Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,035,640 times

Advertisements

That crony mayor who thinks he is president just spent a cool million in my state CO to pass a new tax like he butted in with all his millions with the gun bans.He lost this time.It should be against the law for NYC Mayors to run states like CO with all their money.That is part of the reason amendment 66 lost the Mayor of NYC is trying to run our state with his NY $$$$$$$$$$$ that's BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're well into that phase. Recall articles of graduates suing the college because they can't find a job ?
The sad fact is that American idiocracy is borne of an era where any moron could stumble out of highschool and live a good lifestyle.

That's dead. My uncles were making 100k a year working in the steel mill (todays dollars) it's closed now.

So, you have a whole bunch of people that EXPECTED to coast into their parents lifestyle.....and hit a brick wall....while being sold a pile of sh*t that studying and being good in school was a NEGATIVE thing because that meant you were a nerd, a dweeb etc.

I look back and actually feel sorry for those that bought into that. They are the ones telling their kids today to study hard, get good jobs etc.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,035,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The sad fact is that American idiocracy is borne of an era where any moron could stumble out of highschool and live a good lifestyle.

That's dead. My uncles were making 100k a year working in the steel mill (todays dollars) it's closed now.

So, you have a whole bunch of people that EXPECTED to coast into their parents lifestyle.....and hit a brick wall....while being sold a pile of sh*t that studying and being good in school was a NEGATIVE thing because that meant you were a nerd, a dweeb etc.

I look back and actually feel sorry for those that bought into that. They are the ones telling their kids today to study hard, get good jobs etc.
Can't beg borrow or steal a good Carpenter where I'm at. The Obama Mexicans are still a generation or two from replacing us.Booked through 2014 even putting off my SS making too much money to mess with chicken feed.Life is good and no student loans or corporate regs.If I don't like a job I roll up and walk,your loss get used to it.Trades are the future can't be exported small loss to obamas illegals but they can't hang crown or trim our much needed new courthouses to prosecute us for daring to be alive.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,123 times
Default ....and????

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
DeBlasio's son goes to Brooklyn Tech one of the selective schools in question
Which means what?

Are your intimately familiar with got him into the school?...Did who his father is have anything to do with it?...Was it solely based on the math, science and reading comprehension?

Perhaps so...

But do keep in mind that my point was he being a father of part minority children would certainly influence his feelings about it all.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:03 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Can't beg borrow or steal a good Carpenter where I'm at. The Obama Mexicans are still a generation or two from replacing us.Booked through 2014 even putting off my SS making too much money to mess with chicken feed.Life is good and no student loans or corporate regs.If I don't like a job I roll up and walk,your loss get used to it.Trades are the future can't be exported small loss to obamas illegals but they can't hang crown or trim our much needed new courthouses to prosecute us for daring to be alive.
I 100% agree with you.

The skill doesn't have to be math, chemistry etc.

The whole point is that the easy path isn't there anymore.

Would you be any less insulted than myself that any moron off the street could learn your skills in 2 weeks?

Imagine trying to enter carpentry school.....but not knowing what a jigsaw was?

That's what this mayor is trying to do.

Anyone learning the trades, like many of my relatives, is learning a valuable skill.
What we have here is people disrespecting things like math and science as unimportant building blocks to scientific fields.....and then crying racism.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:31 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,160,173 times
Quote:
Depends on the field bud. You can't seem to grasp the difference between creativity and raw intelligence, education etc.

lol....Oh, I get genius...I'm not some kid with no life perspective.

Now tell me, what sort of school are these kids trying to get into? Is it a school for the performing arts? Is it west point? Do tell?

If you want to be an engineer then test scores are HUGE. If you want to be a concert pianist, a football player, an entertainer or a salesman? Not so much.

See, these schools focus on core ability which correlates highly to the hard sciences but not at all to many other fields.

Again, tell me what sort of school these kids are trying to test into?

LOL....I can only imagine some kid with perfect SAT's trying to test into a high end music program while their only skill is playing the bongos.
That's your argument in a nutshell, but then again you probably didn't pay attention to the thread.

Try to audition for Sat. Night Live by telling them your knowledge of calculus.

Try to make the NY Giants by showing them your PHD in partical physics.

Now try to get into a math science magnet school on wit, charm, humor and creativity.

And there is the end game. You've been making the right arguments about the value of creativity and other skills.....against the wrong admission point. Since you consider me of average intelligence, perhaps you should go complain that NFL combines don't measure your singing ability or calculus abilities?
1.1 Bronx High School of Science
1.2 Brooklyn Latin School
1.3 Brooklyn Technical High School
1.4 Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts
1.5 High School for Math, Science and Engineering at City College
1.6 High School of American Studies at Lehman College
1.7 Queens High School for the Sciences at York College
1.8 Staten Island Technical High School
1.9 Stuyvesant High School

You realize you just made my point. One standard test for all the above schools. Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. What kind of career path's do you suppose kids going here are interested in?

Quote:
See, these schools focus on core ability which correlates highly to the hard sciences but not at all to many other fields.
Sort of lazy of you to not fact check your own attempts to enlighten us. That's not hard work. I really don't need to sit here and listen to half witted attempts to school me. So you see, the utter reality of this exchange actually reinforces your own notions, that we are walking down the road to idiocracy.

I would take a Doctor from a B school who has social skills over some poker faced Yu Gi Oh fan who doesn't understand the intricate dance of balancing hard knowledge as well as how to deal with the human soul. You can ace tests all day long and it doesn't mean you have the brilliant imagination to actually extrapolate that knowledge into other useful areas. Why do you suppose the Chinese have to steal all their ideas from us? That nation is filled to the rafters with fantastic number crunching people who would do very well on single tests. Why nothing new out of China in the technology industry?

A multi billion dollar nuclear Aircraft carrier with all it's technological wonder equates to nothing without it's crew. That is my argument in a nutshell, since your curious...

Yes there should be a test, but there should be other qualifying criteria as well. This includes life experience.

BTW, the taxes that basketball player is paying, helps fund science and technology projects. That player is providing a service that is deemed valuable by our society and is duly compensated for it, so get over it. Is it fair that diamonds are valuable (their freaking rocks)? If Asians want to play basketball, then they should work, work, work like their noted for doing, to get in. There are short basketball players. The sport is rooted in geometry, right.? So what's the problem?

Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Just another way way for substandard children to take the place of kids who work hard, all because the kids who work hard are not the correct race. This country is circling the drain, and it deserve the dizziness.
This statement smells of lazy. Are you sure you know which side you belong on?

O.K. here it is...

Western elites want semi-field slaves from Latin America to wash dishes at overpriced restaurants. They also want semi-house slaves from Asia. All this equals profits. They don't care what you think. All they have to tell you is the Gays are coming to rape you and the Obama darky army is coming to steal your daughter, and you'll support them. All the while, you are the one circling the drain to obscurity, not America. I served for this country and believe me, it continues to stand tall.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I 100% agree with you.

The skill doesn't have to be math, chemistry etc.

The whole point is that the easy path isn't there anymore.

Would you be any less insulted than myself that any moron off the street could learn your skills in 2 weeks?

Imagine trying to enter carpentry school.....but not knowing what a jigsaw was?

That's what this mayor is trying to do.

Anyone learning the trades, like many of my relatives, is learning a valuable skill.
What we have here is people disrespecting things like math and science as unimportant building blocks to scientific fields.....and then crying racism.
Teacher is getting tired here. Your racist rhetoric does not even acknowledge the fact that a lot of Black and Hispanic kids take the test. That doesn't mean they failed it. They might have missed the mark by a small amount, although they are truly brilliant.

Put the jigsaw puzzle together first before showing your work. Laziness again. Is there a pattern going on here?

Old 11-09-2013, 04:17 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
1.1 Bronx High School of Science
1.2 Brooklyn Latin School
1.3 Brooklyn Technical High School
1.4 Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts
1.5 High School for Math, Science and Engineering at City College
1.6 High School of American Studies at Lehman College
1.7 Queens High School for the Sciences at York College
1.8 Staten Island Technical High School
1.9 Stuyvesant High School

You realize you just made my point. One standard test for all the above schools. Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. What kind of career path's do you suppose kids going here are interested in?

Sort of lazy of you to not fact check your own attempts to enlighten us. That's not hard work. I really don't need to sit here and listen to half witted attempts to school me. So you see, the utter reality of this exchange actually reinforces your own notions, that we are walking down the road to idiocracy.

I would take a Doctor from a B school who has social skills over some poker faced Yu Gi Oh fan who doesn't understand the intricate dance of balancing hard knowledge as well as how to deal with the human soul. You can ace tests all day long and it doesn't mean you have the brilliant imagination to actually extrapolate that knowledge into other useful areas. Why do you suppose the Chinese have to steal all their ideas from us? That nation is filled to the rafters with fantastic number crunching people who would do very well on single tests. Why nothing new out of China in the technology industry?

A multi billion dollar nuclear Aircraft carrier with all it's technological wonder equates to nothing without it's crew. That is my argument in a nutshell, since your curious...

Yes there should be a test, but there should be other qualifying criteria as well. This includes life experience.

BTW, the taxes that basketball player is paying, helps fund science and technology projects. That player is providing a service that is deemed valuable by our society and is duly compensated for it, so get over it. Is it fair that diamonds are valuable (their freaking rocks)? If Asians want to play basketball, then they should work, work, work like their noted for doing, to get in. There are short basketball players. The sport is rooted in geometry, right.? So what's the problem?
The performance art schools do not use the tests for admissions they use auditions.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:20 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
I like what NYC has done, it gives an out for families who would otherwise be stuck with crappy schools. Other jurisdictions should do this more .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies