Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times

Advertisements

It depends what the crime was.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
I would say a good number of those "criminals" were not involve a crime, just an arrest and release, but they end up having a criminal record.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The What if game? In the military we called that a blivot. 10 pounds of BS in a 5 pound sack.
The fact is that those who didn't commit crimes earned a higher status than those who felt that victimizing others is acceptable.
Robbing a store wasn't an accident or a brief lapse in judgment. Raping the neighbors wife wasn't an oops moment. Selling meth, crack or heroine to high school kids wasn't a mistake or a minor error in judgment.
These criminals cared not a thing for their victims. They have earned the life that awaits them, it is not punitive. It is the end result of their decision making.
I never said "go and commit crimes". I'm saying this. What do we do with the criminals who are coming back from prison? Now with the rapist, well, keep a rapist locked up for life. But for drug dealers, and other criminals, what do we do with them? They will be coming back to society. Said persons do have to do something. What do you propose we do with those who are terminally unemployable? If you truly feel that once a person has committed a crime, said person doesn't deserve to ever work again, what do you propose we do with the terminally unemployable after the prison term is up?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I would say a good number of those "criminals" were not involve a crime, just an arrest and release, but they end up having a criminal record.
Kinda like bagging and tagging people.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ironic that the RWNJ fringe, who commonly call themselves Christian, are the first ones to judge a book by its cover, to hold grudges, and to not forgive. They are nothing but modern day Philistines.
lol.

You poor thing.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
BofA is run by criminals. Kind of debunks that premise...

Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
BofA is run by criminals. Kind of debunks that premise...
Provide their names and the laws they broke.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Your choice. But to consider this. If it was you that had the criminal record, and you needed a job, wouldn't you want someone to give you a job? Or would you be willing to spend the rest of your life unemployed?
It's interesting being a helpless victim are the only options you see. If no one will hire them some people might take that opportunity to start their own business, become self employed and not dependent on someone giving them a job or giving them unemployment.

Would I hire someone with a criminal record? Where I work it would automatically disqualify them, so it wouldn't be up to me. If I made the policy decisions it would depend on the crime, and when it happened. Arrested for pot 25 years ago? Not that big a deal. Convicted of rape and now out of prison? Not a chance, ever. He can go work for some "everyone deserves a second chance" person.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Then feel free to hire a pot smoking old hippy to manage your money.

As for me, I have a simple rule: Those that don't follow the rules, don't hold my money. Duhh. If you chose to be criminal, then you don't get to be in financial services. Duhh. It's nothing but rational policy.
I wouldn't hire someone who keeps saying "Duhh." It makes one sound mentally challenged. Not good for business.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 PM

128 posts, read 233,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
When I lived in the U.S. I can and did hire an individual with a criminal record. This person served several years in a federal prison for sex crimes. He did his time and I was happy to give him a chance. Throughout the term of his employment (I left to return to Canada), he was exemplary in his work. He continues to be employed there and from what I hear, is still a great employee.

Everyone needs a second chance.
It really depends on what industry you are in. I'm a licensed customs broker working for a company licensed as a customs broker. I would not have been able to get my license from CBP if I had a criminal background. If you're convicted of a felony (ANY type of felony), your license is yanked. We are forbidden by federal law from hiring convicted felons. Doesn't matter what the felony conviction was for. If we break that law and CBP discovers it, we're looking at thousands of dollars in fines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.