Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Liberties? What liberties? First these groups weren't denied their tax exempt status.

It is wrong for the government to favor one group over another. Those who do that shouldn't be in government.

Again, these groups are going to the government asking to be investigated by applying for tax exempt status.

The IRS by law is required to make sure these groups deserve that government handout.

The IRS didn't say hey group over there answer these questions. Those groups said hey federal government give us handouts by exempting the money our organization raises from taxes.
When the conservative group's applications were held for years, but liberal applications were approved quickly, they in effect lost money. And how many just disbanded because the process was taking so long?

If you think this is OK, then you deserve the dictatorship that is being put in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,480,772 times
This administration needs to come clean...and that means scumbag Obama needs to come clean too. And...if he does come clean he'll be impeached - that is why he continues to lie and avoid dealing with all these scandals. Hopefully the truth will be dragged out of some of these people involved.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, they can sue. And maybe some will succeed. But I think that the hysteria that is currently happening will give birth to many, many lawsuits. But they will have to show that approval of their application was willfully delayed because of bias.

LOL, that shouldn't be too tough. You target one side of a political equation but not the other, yeah right, no bias there.

Just an oops, sorrry.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
I don't care whether or not Congress finds out if this was "political".
What the IRS did was wrong.

Get the workers on the stand and ask them point blank who told them to do what they did.
Then get that guy on the stand and ask point blank who told them what to do that.
Work your way up until you get the person that originated the "faulty process".

When people are threatened with legal/jail time they will squeal if they were not responsible.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM

29,608 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I wish you people would stop it with the Bush did it.. someone else did it.. Bush did a lot of things I didn't like but you don't hear me asking for his head. When are you people going to stop blaming someone else and take responsibility for the mess you created by putting numb nutz in the whitehouse?
My comment says nothing about Bush, it says Republican administrations. The person i responded to put forth the argument of deficits, debt and printing money as if a Republican in office would have changed that.

Ranting that "democrats always blame Bush" does not refute what i said in my comment.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What you want everyone in the IRS fired? That's not realistic, what happens in these situations when is that the leaders are fired and they set new policies in place to make sure it doesn't happen. This is what is going on.

These groups were not denied tax exempt status. They all got it.
You are stretching. I hope they sue so their cases can get laughed out of court.
Except the "leader" wasn't fired. She was given another job (in charge of implementing ObamaCare, as if that's not terrifying enough), and therefore was under the delusion that she could avoid scrutiny.

It doesn't matter that they eventually got their exempt status. They weren't treated equally under the law, which is against the Constitution.

You lefties that think this is OK (because, face it, you want those groups to go away) should remember that if it happens to conservative groups, it could happen to "your" group in the future.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What exactly did go on here?

The IRS received an overwhelming number of new applications for 501c4 tax-exempt status. Many of those groups were political groups masquerading as 'social welfare' groups. (The law limits 501c4 to non-political social welfare groups.)

The result was that nearly all of the groups were granted the status -- including Karl Roves Crossroads GPS, which is entirely political.

So, if the objective was to deny conservative and Tea Party groups tax-exempt status, they sure didn't do a very good job.
Labor-friendly groups applied at a higher percentage than conservative groups, yet their applications were approved at a much faster rate.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't care whether or not Congress finds out if this was "political".
What the IRS did was wrong.

Get the workers on the stand and ask them point blank who told them to do what they did.
Then get that guy on the stand and ask point blank who told them what to do that.
Work your way up until you get the person that originated the "faulty process".

When people are threatened with legal/jail time they will squeal if they were not responsible.
You dont get to change your argument after being proven wrong. Your response to me was about the motive, not the action it self, now you are saying you dont care about the motive because there is proof liberal groups were targeted as well.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL, that shouldn't be too tough. You target one side of a political equation but not the other, yeah right, no bias there.

Just an oops, sorrry.
Only 2/3 of the applications that received closer scrutiny weren't conservative organizations.

That's a tough fact to overcome when you are asserting that they only targeted one side of a political equation. 2/3 of the applications weren't conservative organizations.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Labor-friendly groups applied at a higher percentage than conservative groups, yet their applications were approved at a much faster rate.
Where exactly are these rates ? And how do you have proof that the Labor friendly groups were political ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies