Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:49 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,413,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
Why is race such a touchy subject?
Because this is the United States and hatred, bigotry, and scapegoating is imbedded deeply into the DNA of this country. We built our nation on it.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,062,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The nomenclature and brand is too old. There's no need to change it.

No one has to tell you. You already know what you should and shouldn't say unless you live under a rock.

Coloured is gonna get you nothing but headaches. What Oriental will get you is unknown to me, and that's between you and Asians to work out. But from what i know, it's not acceptable.

You already know "what's with that?"

I guess we must both live under a rock.........you had no clue what transpired with Vietnam vets........I had no clue negro was unacceptable...........negro is just the name of a race... same as caucasion

Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 8,000,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I guess we must both live under a rock.........you had no clue what transpired with Vietnam vets........I had no clue negro was unacceptable...........negro is just the name of a race... same as caucasion

That's right! I guess we should be offended when we are referred to as Caucasian. LOL!

Old 03-30-2016, 10:24 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,616,922 times
Quote:
No one has to tell you. You already know what you should and shouldn't say unless you live under a rock.
What about freedom of speech? What do you mean by "you should and shouldn't say"? The first amendment tells me I can say whatever I want.

Amendment I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...irst_amendment

Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Because this is the United States and hatred, bigotry, and scapegoating is imbedded deeply into the DNA of this country. We built our nation on it.
You are correct. We have the BLM movement...

BLM movement at a quick glance looks like "BoweL Movement".

Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
You already know "what's with that?"
I don't know "what's with that?" Are you referring to what happened to Detroit? Why did Detroit go downhill?

Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 PM

7,651 posts, read 10,030,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, Oriental to Asians is what Negro is to African-Americans. You wouldn't refer to African-Americans as Negroes, would you?
My grandmother did. I say black, unless someone really pisses me off. Most black americans are about as African as I am. Either you're an American or you're not. If you're not, go home.

And I don't see the big issue with oriental vs asian.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,994,230 times
"Colored" ain't "PC" but, "people of color" is?!

Funny how us white people have used that SAME word, "white", about our kind before any of us were ever born.

Hell: "Negro" is Spanish for "Black".

Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,328,018 times
Quote:
Might want to inform those Spanish speaking folks (and the publishers of books geared to teach school-aged children Spanish) that "negro" is not an acceptable word to use for the color black - in translation.

Su camera no es negro, su camera es blanco. Su camera es privilegio.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:57 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,413,345 times
Quote:
You've never called a black man in your life a negro to his face. You can play these internet games if you want to, but i know and YOU know what's acceptable and we both know what you will and won't say unless you're extremely sure of your company (meaning that i have no doubt that you use all kinds of racist language when you're around like minded people).

Don't front.
Quote:
What about freedom of speech? What do you mean by "you should and shouldn't say"? The first amendment tells me I can say whatever I want.

Amendment I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...irst_amendment
I have nothing to say about your freedom of speech. That's your business.
Quote:
You are correct. We have the BLM movement...

BLM movement at a quick glance looks like "BoweL Movement".
You're not hurting my feelings. I don't belong to the BLM movement.

Try someone else who cares.
Quote:
I don't know "what's with that?" Are you referring to what happened to Detroit? Why did Detroit go downhill?
I'm from Arizona. Ask someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies