Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What is the problem? People were fired. A report was released. I suggest you read it. It was more about the murky nature of regulating these lying political organizations pretending to be non political and asking for government handouts in the form of tax exemptions. To me that is a problem.

They should have to face those questions, these organizations are lying. They are political and they don't deserve that tax exempt status, the IRS has a legal responsibility to investigate them.

Again, any favoritism cannot be tolerated and people who have done that shouldn't be working in government.
But they are. So what is the problem? Well as you note they should be fired but haven't been and we need to make sure one of them is whoever decided this would be a good idea.

Then perhaps prosecuted for stomping on the civil and constitutional rights of others.

Just wait until the lawsuits start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
But they are. So what is the problem? Well as you note they should be fired but haven't been and we need to make sure one of them is whoever decided this would be a good idea.

Then perhaps prosecuted for stomping on the civil and constitutional rights of others.

Just wait until the lawsuits start.
What you want everyone in the IRS fired? That's not realistic, what happens in these situations when is that the leaders are fired and they set new policies in place to make sure it doesn't happen. This is what is going on.

These groups were not denied tax exempt status. They all got it.
You are stretching. I hope they sue so their cases can get laughed out of court.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Default Accurate assessment of Obama tactics

Obama has engaged in corrupt strategies that are damaging to our country:

Strassel: The IRS Scandal Started at the Top - WSJ.com

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What you want everyone in the IRS fired? That's not realistic, what happens in these situations when is that the leaders are fired and they set new policies in place to make sure it doesn't happen. This is what is going on.

These groups were not denied tax exempt status. They all got it.
You are stretching. I hope they sue so their cases can get laughed out of court.
You agree that they should be fired. I note that I agree but they haven't. You reply with "what, you want everyone fired".

You either believe they should be or perhaps you really don't have a problem with what went on here but are reluctant to say that so you say something else you are unwilling to actually support.

P.S. IRS rules support lawsuits when approval has been delayed.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I love how you dont even realize the time frame of this happening, it started in 2010, not 2012. Dont claim to know a time frame when you dont.

burst your little bubble.
Meet the group the IRS actually denied: Democrats! - Salon.com
Thoroughly embarrassed for you.

I am well aware of the time frame. BO has been in election mode from day one.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Obama has engaged in corrupt strategies that are damaging to our country:

Strassel: The IRS Scandal Started at the Top - WSJ.com
So basically because President Obama has political opponents and because he publically opposed those political opponents that caused the situation at the IRS, what sloppy irrational thinking.

This is what I mean about conservatives. That article makes no sense, none. Bascially what that person is suggesting is that President Obama shouldn't be political in a political job, shouldn't address his political opponents. This is absolute nonsense.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You agree that they should be fired. I note that I agree but they haven't. You reply with "what, you want everyone fired".

You either believe they should be or perhaps you really don't have a problem with what went on here but are reluctant to say that so you say something else you are unwilling to actually support.
What exactly did go on here?

The IRS received an overwhelming number of new applications for 501c4 tax-exempt status. Many of those groups were political groups masquerading as 'social welfare' groups. (The law limits 501c4 to non-political social welfare groups.)

The result was that nearly all of the groups were granted the status -- including Karl Roves Crossroads GPS, which is entirely political.

So, if the objective was to deny conservative and Tea Party groups tax-exempt status, they sure didn't do a very good job.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The only qualifications 0bama looks for are summed with one question:

"Are you willing to use the power and authority of your government office,and if required, to ignore any of our laws, in order to punish conservatives and reward progressives?"
...that reminds me of his own words: he said to "punish your enemies and reward your friends."

He also joked about using the IRS to take revenge...

"President Obama famously joked in a college commencement address in 2009 that he could use the IRS to target political enemies but of course he never would. It appears that people at the Internal Revenue Service didn't think he was joking. That's become clear since IRS Director of Exempt Organizations Lois Lerner admitted on Friday that the agency targeted conservatives for special tax-exempt scrutiny during the 2012 election season. ...
A Bad Joke Becomes Reality

At his Arizona State University commencement speech last Wednesday, Mr. Obama noted that ASU had refused to grant him an honorary degree, citing his lack of experience, and the controversy this had caused. He then demonstrated ASU's point by remarking, "I really thought this was much ado about nothing, but I do think we all learned an important lesson. I learned never again to pick another team over the Sun Devils in my NCAA brackets. . . . President [Michael] Crowe and the Board of Regents will soon learn all about being audited by the IRS."
Tax Audits Are No Laughing Matter - WSJ.com

Does he still think it's funny, I wonder...

Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If you have to ask...

Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

The IRS received an overwhelming number of new applications for 501c4 tax-exempt status. Many of those groups were political groups masquerading as 'social welfare' groups. (The law limits 501c4 to non-political social welfare groups.)

The result was that nearly all of the groups were granted the status -- including Karl Roves Crossroads GPS, which is entirely political.

So, if the objective was to deny conservative and Tea Party groups tax-exempt status, they sure didn't do a very good job.
Deflections on a political message board is not going to do anything to stop the investigations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies