Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 PM

808 posts, read 663,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, I don't agree at all. Most people do not attend college because of future income, but because they want to prove to themselves that they can do it. People study engineering because they want to create stuff. People study medicine because they want to help people. A few people like MBA students might be mostly doing it for money, and they are also the biggest pest around, frankly.
baloney. people study medicine and engineering exactly because it gives them good and secure income. the ones who prefer medicine do not especially like math and physics, though

Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,768,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
"overpopulation" is a 1970's falacy.

you need to look deeper. demographers are suggesting we are headed for a serious reversal in population that will cause serious problems in the near future.

something is wrong with a system that does not reward hard work. Human nature is what it is. if doing little or nothing will get the same reward as being very productive, the vast majority of people will choose to do as little as possible.
Yeah, just like there are people denying climate change

I don't share that whole view that someone with a simple job is working less hard than, say, a doctor. Flipping burgers 40 hours a week is hard work. I have done something similar when I was young so I can tell. Just because a job is not intellectual, does not mean it is not hard work.

Now, someone who does not give his best in whatever they do, that is a different matter, and you will find them in all professions. There are professors who only spend very little time on their job, yet earning crazy sums.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And this article from the Higher Education Research Institute would disagree with your opinion:

Higher Education Research Institute (HERI) - Survey: More freshmen than ever say they go to college to get better jobs, make more money

From the article:

"Two out of three first-year students (66.6 percent) surveyed said they believe current economic conditions significantly affected their choice of college, up from 62.1 percent just two years earlier, when the question was first asked.

Reflecting this concern, students are increasingly placing a premium on the job-related benefits of going to college. The portion of incoming freshmen that cited "to be able to get a better job" as a very important reason for attending college reached an all-time high of 87.9 percent in 2012, an increase from 85.9 percent in 2011 and considerably higher than the low of 67.8 percent in 1976. In the minds of today's college students, getting a better job continues to be the most prevalent reason to go to college.

Many incoming students also said the ability "to make more money" was a very important reason to attend college; this percentage rose from 71.7 in 2011 to 74.6 in 2012, another all-time high."

Clearly the majority of students are motivated to attend college to better their future earnings. I'm sure there are some who feel they have something to prove to themselves or their families, but they are in the minority. Removing the incentive to earn more with a college degree would undoubtedly dissuade many from attending. Those who did attend would likely fall into 2 groups: those who want to do a specific job that requires additional training and those who look to academia as a way to put off joining the work force. Paying everyone the same regardless of employment would lead to a less educated population. How can that be a good thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
baloney. people study medicine and engineering exactly because it gives them good and secure income. the ones who prefer medicine do not especially like math and physics, though
Those people will create lots of problems as people who pick their professions for the wrong reasons always do. Like for instance teachers who don't like children, but still decide on that job because of the privileges associated with jobs in the public sector. They only end up wasting their lives and being poor teachers, even stealing jobs from teachers that consider teaching their calling.
In German there is the word Beruf (mere profession) and Berufung (profession in the sense of calling).

Same with artists, real artists don't really care if people like their art, many prefer to do what they feel like doing, even if that means they are poor.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
Quote:
Those people will create lots of problems as people who pick their professions for the wrong reasons always do. Like for instance teachers who don't like children, but still decide on that job because of the privileges associated with jobs in the public sector. They only end up wasting their lives and being poor teachers, even stealing jobs from teachers that consider teaching their calling.
And this has what exactly to do with your assertion that everyone should be paid the same regardless of their job and that the same number of people will still attend college without a financial benefit in doing so?

It's a fact that the majority of students attend college to get a better job and earn more money. If the world shifted to one where everyone earned the same, the smartest financial decision for one's future becomes to NOT attend college and join the work force ASAP. The doctor who spends an additional 10 years in school will NEVER catch up in lifetime earning with the burger flipper who goes to work at 16. And we would live in a world where educational attainment is financially meaningless and in fact detrimental to one's financial well being. No thanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 PM

808 posts, read 663,274 times
Quote:
In German there is the word Beruf (mere profession) and Berufung (profession in the sense of calling).

Same with artists, real artists don't really care if people like their art, many prefer to do what they feel like doing, even if that means they are poor.
no, they won't. those are actually the people who move everything ahead. those are the ones, who make the world progress.

never ever trust the "idealist" - the worst possible type of human being and the most cruel one.

p.s. somehow I highly suspect you have never had any job yet, and are just a high school student.
one can not be so inexperienced in the reality.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
Quote:
Same with artists, .real artists don't really care if people like their art, many prefer to do what they feel like doing, even if that means they are poor
But, they won't be poor in your Utopia. At least not any poorer than a doctor. I can just see it now, millions of "artists" and "novelists" will draw their monthly stipend while creating their "art". Sounds like a sweet gig to me. No one has to like or buy the crap, but as long as the artist is happy and gets paid, it's all good. LOL.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
And this has what exactly to do with your assertion that everyone should be paid the same regardless of their job and that the same number of people will still attend college without a financial benefit in doing so?

It's a fact that the majority of students attend college to get a better job and earn more money. If the world shifted to one where everyone earned the same, the smartest financial decision for one's future becomes to NOT attend college and join the work force ASAP. The doctor who spends an additional 10 years in school will NEVER catch up in lifetime earning with the burger flipper who goes to work at 16. And we would live in a world where educational attainment is financially meaningless and in fact detrimental to one's financial well being. No thanks.
As I have said pages ago, I would pay students an income as well so that there is no sacrifice while studying.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
But, they won't be poor in your Utopia. At least not any poorer than a doctor. I can just see it now, millions of "artists" and "novelists" will draw their monthly stipend while creating their "art". Sounds like a sweet gig to me. No one has to like or buy the crap, but as long as the artist is happy and gets paid, it's all good. LOL.
With freelancers there is indeed the need for a mechanism. My income equality refers to employed people, for course.
Today everyone can try to be an artist as well, and most whose art is not bought, will sooner or later abandon it and do something else. Many actually have several jobs at the same time.

I doubt that odd assumption that masses of people would become pseudo-artists because it is oh so easy. Most people are realistic, they know their strengths and weaknesses, and act accordingly. Nor are most people lazy, they want to do something in life.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
no, they won't. those are actually the people who move everything ahead. those are the ones, who make the world progress.

never ever trust the "idealist" - the worst possible type of human being and the most cruel one.

p.s. somehow I highly suspect you have never had any job yet, and are just a high school student.
one can not be so inexperienced in the reality.

I totally disagree with that view. I prefer idealists passionate about their jobs anytime. I would not even hire an applicant if I felt like they were after the money.

Nah, I am in my mid-40s, I have graduated from university, I have had various jobs as an employee, and these days I am a freelancer...

Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,817,020 times
Quote:
I don't consider that a problem at all, quite to the contrary. Efficiency creates a lot of problems as it makes people redundant, people who exist, though, with all their needs.

The Soviet Union crumbled mostly because they tried to compete with the West, which made no sense at all as both systems have different goals. It is like a koala trying to keep up with a horse. It will simply die from stress after a little while instead of being a happy koala bear and living at its own speed.
Man, that's some backwards way of thinking. We're all human beings we all have similar goals in life. It's quite simple, a "system" that allows you more personal freedom wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies