Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:08 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,054,891 times

Advertisements

This can't be a serious question. My grandparents use those words and they're 90. But they grew up with that.

Whats your excuse for being racist?

/facepalm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
oh, c'mon. . . . lighten up, they are just words!

Mick
It means more than that. Are you by any chance a straight white male?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Not racist per se, just really, really dated as a result they can indicated to the listener an inability to come to grips with the social changes that have transpired since such terms were social acceptable.

Personally, I give an allowance based upon the the age of the speaker.
Once upon a time...when we were black....

At my high school graduation ceremony in the early 70s, I was awarded a scholarship by a local men's social organization that was known to have had a racist history. As the old guy announced the award, he prefaced it with, "This is the first time we have made this award to a colored boy...."

There was a gasp over the entire auditorium.

But I thought, "What the heck. He's old and they're trying to give me money."

So "colored" was out of favor 40 years ago, and that old guy is long dead. It's disingenuous for anyone today to claim he doesn't know that.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 03-31-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've noticed that Koreans bristle when others think them Chinese. Personally, I don't mind when non-Asians can't tell the different Asian nationalities apart.

My mother used to comment to me in the late '70's that she herself couldn't tell the (physical) difference between Chinese and Japanese people. However, if they happened to be wearing a camera around their neck, she would guess them to be Japanese. Meanwhile, my mother enjoyed using a camera and she was Chinese.
There is kind of a set of "core" looks that to me distinguish Chinese, Korean, and Japanese people, but the indistinguishable overlaps are very broad.

My daughter had a close Japanese friend in high school who had the "core" Chinese look...and I wasn't the only one who thought so. She had been brought to tears more than once by Japanese who said she looked Chinese. While in Korea I also heard common references by Koreans speaking to me in English to "big-nosed Chinese," so they also have identified a "core" Chinese look.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:50 AM

39,315 posts, read 27,692,603 times
I personally don't really mind any particular words or term people use because intention to me is everything. The people I dislike the most are those who play dumb. Also, I have zero respect towards those who cannot take what they dish out.

Example, I think waterbording should be used in extreme cases. This is my opinion. Right or wrong, this is my opinion. A liberal said I believe what I believe because of my DNA (I have Japanese blood in me) I think war crimes were also committed by Allies of World War II, Oh brother, all hell breaks loose!! My ex boyfriend who is a Jewish guy has said the same thing.

I was born here in the United States, even my parents are fourth generation. My grandparents' family came here around 1870 (??) Everybody in my family is white, japanese/white/Hawaiian mixed. (that includes my grandparents) I know very little about Japanese culture, but I know a lot about history.

In this regard, I have at least some respect towards white supremacists, at least they are honest people.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-31-2016 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-31-2016, 11:08 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,219,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is kind of a set of "core" looks that to me distinguish Chinese, Korean, and Japanese people, but the indistinguishable overlaps are very broad.

My daughter had a close Japanese friend in high school who had the "core" Chinese look...and I wasn't the only one who thought so. She had been brought to tears more than once by Japanese who said she looked Chinese. While in Korea I also heard common references by Koreans speaking to me in English to "big-nosed Chinese," so they also have identified a "core" Chinese look.
Because I speak English so well, and I'm not a toothpick in build, many who meet me for the first time don't think that I'm Chinese. They guess Native American, Hawaiian, Eskimo and Korean. I also have long legs, and many Chinese have long torsos. In fact, I had a white female friend tell me that "it was criminal that my legs were so long". In the early 80's, I had a woman guess every Asian nationality, as I listened, I was thinking "just ask me if I am Japanese or Chinese". Instead, she was over-complicated her inquiry.

I've noticed that Korean women seem to have fuller figures, larger breasts...

Old 03-31-2016, 11:08 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,744,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, Oriental to Asians is what Negro is to African-Americans. You wouldn't refer to African-Americans as Negroes, would you?
Unless you are were born in Africa and who just got your citizenship, you are NOT "African American". You are "black".

Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,382,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
What about freedom of speech? What do you mean by "you should and shouldn't say"? The first amendment tells me I can say whatever I want.

Amendment I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...irst_amendment
And by the same rule, someone else can also tell you what they think of your words, too.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,744,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My 86 year old mother still uses the term chinaman. Swears it is not racist that it is just the term she has always used.

She must be watching those re-runs of "Kung Fu" on the H&I channel.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,746,170 times
Everything is bigoted.

To some.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,382,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
never understood the hysteria behind using the term oriental. it's much more precise than 'Asian.'
Look, it's just a dated term rather than racist. Context should be considered.

But if you're insisting on using that term after I've told you that it's not really all that appropriate, then you're just trying to be "non-PC" for the sake of stubbornness at the cost of consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.