Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Stop equating these products, these are treats people will eat, some more than others. Tobacco is a dangerous product, to equate soda, candy, cookies with all tobacco is ludicrous.

I knew the right wing will be outraged, as long as business is selling that is all that matters.

Please shut up people, CVS is a business and it chose not to sell tobacco! I thought all you right wing wackos were for business rights, huh? Relax, at least the "Marxist Muslim" president did not force them to do it!

CVS said they want to become a healthcare provider.
If that is the case then they should reflect healthy choices in their merchandise for sale as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
Stop equating these products, these are treats people will eat, some more than others. Tobacco is a dangerous product, to equate soda, candy, cookies with all tobacco is ludicrous.

Please educate yourself on food, nutrition, and what is really killing people in this country.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,875,298 times
Quote:

I knew the right wing will be outraged, as long as business is selling that is all that matters.

Please shut up people, CVS is a business and it chose not to sell tobacco! I thought all you right wing wackos were for business rights, huh? Relax, at least the "Marxist Muslim" president did not force them to do it!

If you don't understand the dangers of synthetic, processed, sugar-injected foods.........BigFood has you right where they want you.

Sugar is the tobacco of the 21st century. Somewhere, a group of trial lawyers are dissecting the BigTobacco case, and are figuring out how to apply it to BigFood/BigSugar.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,688,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobaccoActivist View Post
I find it absurd how Western countries have increasingly draconian attitudes towards tobacco, yet are becoming increasingly liberal towards marijuana.

How does that make any sense?

It is not entirely unthinkable that there will come a point where it is considered more socially acceptable to smoke marijuana than tobacco.

The left want to heavily regulate tobacco yet at the same time support the legalisation of marijuana.

And the right want any business to profit as long as business is profiting, no matter what type of dangerous product like tobacco or shady, predatory business like for profit colleges, etc.

As long as business is profiting. Listen CVS is a business and it has the right to decide what to do, I thought you right wingers defended business. Why so concerned for tobacco industry?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,688,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
If you don't understand the dangers of synthetic, processed, sugar-injected foods.........BigFood has you right where they want you.

Sugar is the tobacco of the 21st century. Somewhere, a group of trial lawyers are dissecting the BigTobacco case, and are figuring out how to apply it to BigFood/BigSugar.

No I understand, in fact I have cut back on soda intake. Just like school districts have every right to ditch junk food, CVS can choose to ditch tobacco. It is not a big deal, and you should not worry about it.

Sugar is dangerous, but junk food is not the level of cigarettes, to say so is dishonest.

Shop lifting is a crime and those who commit it get lighter sentences. By your logic, murder sentences should get the same time in jail. Not everything is equal.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM

17,655 posts, read 17,769,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There was a time when the idea of a 'pharmacy' selling cigs sounded weird, but I think of CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid as expensive super-convenience stores or mini-supermarkets that also have a pharmacy somewhere in the back.
At one time doctors told patients to smoke, some doctors blew tobacco smoke into wounds, and even today it is still acceptable home remedy to use tobacco and salva for wasp stings.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Quote:
No I understand, in fact I have cut back on soda intake. Just like school districts have every right to ditch junk food, CVS can choose to ditch tobacco. It is not a big deal, and you should not worry about it.

Sugar is dangerous, but junk food is not the level of cigarettes, to say so is dishonest.

Shop lifting is a crime and those who commit it get lighter sentences. By your logic, murder sentences should get the same time in jail. Not everything is equal.
Only 19% of Americans smoke (2011 was last government report).
34% of American adults are obese.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,218,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
CVS sure does in my area.
Liquor (not beer and wine)? Whisky and tequila?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,875,298 times
Quote:

You need to gain a much deeper understanding of the relationship between health and nutrition. And no, nutrition is not sold in a plastic bag at CVS.

I'm not worried about CVS ditching tobacco. I'm a shareholder, and that decision by CVS does not concern me in the least. I'm also not a smoker, so whether tobacco is in the store or not is irrelevant.

Sugar and junk food have contributed to MORE health problems nationwide than cigarettes. There are far more consumers of garbage -- you yourself own up to "cutting back on soda" -- than there are smokers in the U.S. You don't need to be obese to suffer health complications due to poor nutrition.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,425,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only 19% of Americans smoke (2011 was last government report).
34% of American adults are obese.
True, HT. And 66% of Americans are either overweight or obese. We are a fat country.

Also, last statistics I read showed smoking and obesity with equal rates as causes of avoidable mortality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies