Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,481,390 times

Advertisements

Their business.

I'd be happy just to grow my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,636,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post

Sugar is dangerous, but junk food is not the level of cigarettes, to say so is dishonest.

It is worse, actually.

And guess who the soda companies are modeling their marketing strategies after...yup...big tobacco.

The contaminated, additive-filled nasty ass food in this country is killing more people than anything, cigs included.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 PM

8,014 posts, read 5,907,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is worse, actually.

And guess who the soda companies are modeling their marketing strategies after...yup...big tobacco.

The contaminated, additive-filled nasty ass food in this country is killing more people than anything, cigs included.
No question about that.

Anyone that ignores that fact does so at their own peril.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:15 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,044,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Do you stick your head into BBQ smoke and inhale deeply10 times (the average number of puffs a smoker gets per cigarette) and repeat that 20 or 30 times a day, every single day, the way a two to three pack a day smoker does with cigarettes?
FYI, there are 20 cigarettes in a pack. Therefore, a 2 pack per day smoker burns up 40 cigarettes per day. I have known many smokers who burned 2 packs per day, but only took one or two puffs from each cigarette. Also, not all puffs are inhaled deeply; many are rather shallow.
My step-father smoked and chewed (he lived to be nearly 90). My mother smoked, and often had 2 or more cigarettes burning in ashtrays in different rooms at the same time. (she lived to be nearly 80). I started smoking during a mortar attack in Vietnam in 1966, and smoked for 40 years.
I have an excellent idea of the the mechanics of smoking.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 840,051 times
Good on them. Seriously.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:53 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,945,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Makes sense to stop selling cigarettes.
It does? How? CVS is a pharmacy right? That means they sell medication right? Who buys medication most commonly? Sick people, unhealthy people, right? So in other words, if you are sick and unhealthy, that means you'll likely be buying medication, which is good for business. If you are healthy, you aren't buying meds, which is bad for business.

So how exactly does this make sense again? Answer: It doesn't. There is something we aren't being told about this decision by CVS pharmacy. Maybe their tobacco sales are being subsidized by some private anti-smoking organization or maybe they just aren't really selling many tobacco products anyway and figure they may as well get some good publicity out of deciding to stop selling them. Maybe they want to launch an ad campaign distinguishing themselves from other pharmacies. One thing I am sure of though is that CVS motives are not truly altruistic. No business just gives up 2B dollars, if you even believe that figure. it's a business move. First and foremost. If this would have negatively impacted business, they wouldn't have done it.

Think for yourself people, and don't be sheep.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-06-2014 at 05:14 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 AM

23,183 posts, read 26,343,351 times
Since I don't often go to a CVS, all I can do is shrug and say "Who cares, it's their business?" .

Unless you own stock and are concerned this might affect it negatively or that's the most convenient place for you and you've been buying your cigarettes there, why would you care?

The local Walgreen's here has the best cigarette prices around, BTW. Pretty competitive on liquor prices, too.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,170,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"CVS, the nation's second largest pharmacy chain, said Wednesday that it would stop selling all cigarettes and tobacco products nationwide by October, saying they have no place in a drugstore company that is trying to become more of a health-care provider.

The news is another blow to the $100 billion tobacco industry that is wrestling with slumping sales, rising taxes, widening smoking bans and a resurgence of public information campaigns highlighting the perils of smoking."

CVS to Stop Selling Cigarettes - WSJ.com

I wonder if they will sell marijuana when it becomes legal nationwide in the coming years...

Great, maybe now the lines will move faster.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 AM

5,442 posts, read 4,708,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I lost my grandfather to lung cancer, and my mom has had circulation problems for years, although she quit more than 15 years ago after her doctor warned her that amputation was likely unless she quit. I was a heavy second-hand smoker for my first fifteen years of life and can't wait for the day that smoking is banned everywhere.

In California, at least in the area I live, it's rare to see smokers now, and I still can't believe that 20% of the population still smokes. Who starts smoking these days? You'd have to be intellectually incapacitated.

I'm hoping ex-smokers will see CVS as a safe place to go without having to be tempted by cigarettes.

I just turned 27 and I wonder when I see all these people in my age group who still smoke, .

Who the hell smokes nowadays especially when you are young? I can understand some old timers who still smoke, but those in my age group really surprise me.

In 1964 more than half of men smoked, as did on third of women.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,183,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
FYI, there are 20 cigarettes in a pack. Therefore, a 2 pack per day smoker burns up 40 cigarettes per day. I have known many smokers who burned 2 packs per day, but only took one or two puffs from each cigarette. Also, not all puffs are inhaled deeply; many are rather shallow.
My step-father smoked and chewed (he lived to be nearly 90). My mother smoked, and often had 2 or more cigarettes burning in ashtrays in different rooms at the same time. (she lived to be nearly 80). I started smoking during a mortar attack in Vietnam in 1966, and smoked for 40 years.
I have an excellent idea of the the mechanics of smoking.
So why did you quit smoking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies