Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,020,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I thought it would be interesting to do a kind of poll. : )

1: Are you For or Against universal health care?

100% For

2: How many of those who are against universal health care have lived in a country WITH universal health care? If so where? What was your experience?

I haven't.. but my husband has and his family does.

2B: If your above answer was 'yes':were your taxes dramatically higher than your current taxes?
No.. their taxes are NOT higher than ours!

3: How many of you have a serious illness or have a close family member with a serious illness?
I'm a type 1 diabetic.
4: How many of you have lost jobs that have left you without health insurance even for a short period?
I've been in and out of jobs a lot and have had to go without while inbetween. I am currentlly self employed and pay a HUGE amount for my premiums.. husband is uninsured because we can't afford to insure him, me and and our son.. so he goes without.

5: How many of you have watched Michael Moore's; Sicko? I know lots of people love to hate Michael Moore so I'm not looking for posts bashing Michael Moore - just wondering if you watched Sicko.

I knew there were problems before..but I was OUTRAGED and just how bad it REALLY is!

6: Have any of you filed bankruptcy due to unforseen medical expenses (either with or without health insurance).

Fortunately I haevn't.. but I can see how it could be me in the future . I can barely keep up with my premium now and if I lose my insurance I certainly would be in trouble.

7: ** I MADE UP THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES** Do you consider yourself to be 'rich'(household income $200,000/year plus), 'middle class'(household income $50,000 - $200,000/ year) or 'poor'(houshold income under $50,000/ year)? Do these sound like fair categorizations?

Middle Income.. although $50 - 100K is better to describe middle income. I think it's like $45K .. is about U.S middle average income, if I"m not mistaken. People over $100K are upper middle and definately upper middle bordering rich at the $200K a year mark, depending onwhere they live especially. for a person making $100K an insurance premium is only 2% of their income.. for a person %50K a premium like I have (here in NY) is 16% of their income.

I am just wondering how the answers to these questions effect people's opinions.

I didn't think much about health insurance until my husband was laid off. Never crossed my mind before that. Now it does.

And my answers are:

1: For.

2: Yes. England, Denmark and Holland. In England I had the UK's private health insurance; BUPA, when I was younger (under my Father's policy). It was great. When I started work I chose to stick with the NHS. Never had any problems with health care which was always fine, but my dental care was sub par and I have spent a LOT of money correcting dental issues since living in the States.
In DK and NL health care was good, free and fast. No problems.

2B: No.

3: Yes. My aunt had breast cancer. Had free health care in the UK and is now healthy (touch wood).

4: Yes. My husband was laid off and had 6 months of unemployment. We signed up for a health insurance policy which covers emergencies only. It was expensive and our deductable in case of emergency was something like $6000.

5: Yes.

6: No. Thank goodness.

7: Mostly middle class. Very occassionally rich for a year or two! : )

Unfortunately many people who are upper middle and rich and those that have employer insurance and have never come up or have yet to come up against an insurance denial, loss of job and hence insurance willb e against it. Most don't realize their really is a serious problem or understand the costs until it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 01:07 PM

418 posts, read 565,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
WRONG! I have corrected you on this before. Last year a woman got refused for much needed medical attention in the emergency room of a Los Angeles hospital and ended up dead there. These cases, granted, are probably rare, but then I wonder for everyone who turns up in the national news from dying for lack of medical care, how many more are going unreported?
You can say all you want, but it seems some people are ignorant, until it happens to them... isnurance won't cover... sell your house to cover operation and meds etc.

With almost 50 million without HI, and many more struggling... i'd say it's bad.

What i wonder is, how much longer will the costs of HI rise? With prices going up so fast, there could come a time when most of companies simply won't be able to afford it. There could be a huge crisis, and a meltdown of system.

Last edited by fiksi; 03-08-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
You can say all you want, but it seems some people are ignorant, until it happens to them... isnurance won't cover... sell your house to cover operation and meds etc.

With almost 50 million without HI, and many more struggling... i'd say it's bad.

What i wonder is, how much longer will the costs of HI rise? With prices going up so fast, there could come a time when most of companies simply won't be able to afford it. There could be a huge crisis, and a meltdown of system.
i agree..it's a coming!!! That's for sure. .I mean look at the numbers of the uninsured and underinsured rising.. because companies can't afford it anymore!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:31 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,890,561 times
Look at the number of people wanting medical care but waiting for those who are paying their premiums to also foot their bill....

Old 03-08-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
i agree..it's a coming!!! That's for sure. .I mean look at the numbers of the uninsured and underinsured rising.. because companies can't afford it anymore!
HI costs are increasing double the inflation in average, and almost double the salaries increase.

Every year, there are more uninsured, and less companies providing insurance.

Not only are the prices going up, but the coverage of policies is also dropping.

In theory, companies have two options-buy less coverage or cut it completely, and they can shift more and more costs to employees-if they provide any insurance at all.

Today, a family ins costs around 12 000$.

This could also hurt ecnonomy very badly. Think about it... people struggle to pay for more HI, so they spend less on other things.

Does a crisis have to happen for changes to happen?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
HI costs are increasing double the inflation in average, and almost double the salaries increase.

Not only are the prices going up, but the coverage of policies is also dropping.

In theory, companies have two options-buy less coverage or cut it completely, and they can shift more and more costs to employees-if they provide any insurance at all.

This could also hurt ecnonomy very badly. Think about it... people struggle to pay for more HI, so they spend less on other things.

Unfortunately the answer to your last quesiton is Yes.. because not enough realize the problem is really a problem yet.. There are also those that "have" that don't care that more and more "have not". Status quo is okay for "them" so why change it.. It will take the nubmers getting higher and higher and then a real collapse for a change to take place that will make a difference and give us what we really need.

In the meantiem we'll ahve "bandaid" plans meant to appease the growing numbers of us that are unhappy and realize the problems.. while keepign those that are opposed holding their status quo.. but the bandaids will not last.. only slow down the inevitable.

I wish it could be different.. but a las.. it is what it is! I'll be happy to say I told you so though to those opposed when it does happen!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Unfortunately the answer to your last quesiton is Yes.. because not enough realize the problem is really a problem yet.. There are also those that "have" that don't care that more and more "have not". Status quo is okay for "them" so why change it.. It will take the nubmers getting higher and higher and then a real collapse for a change to take place that will make a difference and give us what we really need.

In the meantiem we'll ahve "bandaid" plans meant to appease the growing numbers of us that are unhappy and realize the problems.. while keepign those that are opposed holding their status quo.. but the bandaids will not last.. only slow down the inevitable.

I wish it could be different.. but a las.. it is what it is! I'll be happy to say I told you so though to those opposed when it does happen!

Pray the god you don't get sick before serious changes are made!

Well, i'll leave the country anyway... time to educate my kids properly
They won't be pointing to Australia when speaking about Iraq

The older i get, more likely i'll get sick... and back home i need not fear any kidn of poverty, neglection etc. Heathcare is a BASIC human right, not a privilege.

Wonder WHERE do all the taxes in this crazy country go?? This government provides NOTHING. bridges are falling apart, infrastructure is too old, no HI, measly pension, social security is zero, unemployment benefits weak...
police are UNDERFUNDED, and criminals, drug dealers etc. wander around as they please... no maternity leave etc.

WHAT exactly are we paying??

Old 03-08-2008, 02:40 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,150,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The reason I am ABSOLUTELY sure my employer won't drop the insurance?

I'm the employer
Touche'
Greatday, I think I love you!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:44 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,150,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The UN today is a very worthless and corrupt organization. It does not provide any useful service. IMO, it should be totally disbanded and closed.

New York could use that valuable piece of real estate for a more productive use anyway
Well and Truly said!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:53 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:

You guys need to understand that universal healthcare would be bad for this country. How many people are uninsured and why are they uninsured?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies