Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
One of the big talking points on the Right is how we can fix all of our budget problems by cutting funding for public broadcasting. The annual budget for the CPB is $430,000,000, which is very little considering the impact that it has. Conversely, the cost of our 50,000+ troops currently stationed in Germany (you know, cause WWII is still happening) is over $2,500,000,000, or 5.8 times as much as public broadcasting. So why does NOBODY on the right ever mention this? Big Bird has much more of an impact on this country than some troops coaching their son's little league team in Germany. In fact, the 2.5 billion number is grossly underestimated because it does not take all the additional expenses into account.

Until we withdraw our troops from Germany, we should never cut a single social or research (like NASA) program. Overseas military spending does not benefit us here in America, social programs and research programs do.
Another disingenuous leftie....who'd a thunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,287,940 times
Quote:
Until we withdraw our troops from Germany, we should never cut a single social or research (like NASA) program. Overseas military spending does not benefit us here in America, social programs and research programs do.
That is MAJOR BS!

We save money by having bases with our soldiers because then we have jumping off spots to service our needs. Without them we would find it impossible to be where we need to be and the cost of executing our military from further off would be outrageous. Also, the chances of any successful mission would also go down.

Remember the great Jimmy Carter military action in Iran where all of our helecopters came down? Would have been nice to have a near by base then as well.

Common sense helps. At least our military does something for the country, outside of the elderly and disabled, few should expect long term entitlements from government anyway.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,464,555 times
Quote:
One of the big talking points on the Right is how we can fix all of our budget problems by cutting funding for public broadcasting. The annual budget for the CPB is $430,000,000, which is very little considering the impact that it has. Conversely, the cost of our 50,000+ troops currently stationed in Germany (you know, cause WWII is still happening) is over $2,500,000,000, or 5.8 times as much as public broadcasting. So why does NOBODY on the right ever mention this? Big Bird has much more of an impact on this country than some troops coaching their son's little league team in Germany. In fact, the 2.5 billion number is grossly underestimated because it does not take all the additional expenses into account.

Imagine if the military was privatized.

Imagine if it was done well....

They'd be flying transformers!

I shudder to think they wouldn't need humans anymore, they'd be 70% robotic and 30% human.

Maybe it's time to privatize the military.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,589,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
This film made in 1945 was intended for US soldiers sent to West Germany after World War-II. This told them why US soldiers are sent to Germany even though peace has been restored and there is no more war in Germany.

Your Job in Germany - YouTube
I have never have seen such a nasty, disgusting piece of propaganda and twisting of history.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
I have never have seen such a nasty, disgusting piece of propaganda and twisting of history.
It was appropriate for the time it was made. There is a growing resurgence of neo nazism in Germany today.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,482,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We should close our bases and shut down PBS.
Next.

exactly. I was never in favor of it before I knew it had a $430 million budget.
When one is spending 1 trillion more annualy then they are bringing in , $430 mil is a hell of a good place to start.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
This film made in 1945 was intended for US soldiers sent to West Germany after World War-II. This told them why US soldiers are sent to Germany even though peace has been restored and there is no more war in Germany.

Your Job in Germany - YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It was appropriate for the time it was made.
Its twisting of history. The Franco-German war of 1871 was instigated by France not Germany. Germany was on the defensive. France was the aggressor.

Quote:
There is a growing resurgence of neo nazism in Germany today.
This is idiocy. There isn't. Right-Wing parties haven't made it in the Bundestag since 1945. Nationalism is rising in other European countries, though.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:

This is idiocy. There isn't. Right-Wing parties haven't made it in the Bundestag since 1945. Nationalism is rising in other European countries, though.
I forgive you accusing me of idiocy. I suggest you do a little more research into the matter. Things are changing subtly here in Germany and other parts of Europe.

Last edited by Bideshi; 10-17-2012 at 04:55 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I forgive you accusing me of idiocy. I suggest you do a little more research into the matter. Things are changing subtly here in Germany.
I have relatives in Germany. They are not changing at all.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
i have relatives in germany. They are not changing at all.
ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies