Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I shutter to think of what the merit badges would entail.
Are those shutters white, or a nice modern black? Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Quote:
And I am, or was, a proud Eagle Scout with fond memories of my time with that organization. The leaders of my troop were excellent role models, setting examples of what it meant to be a young man during what could be a very confusing time of life.
And you don't think gay young men deserve this experience too? If anything, they need role models and guidance more than ANYONE - seeing as they'll face the very same hatred you see on this thread, and will need support to deal with it.

Now if we're discussing gay troop leaders, why can't they also provide these "examples of what it means to be a young man?" Do they not have male parts, and were they not young boys at one time too? Gay men can be amazing role models, and it's not like they would be discussing their sex lives... they would be doing their jobs as expected, just like any straight male or female leading the troop. By your logic, I guess we shouldn't allow straight women to lead troops either (but they do). Seriously, I have to wonder if you've even MET a gay person, given your ridiculous image of them - like they'd introduce themselves as "your gay leader," and then start instructing them on how to have gay sex. Puuuuulease, grow up already.

Quote:
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight
What's your point? That says nothing about homosexuals, as they can be "morally straight" and teach those values too. Maybe you were raised to think otherwise, but I assure you they're (overall) just as moral as anyone else - often even more so. And don't bring "Christian values" into the discussion, because I know plenty of gay Christians and gay-friendly churches/denominations.

Quote:
If I now had a son, I would be very leery of having him involved in what the Scouts may become. Sending him for a week in the woods with a gay leader and other boys who may be gay is not something I would consider.
Would you be just as leery of letting them go camping with a female troop leader? If not, why do you make a distinction between the two?

Quote:
Like I suggested, let the gays have their own organizations and they can all go into the woods and do whatever they like. Leave the BSA out of it.
The BSA can do whatever they want, but this attitude just REEKS of similarities to the arguments for racial segregation... yep, I went there, as the connection is too strong to ignore. "Why do those pesky blacks need to invade our schools? Let them have their own!" Oh wait, they did just that, and now white people complain HBCs are "racist."

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-29-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
They didn't ban gay people, just gay people who are out of the closet. Clearly I have gay friends who are Eagle Scouts. Is it necessary to be out of the closet to your scout troop? Do you need to make your sexuality public? It's not the entirety of who you are.
Oh please.

I have a whites only organization. We don't ban black people, just black people who don't use skin bleachers.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh please.

I have a whites only organization. We don't ban black people, just black people who don't use skin bleachers.

strange, the Boy Scout troop I belonged too had more backs in it than they had white in it. 40 scouts and almost 60% were black.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
As a liberal, I don't really care what the BSA does. Lets be honest, the kids today that end up in the boy scouts are the socially awkward castoffs from youth sports. BSA died a long time ago... finally entering the 21st century won't be enough to reverse it.
[MOD CUT]
That's pretty much how it was in our town. Cub Scouts was hugely popular - but by the time the boys started to enter middle school - they started quitting one by one as they found their 'sport' and scouting was no longer considered cool.

By high school - only a handful remained.

My son was the same. He liked cub scouts - but our leader was big on doing 'crafts' and he absolutely hated doing crafts with a passion. I was ready to leave when we did.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
strange, the Boy Scout troop I belonged too had more backs in it than they had white in it. 40 scouts and almost 60% were black.
It's called an analogy.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's called an analogy.
A bad one comparing outward physical appearance with sexual preferences. Again, it IS a sexual preference, orientation, what have you, and it has no place in scouting. BSA isn't for exploring your sexuality.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
A bad one comparing outward physical appearance with sexual preferences. Again, it IS a sexual preference, orientation, what have you, and it has no place in scouting. BSA isn't for exploring your sexuality.
Both are innate, immutable, biological characteristics.

And who the hell said gay people want to explore their sexuality in the Boy Scouts?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
It bothers me that the media makes it out to be that overwhelmingly americans support gay marriage and are comfortable with gays. Liberals and the liberal media have to have everything be their way and if you don't support their beliefs watch out!! The boy scouts of america are obviously doing so the media backs off.
So the media just lied to us, when those states VOTED to legalize gay marriage? I used to live in Maryland, and outside of the DC metro it's really not that liberal of a state... hmmmm.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

Being an Eagle Scout at one time meant something, about one's character, integrity and values.
Is this the same Boy Scouts that reportedly expelled about 5000 leaders and volunteers since the late 50's on suspicion of child molestation and did so without alerting the Police?

Is this the same Boy Scouts that allegedly maintained secret perversion files, yet did not call the Police?

Homosexuality and child molestation are not the same thing.

How exactly does an adult sexual orientation/preference different than you own change one's character, integrity and values?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Is the Boy Scouts for exploring heterosexual sex, then? If not, I fail to see how allowing gay people to join would lead to massive amounts of sex & sexual talk. They're not asking to do demonstrations, for chrissakes, they're just asking not to be excluded from the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.