who should be our brothers' keepers and lay our resources on the table for them to have.

Dropped out of school at 16? No problem, we'll take care of you.

Had a baby (or 3) out of marriage and can't afford to take care of them? No problem, we'll take care of you.

Too lazy to work, or you just don't have the mental capacity to do more than menial or minimum wage labor? No problem, we'll take care of you.

Committed a crime and now you're back on the streets? No problem, we'll take care of you.

Why not? The greedy, selfish, "rich" people who go to work and pay their taxes don't deserve to keep their own money when there are so many good uses for it like the ones I mentioned. How nasty and selfish to actually require that people face the consequences of their own choices and actions. How mean spirited to want the fruits of your own hard work to pay off for you and your family and not be taken from you.

If only we lived in a society where there was no private property and the government shared all the resources with every citizen. Life would be a utopian paradise. No hunger, no sickness, no selfish profit motives. Oh...wait a minute...didn't they try that in eastern Europe for a good part of the 20th century? Hmmm....yeah, wasn't that what millions risked their lives to rebel against in the 1980s and early 1990s? That experiment didn't work out so well.
Excuse me.. but the people suffering on this health insurance crisis are NOT the H.S drop out or welfare collecting lazy people you want to MAKE them out to be..

They are actually well educated.. hard working people with families who otherwise DO NOT take any type of "government handout" and do indeed pay taxes JUST like the rest of you!

Look at your neighbor.. they are those in crisis my friend.. THEY are the ones that should the company fire them will be out of insurance.. or should they befall some serious illness, although covered, may end up loosing everything because some insurance company doesn't want to pay.. OR they didn't have enough coverage (their employer cut back because of cost) to take care of their illness properly.

You rich elite and "haves" need to stop labeling all those for UHI or in NEED of a UHI as those same that are at the offices collecting WELFARE.. GUESS WHAT.. those WELFARE recipients.. those h.S drop outs..etc.. THEY ARE ALREADY GETTING HEALTHCARE AND THEY ARE GETTING IT FOR FREE WITHOUT ANY TAX CONTRIBUTIONS INTO THE SYSTEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies