Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
What about freedom of speech? What do you mean by "you should and shouldn't say"? The first amendment tells me I can say whatever I want.

Amendment I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...irst_amendment
I am not aware of any laws forbidding you to use the word colored or oriental. This thread is not about legal rights, it's about whether those terms are offensive.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:00 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Many foreign exchange students I know only view Chinese, Japanese, Koreans as true Asians. I remember I asked them once, "So, do you mind being called oriental?" They said "No." They want to be viewed as different type of "Asian". Especially now, most Chinese Japanese Koreans are furious when media says "Most Muslims are Asians" LOL haha

To me, personally, I see everybody as the same. Do I use stupid Stereotypes sometimes ? Sure I do. The greatest athlete I know is my brother, he is obviously not a black guy. My brother is also ONE OF THE most handsome guy I know. (He is truly the best from both world) His best friend Thomas who is a black guy went to MIT. He perhaps is one of the most intelligent man I know. A muslim Marine I know would be one of the best war fighter I know. He is the most Patriotic, in my opinion. My brother's old CO in Marine Corps and his best Marine Corps friends are country boys . They are the most friendly and loving. They are a big part of my very happy childhood.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-31-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-31-2016, 01:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Yet, we STILL have the National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People!

One would think that IF the name is "offensive and could perhaps be considered racist ", why haven't THEY changed it?

As long as they keep it, I will use it.

Well, I'm in marketing, so maybe I have a better grasp of branding then most, but your comment just seems so *in your face* that it's difficult for me to believe you would STOP using the phrase even if the NAACP changed their name.

It says something about you, not the NAACP. They're continuing to use a name that will remind people of why they had to start their organization in the first place.

You're just looking for an excuse to poke people.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:29 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Right so because blacks use the word Niggga then I guess you will continue to use that too. Just make sure you don't say it around a group of Blacks
"Just make sure you don't say it around a group of Blacks"

Sorry to burst your bubble but, I have many black friends and THEY AGREE with me on the use of "colored" and THEY told me they hate "*****'s " because it gives the rest of them a bad name.

You see to those that know of the word knows it describes a certain black person by the way the act.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Umm....

Hello? Anyone home?

Bueller?.... Bueller?

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) ??

How many posts like this are people going to leave, as though they were the first to come up with it? Do you guys read the thread at all or just race to pound out smug posts?

And are you folks really so unaware that you cannot see the historical significance of keeping the name the same????

Please don't answer, it's a rhetorical question.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:30 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, I'm in marketing, so maybe I have a better grasp of branding then most, but your comment just seems so *in your face* that it's difficult for me to believe you would STOP using the phrase even if the NAACP changed their name.

It says something about you, not the NAACP. They're continuing to use a name that will remind people of why they had to start their organization in the first place.

You're just looking for an excuse to poke people.
You couldn't be MORE wrong!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
*****z gas station - Bing images

Then I guess this Nigerian based company didn't get the word that the "N word" is bad.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:17 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've noticed that Koreans bristle when others think them Chinese. Personally, I don't mind when non-Asians can't tell the different Asian nationalities apart.

My mother used to comment to me in the late '70's that she herself couldn't tell the (physical) difference between Chinese and Japanese people. However, if they happened to be wearing a camera around their neck, she would guess them to be Japanese. Meanwhile, my mother enjoyed using a camera and she was Chinese.
Rep miu

Old 03-31-2016, 03:21 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Why do you need a racial reference when talking about a person? I can't think of a single time in my life when it been necessary to attach a race or heritage adjective when referring to a person, "So, I was talking to this colored guy today and he has a great oriental mechanic.."
I don't get people's obsession with terminology when it comes to race. But then again there are countless threads around here with titles like, "where do all the Mexicans live" (true thread title) or even, "Can I find a neighborhood with large (whatever race) populations?" Maybe I'm the one out of touch.
When the US reinforces Racial/ethnic categories its no surprise. The sooner we all mix the better.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
*****z gas station - Bing images

Then I guess this Nigerian based company didn't get the word that the "N word" is bad.
Well, one the sign is in Turkey, and in Turkish, not English. Secondly the name of the country is Nigeria. Thirdly if you're so special that you think a corporate name in a foreign language is the same as a bigot spouting the n-word, I really can't help you beyond suggesting therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.