Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times

Advertisements

If the idea spreads and more and more stores stop selling them, the day may come when the only place to buy cigarettes is a Native American Nation (aka Indian reservation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the end though they are a drug store, not a healthcare provider.
They don't employ doctors.

They fill prescriptions and are allowed to give certain shots.
They do in my neck of the woods. CVS has in-store clinics that employ nurse practitioners and see patients for most ailments, physicals, shots, etc. So does Safeway and other grocers.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:

Walgreens is already starting to roll out ther Med clinic model...maybe CVS is going to follow suit.

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/pharm...r-services.jsp

Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
Quote:

They dispense.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Smoking is down compared to what? The number of people who smoke has flatlined (haha) in the past decade or so:

Let's give CVS their due for making the right choice here and not berate them for not being as perfect as you seem to think they should be.
Your chart ends in 2006. Smoking has declined since then and is down to around 18%.. Obesity is a much bigger problem at this point.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 4,557 times
I find it absurd how Western countries have increasingly draconian attitudes towards tobacco, yet are becoming increasingly liberal towards marijuana.

How does that make any sense?

It is not entirely unthinkable that there will come a point where it is considered more socially acceptable to smoke marijuana than tobacco.

The left want to heavily regulate tobacco yet at the same time support the legalisation of marijuana.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It makes sense? Not to me. Cigarettes are a legal product that draw customers to buy other products from the company while they are there to get cigarettes. Do you also advocate CVS quit selling prescription pain meds or their numerous shelves of junk food because they have the potential to be abused? Do you support grocery stores putting limits on ice cream purchases or should stop selling alcohol?

If I was a shareholder in CVS, I would sell my stock.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Your premise appears to be that because a product is not illegal, it should be sold in stores everywhere. I can't sign on to that theory at all.

Besides. It's a bit ironic that someone who retrieves high blood pressure medication can also grab a pack of cigarettes on their way out the door. It's kind of like expecting to be able to buy a Holy Bible at the XXX Store. Just doesn't compute.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Walgreens is already starting to roll out ther Med clinic model...maybe CVS is going to follow suit.

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/pharm...r-services.jsp
That's interesting news.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Your premise appears to be that because a product is not illegal, it should be sold in stores everywhere. I can't sign on to that theory at all.

Besides. It's a bit ironic that someone who retrieves high blood pressure medication can also grab a pack of cigarettes on their way out the door. Doesn't really make much sense to me.
CVS is also somewhat of a convenience store in many areas. Many have grocery items, snow shovels, small clothing items, etc. The one I go to (to pick up cigarettes) in Ocean City, MD likely makes very little on prescriptions (too inconvenient for the residents) but cleans up on beach related items as well as food.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Your premise appears to be that because a product is not illegal, it should be sold in stores everywhere. I can't sign on to that theory at all. It's kind of like expecting to be able to buy a Holy Bible at the XXX Store. Just doesn't compute.

Besides. It's a bit ironic that someone who retrieves high blood pressure medication can also grab a pack of cigarettes on their way out the door. Doesn't really make much sense to me.
Grab some wine, packages of candy, carton of cigarettes etc. is pretty much anywhere now, not just CVS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies