Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And it sounded like they are still struggling to come up with something to replace that and still generate that kind of revenue.

They want to become a "health care provider" is what executives said.
They better get rid of all that candy and soda as well then.
They very well could get rid of those someday. However, I think you know the difference between sugar and tobacco, in terms of health impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
They very well could get rid of those someday. However, I think you know the difference between sugar and tobacco, in terms of health impact.
If you want to turn into a health care provider then you clear it all out.
Smoking is down big time if you look at the stats.
Obesity is the bigger worry today.

Look at the whole picture here.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you want to turn into a health care provider then you clear it all out.
Smoking is down big time if you look at the stats.
Obesity is the bigger worry today.

Look at the whole picture here.
Smoking is down compared to what? The number of people who smoke has flatlined (haha) in the past decade or so:

Let's give CVS their due for making the right choice here and not berate them for not being as perfect as you seem to think they should be.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And not screw up my prescriptions 3 out of every 5 times. I'd changed but unfortunately my insurer has a supplier agreement with them so I and about 15000 other people are stuck.
Try to switch to mail-order so it comes direct to your door (if you can)

I'm having the same problems with CVS, call ahead for prescription pick-up at 5PM...show up at 5:45PM...it's not ready.

They fudge up all the time....

Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
In all my years of smoking, I never bought cigs at a drug store.

If they're going to stop selling all tobacco products, what about nicotine products? How about those ridiculous nicotine patches?

Vape shops are popping up everywhere, and both ecigs and real cigs are available online. No biggie, imo. Cigs aren't illegal (yet). It's their loss.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I'm having the same problems with CVS, call ahead for prescription pick-up at 5PM...show up at 5:45PM...it's not ready.

I've used my local supermarket's pharmacy in the past.
And I have gone to Walgreen's when it's after hours and they had the prescription all done and ready to go.

Never used CVS though as I had no problems with the ones I do use.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I have never had a problem getting my prescriptions with CVS. I will say thought, they remodeled their store, the one I go to, a few years ago & it looks like crap. Anyway, on this topic, not a big deal. There are a multitude of places that people can buy cigs from: Walgreens, bodegas, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc. It's not like there is a shortage of places that sell tobacco products.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Conservatives don't have a problem with this because it's a private business' choice, much like when so many private businesses banned smoking. Liberals didn't think this went far enough and demanded the government ban smoking. People thought I was crazy when 15 years ago I said the government would move to ban smoking in bars, nightclubs, and homes. They now ban smoking in city parks, beaches, outdoor sidewalks, and homes. Thank you big government liberals.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I have never had a problem getting my prescriptions with CVS. I will say thought, they remodeled their store, the one I go to, a few years ago & it looks like crap. Anyway, on this topic, not a big deal. There are a multitude of places that people can buy cigs from: Walgreens, bodegas, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc. It's not like there is a shortage of places that sell tobacco products.
That's right. It's the $2 billion in revenue they need to worry about replacing.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Makes sense to stop selling cigarettes. However, I'm sure investors are not exactly happy that the company is foregoing $2B in annual revenues.
It makes sense? Not to me. Cigarettes are a legal product that draw customers to buy other products from the company while they are there to get cigarettes. Do you also advocate CVS quit selling prescription pain meds or their numerous shelves of junk food because they have the potential to be abused? Do you support grocery stores putting limits on ice cream purchases or should stop selling alcohol?

If I was a shareholder in CVS, I would sell my stock.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-05-2014 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies