Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,862,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nah. Have you ever known any addicts?
Most are very moderate when they have reliable source.
I"ve met quite few meth addicts and it's clear that they will consume as much as they can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 AM

3,717 posts, read 5,049,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
and what is with this ridiculous state-sponsered, free methadone.

that should be scrapped.

I mean, would I get free drink if I were an alcoholic?

Health reasons and yes in hospitals if you have a heavy alcohol addiction, you may get an ivy drip of ethanol to control the DT.

Methadone has its problems but it allows a heroin addict to switch to something that does not give the same high as heroin. It also helps block the high that heroin gives. The idea is to step down the dose over time so that the person does not go through withdrawal. However the withdrawal from methadone cen be worse that that from heroin.

Withdrawal is both psychological and physical. When you stop drugs cold turkey you risk it and the withdrawal alone can be enough to drive you to return to taking drugs(I mean if you were sick as a dog, you would go out and find an drug dealer to relive thoose symptoms.) It isn’t perfect but in general people who use methadone are less likely to go out and purchase heroin. They then step down the methadone and latter switch to another drug that has less withdral than Herion or methadone.

Withdrawal can also be lethal depending on the kind of drug and how extreme the addiction was to it. It can cause seizures, strokes, and heart attack. Heroin usually isn’t but alcohol and other tranquilizers can be.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,862,515 times
ok, withdrawal can be lethal - so what?

one less junkie to deal with

Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Prescribed drugs tend to be legal and that is a key difference.

they are administered professionally and tend to calm people down

Unlike meth, crack etc.. which make people crazy.
err no even Prescribed drugs can lead to addiction. The only difference is the amounts of prescribed drugs are limited as well as the time frame and doctors tend to choose the least addictive substance to treat with(i.e. Some addictive drugs have uses beyond pain killers or calming people down like the compound that makes you high in weed is used to control nausea). The higher schedule number (in general) the lower the addiction risk.

Schedule I drugs are controlled and banned. Only can get for research purposes.

Schedule II you can not get refills on(i.e. new prescription need every time to fill)-however the doctor can write three separate 30 day prescriptions for them.

Schedule III Prescriptions are only good for 6 months (normal prescriptions are valid for a year)-can only be refilled 5 times in that time period.

Schedule IV Similar restrictions as II

Schedule V Similar restrictions as II

Also to prevent fraud prescriptions for narcotics must have a prescription ID number that is unique to the doctor(and doctors who get addicted can have this privilege removed). There are also limits about their transportation too.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,337,301 times
Quote:
Prescribed drugs tend to be legal and that is a key difference.

they are administered professionally and tend to calm people down

Unlike meth, crack etc.. which make people crazy.
How do you explain Limbaugh then?? You call him calm?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
ok, withdrawal can be lethal - so what?

one less junkie to deal with
err nah our society for better or worse believes in saving people and again the withdrawal can cause them to seek the drug itself. i.e. They want to get off the drug but those symptoms make it impossible to do so without being very sick or even mentally impaired for days, weeks, even months depending on the drug. The bodies chemistry adapts to the drug and if you stop it then they suffer badly.

In fact this was one the problems with patent medicine. Not only did it not cure the problem but it contained narcotics which addicted the user. So you take heroin (in the patent medice for a bad stomach ache--which fixes itself) and then stop and have serve stomach cramps....so you turn again to the bottle of patent medicine to cure your stomach problems. Nasty cycle.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:37 AM

29,268 posts, read 22,607,928 times
Quote:
not sure about him, but don't think he was a druggie, lol

so how about it?

serial offenders that are hooked on crystal meth, crack, heroin and the like - give them one chance to sort it out otherwise it's the chop!

and what is with this ridiculous state-sponsered, free methadone.

that should be scrapped.

I mean, would I get free drink if I were an alcoholic?
Uh... Limbaugh went deaf from his addiction to oxycontin. He's the definition of a druggie.

But it seems you're willing to give a pass to oxy, the hillbilly heroin.

What's the "chop" supposed to mean? Death by beheading? Or just death by legal execution?

Get real, Kenneth- what your'e talking about is the territory of Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, and the Taliban, and you know it.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 AM

742 posts, read 681,456 times
Culled? Should alcoholics? Cig smokers? Anyone with an addiction?
Start the chambers!
No really fascism wasn't cool with Nazis actions it's not cool now.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,505,914 times
Quote:
legalise it?

do you mean we should enable these degenerate retards - what good would that do?
Reduce the burden on the prison system. Reduce the financial burden on the Federal, State, County, and City levels drastically. Reduce gang related murders in Mexico.

I can go on, but I'm sure you'll have some objections to all of the above, so please feel free to enlighten us plebeians.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,017,221 times
Totally. I think we should run an in-depth DNA analysis at birth and look at known markers the pre-dispose for undesirable traits. We could then simply cull all these kids before they become a real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies