Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The effective tax rate of the wealthy is several times more than the effective tax rates of the middle and lower classes. How much more is enough?
I know people in both of the last 2 categories and they do not complain about taxes.

There were also a group of millionaires who marched on Washington to INCREASE their taxes.

Pretty contradictory to what your saying.

And if you make $100k+ like you claim, why are you complaining about taxes?? Can you not manage your money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM

275 posts, read 193,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I know people in both of the last 2 categories and they do not complain about taxes.

There were also a group of millionaires who marched on Washington to INCREASE their taxes.

And if you make $100k+ like you claim, why are you complaining about taxes?? Can you not manage your money?
Jealousy and Nativity lol. No wonder Obama won because he certainly didn't win on a good record.

And he might have made $100k but the true number is how much did he get to keep? Or don't you get that part?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:

If a millionaires wants to pay more in taxes what is stopping them from writing a check? Do you only ever do the legal minimum? Or are they just expressing that outrage to get naive people's support without actually paying more? Nothing is stopping them from declaring less deductions if they actually want their taxes to increase.

I am saying that the facts state that the upper classes pay more in taxes in terms of effective rates than any other income group, and the less money is being inherited by the top 1% today than ever before in the last 20 years. That isn't subjective, that is a simple numerical fact.

Why would I be OK paying more than my fair share just because I have a six figure salary? Do I use more resources from the government than other people? I want a fair tax rate, and I want less of my paycheck to go to federal taxes so I can make the choice to put it towards programs that actually help those in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
Jealousy and Nativity lol. No wonder Obama won because he certainly didn't win on a good record.

And he might have made $100k but the true number is how much did he get to keep? Or don't you get that part?
I worked 90ish hour weeks for years (on 40 hours/week salaries) to prove to companies that I deserved my six figure salary, and somehow that means I should be OK with a big chunk of that money going to people who didn't earn it. And he wonders why I am not OK with that...

Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
So you advocate bringing others down. Jealousy is also begrudging others that of which you wish you had. You do know that government won't make you rich?
That's bald obfuscation. Nobody can accuse Bill Gates of being jealous. Yet, he agrees with what I wrote.

What government has proven is that policy can be formed that grow middle class income growth. Below is the chart of share of pre-tax income since 1918. Notice how income inequality declined drastically from the late 1930s to the mid 1940s? That was because of government policies like the New Deal, high taxation on upper income, a generous minimum wage and promotion of unionization. Working Americans saw unprecedented gains during this period.

http://newshour.s3.amazonaws.com/pho...iness_desk.jpg

Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM

To spur the Economy, more money is going to have to circulate to the Middle and Lower classes.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Why would I be OK paying more than my fair share just because I have a six figure salary? Do I use more resources from the government than other people? I want a fair tax rate, and I want less of my paycheck to go to federal taxes so I can make the choice to put it towards programs that actually help those in need.
That is the part they refuse to understand. They actually think they hurt the uber rich. They are very naive and obviously bought obamas lie because they don't understand finance and taxes. It was way to easy for Obama to sell the lie because of their lack of knowledge.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
If a millionaires wants to pay more in taxes what is stopping them from writing a check? Do you only ever do the legal minimum? Or are they just expressing that outrage to get naive people's support without actually paying more? Nothing is stopping them from declaring less deductions if they actually want their taxes to increase.

I am saying that the facts state that the upper classes pay more in taxes in terms of effective rates than any other income group, and the less money is being inherited by the top 1% today than ever before in the last 20 years. That isn't subjective, that is a simple numerical fact.

Well seeing that they WERE advocating to pay more taxes your point is moot. Nobody is going to right a blank check to the government. Nobodies that stupid and that's not what we're talking about here at all.

What we're talking about is the tax rate.

I have no sympathy for you if you can't afford to live on what you make.

Why are others who are in your income bracket willing to pay their fair share but you are not? Do you believe your tax burden should be less?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Why don't multimillionaires and billionaires do charity work for the middle class? Do things like pay off school loans for them, get them out of credit card debt or just throw 100 grand at the struggling middle class families here and there. Really boost the economy!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Well seeing that they WERE advocating to pay more taxes your point is moot. Nobody is going to right a blank check to the government. Nobodies that stupid and that's not what we're talking about here at all.

What we're talking about is the tax rate.

I have no sympathy for you if you can't afford to live on what you make.

Why are others who are in your income bracket willing to pay their fair share but you are not? Do you believe your tax burden should be less?
Another wow. You seriously don't understand what he said do you. They don't even have to write a second check to pay more taxes. They know, people who understand taxes know it. They put on a show for people like you.

On other point Obama wants the treasury to write a blank check and his supporters call anyone trying to stop him names.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Buffett: Income inequality hurting economy - Video - Business News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies