Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Gasp!! I'm terrified. Bite me. Lol.
Hey don't blame me. I'm just following the rules. Don't want to disappoint the powers that be.
Proud to be part of the Lemming Army where decision making is for the other guy.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, but your admission to being a druggie explains much of your incoherence.
Do you call the plethora of people on prescription meds, druggies?
More people die from the misuse of prescription drugs, than die in automobile crashes. B-B-B-B-But a doctor said so, so it must be okay.
Coherent enough?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
It depends on the crime.

Support Rand Paul or some other libertarian, and the "war on drugs" will end with a stroke of a pen.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Repped ya alphamale as far as supporting ending the war on drugs.

Now as for my opinion as to whether or not I would hire an ex-con. Well I guess that would depend on the severity of the crime, and how long ago it was, as well as if they've kept themselves out of trouble since.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I would say a good number of those "criminals" were not involve a crime, just an arrest and release, but they end up having a criminal record.
I agree with this. I actually was arrested and even though my case was dismissed, I had a criminal record and still do have a criminal record because of it. I had to pay to have it expunged but for certain agencies, they can still see it on my record as it is never truly gone forever and can come back to bite you in many jobs. The job I have now, because I work for a company that works for the government, asked me about the arrest even though it has been expunged since 2006 and I was not convicted of anything, so basically I will have to defend myself for the rest of my life due to an overzealous cop who decided to arrest me and my husband and try to put my kid in foster care because I had a dog in the car and he said it was "child endangerment." I did sue the department and it was settled and the officer reprimanded, but I doubt he will have to answer questions about anything like this for the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It's interesting being a helpless victim are the only options you see. If no one will hire them some people might take that opportunity to start their own business, become self employed and not dependent on someone giving them a job or giving them unemployment.

Would I hire someone with a criminal record? Where I work it would automatically disqualify them, so it wouldn't be up to me. If I made the policy decisions it would depend on the crime, and when it happened. Arrested for pot 25 years ago? Not that big a deal. Convicted of rape and now out of prison? Not a chance, ever. He can go work for some "everyone deserves a second chance" person.
I agree with this in theory but you have to realize that the SBA and banks usually will not lend money to an entrepreneur who has a criminal record. Also how would someone have the capital to start a business that will sustain him/her without having a job to begin with to have a few extra dollars to put into good to sell for example. FWIW, I will admit I have a rogue portion of my extended family, who were involved in the drug trade in the late 80s and early 90s. Most of them got about 5-10 years in jail for drug selling. A few of them do have their own businesses now. They tried to go about it the "right" way but ended up having to go back to selling drugs in order to get money to open "legitimate" businesses. The others who didn't think to open legitimate businesses either live off their "baby mamas" who don't have criminal records and work and get assistance (foodstamps and housing) because they are not married, or they went back to selling drugs, a few of them are back in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry;31843431[B
]Do you call the plethora of people on prescription meds, druggies?[/b]
More people die from the misuse of prescription drugs, than die in automobile crashes. B-B-B-B-But a doctor said so, so it must be okay.
Coherent enough?
I do call them druggies, and "fiends" and "junkies" and other demeaning names. They are no better than someone on heroine or meth or crack IMO and I don't like how people like to act like they are to be pitied moreso than other drug users.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,886 times
A suprising little known fact about america: we have the highest prison population in the world. A person goes to jail for a crime, some people go for stupid reasons/non-violent crimes (I guess that's another debate about what's worth going to jail for), the person pays off their time. But the nightmare doesn't end there. The person is free. Free without the walls. But in their mind, they are still there. How could they feel this way, you ask? Well, their lives are still ruined. Even after they've did their time, they now find themselves unemployable. I suppose in the past, in better economic times, ex-felons and prisoners could always find a little boost to get them jobs and make a living. Fast forward to recent times, and the "miracle" factor keeps going downhill. In today's economy, even 1 arrest will pretty much kill your chances for any job.

I don't know what to think about this. I find it hypocritical that alot of people talk about work ethic, self-sufficiency and personal responsibility, but yet we send people to prison (which the working man pays for), then let them out and it's like they are still in prison, mentally, because they can't find jobs, can't rent an apartment, can't get a drivers license, the doors are slammed at almost every angle.

Wanting to work. Willing to work. Wanting to support yourself. This should be a GOOD thing. Is it a good thing? Americans put so much belief and pride into working for a living, but their fellow citizens (who happen to be ex-felons) are denied just about all opportunities to start over. I just can't believe it. A society that is built on hard work, wouldn't turn someone away, would it?

If the workforce, for the most part, isn't going to accept these people why do we let them out of prison? When their only options are the dole, or doing more crimes. Well, actually, I heard in some states if you have a felony you are banned from receiving any kind of welfare benefits for the rest of your life. Don't quote me on that though.

Really, really telling.

Not allowed to work -----> welfare -----> get a job ya bum!

RWNJ's 101.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,036,483 times
In construction I work with murderers,thieves,skinheads and worse.Most are ok and will watch your back.Kinda old fashioned way of living where we all just are there and know we all need to get along.Never had a problem in 43 yrs and if you break down on the side of the road help is guaranteed from these guys. Take them over a cubicle chained metro sexual idiot who can pass a background check anyday of the week.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,552,625 times
They used to be able to get manual labor jobs.

Guess why they can't now?

Because Democrats need the votes of illegals who get those jobs.

Look in the mirror for the culprits.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,159,902 times
Most due to drug convictions in this crazy "war" that never ends.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Most due to drug convictions in this crazy "war" that never ends.
While the politicians, corporate elite, and Police partake with no penalty.

Crazy hypocritical society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.