Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,954,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It should be pretty simple then...if YOU like PBS, write them a check. Or are you only willing to spend OTHER peoples money? Maybe the taxpayers should be funding Glen Beck TV?
I did with my federal taxes. If you are implying that all federal programs should be paid for by individual donations, we will be a faltering country fast!

But then again, you consider Glen Beck an educational show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM

39,960 posts, read 26,738,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I did with my federal taxes. If you are implying that all federal programs should be paid for by individual donations, we will be a faltering country fast!

But then again, you consider Glen Beck an educational show.
I'm asking why the federal government should be funding entertainment...if it can fund PBS, why not GBTV? Both are foolish places for the government to spend taxpayer's money. Individuals are perfectly capable of paying for their entertainmenet of choice.

I listen to quite a bit of NPR...I like their news programs, what few they actually have. Too bad their music selections sound like fingernails on the chalkboard...and their "entertainmenet" sections consist of someone reading from books that no one will buy.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM

23,794 posts, read 17,466,471 times
Default BB gets evaluated by his performance and the teachers value is assigned by time on the job.

BB wouldn't exist without the military. So in this case the arms come before the egg.

BB should get the money if you promise to break up the teachers union. Seems BB is giving the unions a run for their money. BB gets evaluated by his performance and the teachers value is assigned by time on the job.

What was that 430 million isn't much? Huh? Obama disagrees with you. Remember his speech where he was giving everyone 40 dollars and how 40$ was a big deal to families.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 5,007,296 times
Perhaps we should get around to cutting both but the bigger priority is clearly our overstretched military. We don't need to be in Germany anymore.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,951,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Pretty much sums it up.

Stupid people are always easier to manipulate.
Precisely how obama got elected, by manipulating stupid people. Many of those former stupid people are now seeing the light and realize obama lied to them and used them, and they will help put Romney in the WH, after it is disinfected.......
If you don't like being accused of being stupid, now is the time to open your eyes and see the light..!
...or, you can vote for the communist again, but he will lose...!!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,306,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
$430,000,000 is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. That's the capital gains tax on a single $3,000,000,000 (long-term capital gains) stock sale. The government pays for CPB in about 45 minutes worth of trading on the NYSE.
Ah the its a drop in the bucket logic. How about we eliminate as many drops in the bucket as we can then we wont need a bucket the size of Lake erie? I am for reducing overseas bases and downsizing our military. I am also for ending our role as world cop.
That said I want to stop borrowing money from anyone, not just China.
Capital gains taxes. Most middle class with 401k's pay capital gains taxes.
Here is a thought. Before we increase any taxes we first cut all fat and waste out of the fed?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,132,922 times
Quote:
One of the big talking points on the Right is how we can fix all of our budget problems by cutting funding for public broadcasting. The annual budget for the CPB is $430,000,000, which is very little considering the impact that it has. Conversely, the cost of our 50,000+ troops currently stationed in Germany (you know, cause WWII is still happening) is over $2,500,000,000, or 5.8 times as much as public broadcasting.
You should research our current mission in Germany and then you wouldn't make statements like the above that demonstrate your non-understanding of why we have a military presence remaining there.

Mission | EUCOM, Stronger Together

Germany | EUCOM, Stronger Together

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,503,043 times
Quote:
One of the big talking points on the Right is how we can fix all of our budget problems by cutting funding for public broadcasting. The annual budget for the CPB is $430,000,000, which is very little considering the impact that it has. Conversely, the cost of our 50,000+ troops currently stationed in Germany (you know, cause WWII is still happening) is over $2,500,000,000, or 5.8 times as much as public broadcasting. So why does NOBODY on the right ever mention this? Big Bird has much more of an impact on this country than some troops coaching their son's little league team in Germany. In fact, the 2.5 billion number is grossly underestimated because it does not take all the additional expenses into account.

Until we withdraw our troops from Germany, we should never cut a single social or research (like NASA) program. Overseas military spending does not benefit us here in America, social programs and research programs do.
We should end public broadcastings federal funds, and bring all troops home and close all overseas bases.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,954,662 times
My kids enjoyed Sesame Street, and other educational programming, as young children. The public broadcasting channel sure beats the private networks when it comes to constructive and educational children's shows.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,503,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
My kids enjoyed Sesame Street, and other educational programming, as young children. The public broadcasting channel sure beats the private networks when it comes to constructive and educational children's shows.
Only about 4.6% of the PBS broadcasting budget comes from the federal government.

Its not like removing federal funds would kill it.

About NPR: Public Radio Finances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies