Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy214321 View Post
Ivy league universities and their sister schools, all use standardized testing, in addition to other factors such as GPA, class ranking, extra curricular activities, recommendations and personal statements written by the students. They also consider socioeconomic backgrounds when making admission decisions. Although they consistently use the aforementioned factors, in addition to standardized testing; they still consistently produce the best and brightest students and function as the pillar and crowning jewel of academia throughout the world.

Low income minority students who are often reared in single parent or foster care homes do not usually have the same support systems in place as upper income students. But this doesn't mean there aren't students from low income single-parent backgrounds who have the drive and ability to achieve. In my opinion, all students should have an equal chance of admission, therefore, the elite schools of NYC should take a more nuanced approach to their admissions policy. Standardized testing should still be used, but they should also consider prior academic achievement, admission essays, recommendations, extra curricular activities and interviews.
Ivies are private institutions if they want to admit the bottom quintile of SAT test takers they are free to do so. NYC is a public entity and has set up very selective schools. They have to base admission on the fairest factors available. Race isn't a fair factor. Testing is fair. Now an individuals performance on a test maybe influenced by unfair external factors but that doesn't mean the test itself is unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM

78,487 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
thats your belief, de blasio hasnt said that.
BS, he want's to change the criteria so that more blacks and latinos and fewer asians are admitted to the school.

There has been an NAACP lawsuit over this as well.

Here is reality in the US:

Kid A spends 20 hours a week honing his basketball skills, they make the varsity team, get a college scholarship for basketball etc. They "deserved" their success even though the basketball team is absolutely not representative of the ethnicity of the student body.

Kid B spends 20 hours a week doing extra math, taking enrichment courses, reading etc. Oh wait, thier test scores are UNFAIR because um....we don't have the right ethnic mix.

Sorry folks, if they are going to do something like this then they need to start putting racial quotas on all the NYC highschool sports teams as well.

P.S. You can get crappy scores yet decent grades when you take softer classes, are surrounded by medicore to poor students or are in an environment of grade inflation where just putting in the time will guarantee a B.
Show me a kid with bad test scores doing well in a legit AP Calc class and I will saddle up my pet unicorn and let you ride him around.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So if I was born in a middle class Asian family and my parents encourage me to work hard, I should be punished?
I need to have a single mom or abused childhood to be admitted?
No, your background won't matter, they just want to fix the results for ethnicity.

Because if you are good at sports, it took a lot of drive determination and hard work.

If you are good academically, you just got lucky to be born smart.

I need to file a lawsuit against the NFL for not having enough asians in it.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
People not following the nyc race closely may not grasp the true intent of this. I'm not turning this into liberal vs. conservative, etc. but this guy is soooo far to the left, it's not funny. Nyc is already the highest taxed place in the country. He wants to raise taxes on 'wealthy' to fund daycare, etc. throw stop and frisk out the window and get rid of ray Kelly, the current police commissioner.

Come to think of it, isn't it racist to charge admission for private schools? Think bill should look into this as well.
I don't see a problem with this.................

Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No, your background won't matter, they just want to fix the results for ethnicity.

Because if you are good at sports, it took a lot of drive determination and hard work.

If you are good academically, you just got lucky to be born smart.

I need to file a lawsuit against the NFL for not having enough asians in it.
Good luck with that. It's not the players or the public who would object to that - it's the owners who'd make sure that your concerns would never see the light of day. And guess who the owners are?

Only one of 32 NFL owners is not white, and he's also not black or Latino.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry schools are not putting less weight on test scores. The greatest signal of academic rigor, quality and competitiveness is the SAT mean or range for a school. Admission officers will not jeopardize that for diversity I don't care what they say in public.

You're from GA you know first hand how UGA's profile has increased as the average SAT score increased mainly because of the HOPE Scholarship.
Honestly, I am not all the up to speed on UGA or how they have increased since HOPE started. I thin that HOPE along with the Pre-K program was intended to bring up the whole state's rankings in education and I do think that both have succeeded in their own unique fashion.

In regards to SAT, I agree it is a factor, but studies have now shown that it is not the primary factor in regards to "success" in college.

I know people around here like to go on and on about racial stereotyping, especially in regards to black youths and sports, but if you have a kid who is really involved in community service, or who owns their on business or who works and supports a younger sibling but they also have a 4.20 and has a 1400 SAT score compared to a kid with nothing else but a 4.65 and a 1800 SAT then schools will look at the kid with the 4.20 and 1400 because that kid is more well rounded and "diverse" no matter their ethnicity.

People fail to realize that diversity in the academic realm is not about black and Hispanic, especially not for top colleges/universities. Someone is diverse if they are the first generation of their family who goes to college for instance.

In regards to NYC, like I stated before, there are more than 3 elite schools and there are even good schools that top minority students can go to that are not in those top 8. I personally feel, just from doing a bit of research into NYC selective enrollment schools, that the so-called "low amount of black and Hispanic students" is really a sham considering that many black and Hispanic students in NYC, if they do well in middle school can get scholarships to top private and boarding schools and many go this route versus going to the elite public schools. Also, like I mentioned earlier, the top 3 schools are not as diverse and so the families of those students and the students themselves may want to go to a school that has more of a representation of them versus those top 3 who have lower amounts of black or Hispanics, due to the comfort factor.

I also don't fault the NAACP in their investigation/lawsuit into the NYPS selective enrollment process. I mentioned in another thread a long time ago that NYC is basically a "majority minority" city and that the black and Hispanics in NYC based on their numbers should have more representations. Also that in regards to black students, many of them are not black Americans and are children of immigrants who usually do better on standardized testing than black Americans so something does seem fishy with that scenario when you compare the rate of black students especially with Chicago who also bases their selective enrollments on standardized test. Contrary to what people believe, Chicago is not majority black but a large percentage of their selective enrollment students are black Americans and they have some of the best high schools in the country there.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
That's only because Communists and the devil have taken over higher education.

How you perform in one day is enough, no need to look at your work for 4 years.

The same can be said of Barack Obama.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I am not all the up to speed on UGA or how they have increased since HOPE started. I thin that HOPE along with the Pre-K program was intended to bring up the whole state's rankings in education and I do think that both have succeeded in their own unique fashion.

In regards to SAT, I agree it is a factor, but studies have now shown that it is not the primary factor in regards to "success" in college.

I know people around here like to go on and on about racial stereotyping, especially in regards to black youths and sports, but if you have a kid who is really involved in community service, or who owns their on business or who works and supports a younger sibling but they also have a 4.20 and has a 1400 SAT score compared to a kid with nothing else but a 4.65 and a 1800 SAT then schools will look at the kid with the 4.20 and 1400 because that kid is more well rounded and "diverse" no matter their ethnicity.

People fail to realize that diversity in the academic realm is not about black and Hispanic, especially not for top colleges/universities. Someone is diverse if they are the first generation of their family who goes to college for instance.

In regards to NYC, like I stated before, there are more than 3 elite schools and there are even good schools that top minority students can go to that are not in those top 8. I personally feel, just from doing a bit of research into NYC selective enrollment schools, that the so-called "low amount of black and Hispanic students" is really a sham considering that many black and Hispanic students in NYC, if they do well in middle school can get scholarships to top private and boarding schools and many go this route versus going to the elite public schools.
Also, like I mentioned earlier, the top 3 schools are not as diverse and so the families of those students and the students themselves may want to go to a school that has more of a representation of them versus those top 3 who have lower amounts of black or Hispanics, due to the comfort factor.

I also don't fault the NAACP in their investigation/lawsuit into the NYPS selective enrollment process. I mentioned in another thread a long time ago that NYC is basically a "majority minority" city and that the black and Hispanics in NYC based on their numbers should have more representations. Also that in regards to black students, many of them are not black Americans and are children of immigrants who usually do better on standardized testing than black Americans so something does seem fishy with that scenario when you compare the rate of black students especially with Chicago who also bases their selective enrollments on standardized test. Contrary to what people believe, Chicago is not majority black but a large percentage of their selective enrollment students are black Americans and they have some of the best high schools in the country there.
This is a good point but I wonder how many Black students who would have been qualified for elite NYC schools end up going elsewhere?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,887,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Uh, no it means other factors like grades and class rank should be taken in consideration.
Let's be realistic when a far-left politician in NYC attacks the admittance practices of the selective schools in NYC, which have been extremely successful and are some of the best in America private or public, it's not because they think that they can do a better job at picking out high caliber students than the status quo, it's about pushing out Asians (~72% at Stuyvesant for example) to make room for Blacks and Hispanics, meritocracy, results, and fair play be ****ed.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM

Basically, you have a guy demeaning the hard academic work and acheivement that these kids put in to get where they are because he doesn't like the distribution of skin color of the students.

Because these kids must just sit around playing xbox, working on their cross-over dribbles etc. and then show up and magically score higher because the tests are biased towards asians.....

What a complete load of horse crap. This is nothing short of racism. The NAACP in particular should be ashamed of themselves for trying to use lawsuits and political pressure to force out the kids that worked harder on their academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies