Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Here's what you forgot about in your whining above. "Using the grueling two-hour test as the only basis for admissions creates a “rich-get-richer phenomenon,” because wealthy parents can afford expensive test preparations for their children, he said in a wide-ranging interview with the Daily News Editorial Board."

When you make a thread, you should at least show the other side's argument. The mayor does have a point. An expensive course from Kaplan, etc, makes a huge difference in the aggregate scores. Poor families can't afford it and thus it's quite likely that the best students aren't the ones that get in. Just the ones who can afford the most test prep.
And, as stated above, there are programs offered to the poor for test preparation at no cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
And, as stated above, there are programs offered to the poor for test preparation at no cost.
In fact NYC went out of their way to provide test prep programs specifically to the minorities to help them.
And it still didn't work.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM

23,586 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Ray Kelly has always known this would be his last year. Also stop and frisk has proven to be ineffective time and time again.
We'll see, won't we.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,166,623 times
One test cannot in any universe measure how capable a person is or possibly can be. If we went with single test measure of who will attend the best schools and get the best jobs, we would be a nation of bland cowards. Some pencil neck twit leading our military, law enforcement, Arts programs? As a nation we would soon be relegated to the significance of Bangladesh.

I would rather have a person who grew up living a more comprehensive existence leading me than some billygoat who did noting but study for a test and who's parents never even took them to a movie growing up. How the hell would someone like that be able to relate to regular people?

Other than that, the well rounded kids who get in are 9 times out of 10 from a wealthy family who where capable of affording tutors and test prep programs for their little ninny's.

You can equate this whole situation to race, but in reality it is a loaded meritocracy.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,166,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I think the new mayor is more concerned with his own children, rather than what is actually right.

The standardized tests measure what children should know, comprehend and be able to apply at that point of their school level (math, reading, writing, etc.).

The hell with after school sports and program participation...that does not apply on a real life job to a great extent. Maybe it teaches something about team work (but also about forming exclusionary cliques).

What is important in real life work situations are reading, writing, math and science (all that can be applied to technology, engineering and international trade). In my 30 years in business, I never heard of anyone being interested in someone else's after school activities...Perhaps a brief mention of it if they went to the same schools...but it never closed a deal or completed a project.
Behold the capitalist mantra.

Keep pushing this agenda and every important job out there will become automated.
That's just what we need. Brilliant.......

Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
One test cannot in any universe measure how capable a person is or possibly can be. If we went with single test measure of who will attend the best schools and get the best jobs, we would be a nation of bland cowards. Some pencil neck twit leading our military, law enforcement, Arts programs? As a nation we would soon be relegated to the significance of Bangladesh.

I would rather have a person who grew up living a more comprehensive existence leading me than some billygoat who did noting but study for a test and who's parents never even took them to a movie growing up. How the hell would someone like that be able to relate to regular people?

Other than that, the well rounded kids who get in are 9 times out of 10 from a wealthy family who where capable of affording tutors and test prep programs for their little ninny's.

You can equate this whole situation to race, but in reality it is a loaded meritocracy.
This is NYC. The wealthy send their kids to private school.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,760,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I think the new mayor is more concerned with his own children, rather than what is actually right.

The standardized tests measure what children should know, comprehend and be able to apply at that point of their school level (math, reading, writing, etc.).
Agreed! When I was in school, we had to take standardized tests every year, and the results of those tests was what determined whether we were accepted into honors or advanced-placement courses (or not). I certainly didn't come from a privileged background, and yet I always did well on those tests. If I could do it, why can't others do the same?

Seems like NYC's new mayor wants to undermine such a system, all in the name of political correctness.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,952,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Does that mean more white and Asian students get kicked out??
Daily Kos: NYC Mayor: Bill de Blasio (D), "Tests shouldn

Bill de Blasio vowed Wednesday to overhaul how children are chosen for New York City’s elite public high schools, saying the high-stakes admissions test should no longer be the only factor in the selection process.
Tackling an emotional issue for parents and schoolchildren across the city, the Democratic mayoral nominee blamed the reliance on the test for creating schools that he said did not reflect the city’s diversity.

Failed premiss. Before I answer your incorrect premiss, we have to acknowledge a fact.

Fact- at this moment, kids of all racial/ethinic makeup...including many white and Asian kids are not accepted to these elite schools. Let me say that again so we understand each other. White and Asian kids did not make the cut to be accepted to these schools.

Now, to say that White and Asian kids would be kicked out, means students would be asked to leave the program in order to make room for less qualified students. The Mayor is saying in the future all applicants will be chosen to attend based ...on grades and other factors.

No one will lose their position.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM

He wants these schools to reflect the demographics of the city.
60% of the city is minority and he wants these schools to be 60% minority students.

Now how he accomplishes that is yet to be seen.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,952,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He wants these schools to reflect the demographics of the city.
60% of the city is minority and he wants these schools to be 60% minority students.

Now how he accomplishes that is yet to be seen.
I'm sure he will have a more well thought out plan than a percent for percent quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies