Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Is this some kind of problem?

There's lot of unemployed people in the world, and oddly enough, resumes count for little, in terms of competence.
Have you been keeping up the past 10 years??

Some in this country break laws and rules with impunity. Others are crucified for petty, non-violent offenses that hurt no one.

Which is worse? Someone who smokes marijuana or someone who steals millions?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM

We should drug test all professional jobs and hand out punishment for anyone who fails. We should start with lawyers, politicians, and the Financial Industry.

Would be the quickest way to end the drug war.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Your choice. But to consider this. If it was you that had the criminal record, and you needed a job, wouldn't you want someone to give you a job? Or would you be willing to spend the rest of your life unemployed?
The What if game? In the military we called that a blivot. 10 pounds of BS in a 5 pound sack.
The fact is that those who didn't commit crimes earned a higher status than those who felt that victimizing others is acceptable.
Robbing a store wasn't an accident or a brief lapse in judgment. Raping the neighbors wife wasn't an oops moment. Selling meth, crack or heroine to high school kids wasn't a mistake or a minor error in judgment.
These criminals cared not a thing for their victims. They have earned the life that awaits them, it is not punitive. It is the end result of their decision making.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We should drug test all professional jobs and hand out punishment for anyone who fails. We should start with lawyers, politicians, and the Financial Industry.

Would be the quickest way to end the drug war.
I'm all for that. I get drug tested where I work and I don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't have a problem with the death penalty for drug dealers. The exception being weed.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Have you been keeping up the past 10 years??

Some in this country break laws and rules with impunity. Others are crucified for petty, non-violent offenses that hurt no one.

Which is worse? Someone who smokes marijuana or someone who steals millions?
I dunno, it's hard to tell. You call "stealing millions (billions and trillions, actually) to squander for votes "doing good" when the government does it.

But, degree is immaterial. Both are breaking the law. And I don't want people who break the law in charge of ** my ** money. Explain how that's bad.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
When I lived in the U.S. I can and did hire an individual with a criminal record. This person served several years in a federal prison for sex crimes. He did his time and I was happy to give him a chance. Throughout the term of his employment (I left to return to Canada), he was exemplary in his work. He continues to be employed there and from what I hear, is still a great employee.

Everyone needs a second chance.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I dunno, it's hard to tell. You call "stealing millions (billions and trillions, actually) to squander for votes "doing good" when the government does it.

But, degree is immaterial. Both are breaking the law. And I don't want people who break the law in charge of ** my ** money. Explain how that's bad.
Your completely off the mark.

One is a victimless crime where an individual is expressing his God given right to use a plant medicinally or recreationally that harms no one. It is also completely non-lethal.

The other can affect thousands if not more and is sometimes done with pure ill intent to others and has a much higher financial downside to the whole of society.

There's a big difference.

People try to argue putting "God" on everything, how bout be about it first.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
When I lived in the U.S. I can and did hire an individual with a criminal record. This person served several years in a federal prison for sex crimes. He did his time and I was happy to give him a chance. Throughout the term of his employment (I left to return to Canada), he was exemplary in his work. He continues to be employed there and from what I hear, is still a great employee.

Everyone needs a second chance.
Everyone has the option of risking THEIR means on giving second chances. I applaud doing so with sober judgment. You just don't get to do it in positions of trust, where someone ** else's ** means is at risk.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:

One is a victimless crime where an individual is expressing his God given right to use a plant medicinally or recreationally that harms no one. It is also completely non-lethal.

The other can affect thousands if not more and is sometimes done with pure ill intent to others and has a much higher financial downside to the whole of society.

I'm sorry, YOU are off the mark. It is not up to me to decide what is immaterial for SOMEONE ELSE. BOTH have a proven record of breaking the rules. Feel free to offer someone a job AT YOUR EXPENSE. Not at mine - I'll do the same, if so inclined.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:

Ironic that the RWNJ fringe, who commonly call themselves Christian, are the first ones to judge a book by its cover, to hold grudges, and to not forgive. They are nothing but modern day Philistines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.