Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:13 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,845,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Yes. Really. We know you're a homosexual from what you've posted about yourself and if you want to get "married" you can now. However, homosexual couples make for terrible parents and an even worse home life for children.

OK?

Sorry, dude. I'm a conservative and I have to disagree with you.

Now, if you want to talk about the super-crazy in-your-face types, I can possibly agree with that. Reference the thread about the 6-year old here on C-D. I really can't believe that just the act of being gay makes you a bad person or a bad parent. Do I agree with their lifestyle? Not necessarily. But to paint with that broad of a brush is wrong. Give a same-sex couple the same benefit of the doubt a hetero couple gets. Only if they screw up, then remove the child.

I still feel like there may be a few things we are missing here. We all know there is judicial activism, but why here? Why this case? Was this the first shot this judge got to do his bidding? Or is there something we don't know? I'll contend that none of us can make a fair judgment unless we sat in that courtroom and heard the proceedings.

As far as studies go, we all know those are often skewed towards the desired result. This argument needs to be put to bed until, as unlikely as it is, the transcripts can be read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 PM

31,089 posts, read 22,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Plenty of hetero foster parents are horrible...
There are some, but Gays and Lesbians are 5 time more likely to have an attempted suicide in their past then Heterosexuals. In my mind suicidal people aren't exactly stable and shouldn't be raising children.

Now, if the the couple is normal and have no evidence of an unstable history in their past I would say the judge is wrong

Suicide: Risk is higher in gay, lesbian teens - latimes

Old 11-12-2015, 06:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Yes. Really. We know you're a homosexual from what you've posted about yourself and if you want to get "married" you can now. However, homosexual couples make for terrible parents and an even worse home life for children.

OK?
No and I can imagine some who would make an even worse parent.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
There are some, but Gays and Lesbians are 5 time more likely to have an attempted suicide in their past then Heterosexuals. In my mind suicidal people aren't exactly stable and shouldn't be raising children.

Now, if the the couple is normal and have no evidence of an unstable history in their past I would say the judge is wrong

Suicide: Risk is higher in gay, lesbian teens - latimes
Do you suppose that has anything to do with being called names for years?

Old 11-12-2015, 06:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Well golly gee; we gotta make up a whole new list of who should be allowed to adopt based upon this possibility?

Top 11 Professions with Highest Suicide Rates

Suicide in the workplace: Which professions are high risk? - CBS News

Old 11-12-2015, 07:13 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,526,024 times
All over this judge's ruling? Wrong thread much?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,560,793 times
they will win the case on appeal and the judge will probably be disbarred.

it is not his job to legislate morality. he took a vow to uphold the law, not some random research. smh

this is far from over.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,440,274 times
Well the state agency in Utah supported the couple,as did the birth mother.Utah law allows gays to adopt,the couple already have adopted children.The republican governor is supporting the couple.

The judge based his decision on a belief that in general children should be raised be two straight parents.His ruling was not based on any issue regarding this specific couple,only on the 'type' of couple they are.

It would seem to me that since the couple has met the standards for adoption set by the state government and the state legislature,[in one of the most conservative,republican,religious states in the US],and is being supported by the appropriate state agencies and officials,and the birth mother, it should be obvious that this is a case of judicial activism at its worst.

Supporters of this judge should be careful what they wish for....Using similar reasoning a judge in Massachusetts might decide that in his/her opinion gay couples make better parents so all straight adoptions that come before him/her will be denied.A judge in Ca might feel that black children should only be raised by blacks and deny white adopters,even if there are no black adopters.A judge in NYC may decide that only atheists should be allowed to adopt children because she feels that religious indoctrination is tantamount to child abuse.

People need to look past their prejudices and always consider the 'law of unintended consequences' before high-fiveing some judge,legislating from the bench,who stuck it to some gays.If we allow judges to enact legislation from the bench,[and unfortunately it happens all too often],we can't complain when a judge sticks it to one of 'our' groups.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:48 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,560,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well the state agency in Utah supported the couple,as did the birth mother.Utah law allows gays to adopt,the couple already have adopted children.The republican governor is supporting the couple.

The judge based his decision on a belief that in general children should be raised be two straight parents.His ruling was not based on any issue regarding this specific couple,only on the 'type' of couple they are.

It would seem to me that since the couple has met the standards for adoption set by the state government and the state legislature,[in one of the most conservative,republican,religious states in the US],and is being supported by the appropriate state agencies and officials,and the birth mother, it should be obvious that this is a case of judicial activism at its worst.

Supporters of this judge should be careful what they wish for....Using similar reasoning a judge in Massachusetts might decide that in his/her opinion gay couples make better parents so all straight adoptions that come before him/her will be denied.A judge in Ca might feel that black children should only be raised by blacks and deny white adopters,even if there are no black adopters.A judge in NYC may decide that only atheists should be allowed to adopt children because she feels that religious indoctrination is tantamount to child abuse.

People need to look past their prejudices and always consider the 'law of unintended consequences' before high-fiveing some judge,legislating from the bench,who stuck it to some gays.If we allow judges to enact legislation from the bench,[and unfortunately it happens all too often],we can't complain when a judge sticks it to one of 'our' groups.
very good points. you win the thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,965,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Good. Child will be safe in a normal sane traditional home now with a mom and a dad. Good job judge!
Disagree.

Many - MANY - heterosexual couples are insane, dysfunctional, harmful environments whether they are "traditional" or not. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with it.

Gay and lesbian couples are capable of creating healthy nurturing homes for children.

This decision is being appealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies