Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You against providing quality, educational programs? Rather see more free market, reality based television such as "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo?"
Well, you can watch that if you like but I prefer the science channel, history channel, discovery channel and so forth.

Hey, I'm an NPR fan and if there is NO market for these programs then so be it....but I know I will support them.

I'm with Frank, pull back our troops and bases and let PBS stand on it's own 2 legs. Sweet jesus, how much money do they make marketing elmos, big birds etc etc etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
If we compare the federal budgets of Germany and USA,

Federal budget of Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2013 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Germany spend about 9 % of their budget in defense while we spend 17% of our budget in defense. Germany spends about 3.3% on education while we spend around 2 % on education. For transportation, Germany spends around 9 % of their budget in transportation and housing while we spend again around 3 % on that. Our social security + Medicare + Medicaid comes around 47 % of our burget while in case of Germany, they spend close to 33 %.

Their priorities are different. Yet we want to cut on other programs and increase defense spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
National defense doesn't generate money. For every military contract that makes money for mutilbillion dollar corporations, there is a tax for that, or we borrow money we'll have to tax for later to pay off.

The idea behind the bases in Germany is that its better for national defense to already have a base there and waiting in case we need to deploy military personnel to some region within reach from Germany. Such as, the middle east. Of course we can't launch all missions from Germany, so we then have to go and open bases in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, wherever, and that takes money, and time, and during war time is not an asset you have much of, etc.

But my point is that if Germany is our ally, and they are making money, and they are, shouldn't they be able to maintain a base we can use at a moments notice?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Sesame Street is brought to you by sugary cereal loaded with additives, preservatives, food coloring, and diabetes provoking loads of sugar.

Good... Doesn't mean you have to buy the cereal does it?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
By the same logic, if you want troops in Germany, you should write check for them.
I agree. Or get Germany to pay for them. Foreign troops should be a profit center, not a cost center.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'd go for cutting the funding to PBC if we would also cut subsidies and tax breaks for all corporations.

How about no more deductions for charity? The elite of my town pay for their social lives with corporate giving to charity. In return for the corporation's donation, the officers get to go to the ball, etc. There is a event every weekend during 'the season' .

How about corporate season passes to the ball games or the symphony? Cost of doing business my arze.

Stop deductions for mortgage interest.

How about dependent deductions? If some family wants 10 kids why should the rest of us subsidize their choice? Then we have to pay +/- $8000 a kid in property tax to send them to school.

I could go on all day. Let's all have the same tax rate with no deductions. It is not the government's business to subsidize life style and or business decisions.
I agree. Eliminate Farm Aid, all corporate welfare and all individual welfare. Welfare should be a private function.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
One of the big talking points on the Right is how we can fix all of our budget problems by cutting funding for public broadcasting. The annual budget for the CPB is $430,000,000, which is very little considering the impact that it has. Conversely, the cost of our 50,000+ troops currently stationed in Germany (you know, cause WWII is still happening) is over $2,500,000,000, or 5.8 times as much as public broadcasting. So why does NOBODY on the right ever mention this? Big Bird has much more of an impact on this country than some troops coaching their son's little league team in Germany. In fact, the 2.5 billion number is grossly underestimated because it does not take all the additional expenses into account.

Until we withdraw our troops from Germany, we should never cut a single social or research (like NASA) program. Overseas military spending does not benefit us here in America, social programs and research programs do.
Does PBS fall under the federal government's duties under the US Constitution for national security, or international treaty obligations? No?? I rest my case.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 AM

59,020 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because Mittens would rather cut something that has an insignificant impact on the deficit than make the hard decisions about going after the real money suckers.
Just another ignorant statement.

If you don't know what he actually said, you shouldn't post comments that might make you look foolish!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
What duty or obligations were we following when Bush/Cheney decided to attack Iraq??? Duty of increasing profits for Oil companies and defense contractors at the cost of tax-payers????
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Does PBS fall under the federal government's duties under the US Constitution for national security, or international treaty obligations? No?? I rest my case.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think our huge number of world class universities and other schools speak for themselves.

We don't need government to fund entertainment.
PBS evolved from the old "educational" TV stations. It's not supposed to be mere entertainment. The fact that some people find watching something educational entertaining is lost on others.

Our world class universities get a lot of government funding.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree. Eliminate Farm Aid, all corporate welfare and all individual welfare. Welfare should be a private function.
Charity is to be given freely and not forced and coerced by governments. Charity for the mind should be private also. Governments bring things down to the lowers common denominator - a one size fits all idea. The private sphere allows the mind to excel. You can not force a person to be educated it is a choice of free will...Only the private sector is capable of truly bringing about the highest level of awareness and wisdom...the public sector- They are too busy with that equality thing...and ensuring a compliant populace through mediocrity. Now lets go watch some mindless programming....forget about enlightenment...what do we need light for...stumbling in the dark is fine as long as there is a foot ball game on...or the an episode of Hoarders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies